Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Extreme Powerbook Usage

Extreme Powerbook Usage
poynter
Mar 18, 2005, 11:56 AM

Im not jumping out of planes with it or anything but I think Im using it much more than most...

I just got a new 12" pbook and I transfered all my stuff from my G5(sold) to it. Only about a half a day of downtime!
So far this week I have spent 7-9 hours a day using photoshop/indesign/freehand/dreamweaver, on projects from websites to layouts for flyers and mini-catalogs.
After work Ive been recording songs in garageband for a couple hours every night....
The fans kicked on last night for the first time...
I havent maxed out the ram yet but I will in a few weeks when I can afford to.

I have the pbook set up with an external display/mouse/KB and Firewire HD at home and in my office...so it has been closed-lid for 99% of the time that i use it for anything serious.

So does anyone think that my pbook will have a shorter life than expected?

I'll be using at about 9-10 hours a day, half of the time doing pretty intense stuff.
-tony

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 12:46 PM

I don't think it'll be a problem. If you're really concerned you could just crack open the screen for better air circulation, but the screen should be alright. If it were me, I'd make sure to put it somewhere where air could circulate the entire machine and wouldn't give it a second thought. Remember this is Apple's "Pro" line of notebooks, so using pro apps for a long period of time is probably what it's designed to do, and while it's no speed demon I don't think you'll notice any issues with it by actually using it the way a Powerbook is supposed to be used. It's good to see somebody put their purchase to good use.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2005, 12:47 PM

computers are designed to be used, usage shouldn't shorten the life unless it's severely overheating

poynter  (op)
Mar 18, 2005, 02:20 PM

right on.
I definitely want to get something to sit it on so that their is better airflow.
I dont have anything around it that would block airflow.

Another thing about this is that when I am ready to upgrade and sell this machine, the display/keyboard and trackpad will be in great shape.

Its amazing how quite this thing is in my studio at home, instead of garageband I was using ACID4.0 on a PC and it had a bunch of fans in a giant bloated tower next to a quiksilver tower.

I'm pretty much replacing three machines with the pbook.
1 PC, a G4 and G5!
-tony

poynter  (op)
Mar 18, 2005, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
and while it's no speed demon...
Its actually much faster than I had expected.
Other than the obvious lack of ram, this thing is just as fast as my G5 1.6 was.
And when Im working on Hi-res images in photoshop as long as they are on the FW drive, its faster than the tower!

So far I am very satisfied with my purchase.

My next step is to ebay all my good PC stuff and accessorize!
-tony

CincyGamer
Mar 18, 2005, 04:33 PM

I cruch folding @home work units, run WoW and use safari to check game maps at the same time. You wont break anything. It runs great.

brother337
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2005, 06:47 PM

I tend to hit my ibook pretty hard and, honestly, it gets hotter than I'd like, so whenever I'm at home at my desk, I use a macmice iBreeze, which really makes a difference.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 01:11 AM

don't worry. I used my 12" during the summer upwards of 12+ hrs a day... usually 8+ hours of that w/o moving the unit and it's fine

this was audio splicing, imaging and general crap

so long as you're not melting your desk, worry not

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules