Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X and arrival to your home Poll

X and arrival to your home Poll (Page 3)
Orion98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2000, 06:56 PM

I got my shipping conformation from Apple today. Hopefully I should have it in my hands by Friday.

[This message has been edited by Orion98 (edited 09-19-2000).]

Gossamer
Sep 19, 2000, 10:16 PM

I ordered my copy on the afternoon of the 15 and it showed "being assembled" up until tonight. I recieved my shipment email notice at 9:17 EST.

My only concern is when I checked the order status page it shows that it shipped but under the item name it says in blue italics "no items shipped"???

I hope this doesn't mean I'm getting an empty package sent to me!?!?!

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 10:21 PM

I order mine right after the page update on the 13th. It shipped on friday the 15th. I just got it today.

Pisses me off FedEX came to my house and didn't knock on the door I was in my Kitchen 6 feet from the front door. They never knocked I happend to look out the windows as they we're driving away.

Anyway I went an picked it up from the warehouse. I seems preetty fast on my G4 500 MP with 1 gig memory. Maybe it's the memory becuase I don't see hardly any lag.

Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

serpciolugnut
Sep 19, 2000, 10:39 PM

I ordered my copy on the 13th at 6:45 am EST. I received my copy today.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it....

As to whether or not I can use this as my day to day OS...Well, ask me in a week...

But, so far, so good....

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 10:59 PM

I ordered mine on the 13th. Got an email Sunday saying it shipped. Came home today (Tuesday) hoping to have it. Nope. Instead, I got another email saying it shipped today, What the hell is that. I now have two emails saying that it was shipped on two different days with tracking number(s) that still don't work. There are a lot of four letter words I want to type right now, but I'll be nice. Hey, maybe I'll get a copy for free - yeah right.

Mac Jackal
Sep 20, 2000, 12:56 AM

I ordered mine on the 13th about 7:20am PST. I received an e-mail on Saturday saying it had shipped and another e-mail on Monday saying it had shipped.

I received the software today at 1:00pm, but the CD was cracked! Boy am I mad!

Just kidding, the CD was fine...hah!!!
My first impressions of the OS is it is the best thing since sliced bread...

yippeee! It will arrive folks...my sympathies to those still waiting.

Alex Rodriguez
Sep 20, 2000, 12:59 AM

Ordered mine via FedEx on 9-14 at 4pm EST. Today (9-19), got an email that it shipped. The OrderStatus page says that 1 item shipped and it gives a tracking number. The FedEx tracking results say that the service type is "Fedex 2Day Service". Hmm. Is Apple upgrading everyone to 2 day service if they ordered via FedEX? Dunno. My package was picked up from "Rancho Cordova, CA" at 4:51 PM. I'll post an update when I get the beta..

afterimage
Sep 20, 2000, 01:18 AM

I have perhaps one of the most bizarre orders. Ordered Wednesday, shipped today (early morning) from Apple's Laguna, Calif. plant. Maybe all of seven miles away from me. And can I go pick it up at will call? No!

So, I'm looking at a UPS tracking screen (my number works!) that says it left and arrived in Sacramento, Calif. at 5:36 and 5:37 EDT. Must have been some road trip.

So, hopefully, I'll see the final departure scan tomorrow morning really early. Heck, maybe I can track it block by block as it travels the five miles or so to my house from the UPS depot.

Oh well, the anticipaion actually got me to clear a HD partition for installation.

mjuarez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 03:41 AM

I ordered September 13th 6:54 AM PST using FedEx 3 Day. Arrived September 19th 11:30 AM.

I'm also quite displeased on the packaging method Apple has used. They put the slim portfolio inside a box that can fit an iSub. Apple could have saved money by putting them in a reinforced fedex mailer envelope.

technohedz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 04:34 AM

Although I received my order in four days ups I kept receiving notices about my tracking number or appleologies for any inconvenience (2 after I got OSX so far) so I think apple probably sent out the emails to everyone with an order or erroneous tracking number and I wouldn't use it as a guage for how backlogged your order is. Hope everyone gets theres soon
-t

imacman11  (op)
Sep 20, 2000, 12:46 PM

Dammit...checked the mail...still no freaking X...

Not that I am bitter...

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.
------------------
[email protected]
------------------
www.themacgod.com

Barked
Sep 20, 2000, 01:08 PM

I ordered mine on Friday 9-15 and received it on 9-18.

Barked
Sep 20, 2000, 01:10 PM

I ordered mine on Friday 9-15 and received it on 9-18.

Orion98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 03:43 PM

FedEx tracking shows that my CD sat at Rancho Cordova, CA for nine hours yesterday waiting for a later pickup until it was shipped out of Oakland, CA at 4am this morning. I'm hoping it'll be here tomorrow since it says 2 day shipping...

aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 05:07 PM

I called today at 4:00 PM EDT and was on hold for a half hour (Why do they have Customer Service Directors or whatever that 'higher-up' option is when you call? These people just dump you into the call pool for the peons.) Anyway, here's the latest 'story' I've been told by Apple, via Customer Service:

/rant on

According to a CSR named Dina (pronounced Deena), even though the Apple Store Order Status says my copy of OS X Beta *shipped* on the 14th of September, the *truth* of the matter is that it didn't. That date simply represents the date on which my order went from 'being assembled' to 'shipped.' That just means it went into a FIFO pool (first in, first out (an accounting practice)). Naturally, therefore, orders *received by Apple* on the 13th get shipped first. That's understandable. Dina then told me *my* copy of OS X shipped out *today, 09/19*, and I should get it "no later than 09/22". In summation, it took them *four days* to prepare my copy for shipment (allowing for having the weekend off). What kind of preparation takes *four days*???

I will never order anything 'expedited' again from the Apple Store.

/rant off

[This message has been edited by aapl4ever (edited 09-20-2000).]

Can_opener
Sep 20, 2000, 05:11 PM

I ordered my copy on the 13th at about 8am PST and though the Apple Store has shown it shipped for 3 days, I have still not received my copy despite the $10 I threw down for FedEx delivery. It has been over a week now!

jtvoorhies
Sep 20, 2000, 06:10 PM

I finally got the Beta...

I ordered mine about 9:20a Est time on Wed, 9/13/00. It didn't "ship" until Saturday, 9/16/00. It had the wrong tracking number, so I couldn't track it.
I received it today (Wednesday, 9/20/00).

They sent it in a large cardboard box. The person who signed for me thought it was empty!

Oh well. So far so good. I finally got it. I'm posting this from IE for OS X.

afterimage
Sep 20, 2000, 09:37 PM

Ordered: Sept. 13 @ 5 a.m. PDT
Confirmed: Sept. 13 @ 7 a.m. PDT
Being Assembled: Sept. 16 @ 2 p.m. PDT
(evidently my card didn't pass through the first time. Apple Store was very helpful in moving things along.)

Shipped: Sept. 19 (really early in the morning PDT)

Arrived and signed for: Sept. 20 11 a.m.
(living seven miles away from Apple's order fulfillment center has its advantages.)

Installed: As soon as I leave work.

Cl
Sep 20, 2000, 11:53 PM

Ordered on 17th, shipped on the 19th.

I have to wait til next Monday for being cheap.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2000, 01:25 AM

Well, I got mine today! Went to the FedEx site and placed my number and it was on the Van this morning at 6:36, kept checking all day and finally at 2:15 it was signed for at 1:50p. This is sick, tracking something like this! Hehe.

Come 4:00 p.m I left work in a hurry (90mph on 35mph streets!) loaded up the first G4 and then FINALLY I have MacOS X in my machine!

BTW I placed my order at 7:15 a.m. Wednesday (announcement day) and had the order in a little over a week. Now I all I can use though is Appleworks, Omniweb and that's it. I need OS X native (or carbon ) applications!

Camali

jwbaumann
Sep 21, 2000, 02:11 AM

Ordered pm of the 13th (tried in am, store down). "Shipped" on Saturday, but when I got a valid tracking number, it didn't actually leave the dock until 2am Tuesday! I got it noonish Wednesday the 20th (Mpls MN).

Bought a whole new G4 with 320Meg RAM and 2 ATA drives just for OSXPB. Installed easily. A *nix buddy liked it lots, especially the terminal window/command line.

Overall first impression - I miss the control panels and Speed Doubler's keyboard shortcuts, and it's still rough around the edges. Apple had better not underestimate the importance of making sure the Classic environment runs well.

aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 01:02 PM

Update:

Ordered: Sept. 13 (Expedited 3-Day, $10)
Being Assembled: Sept. 13
'Shipped' : Sept. 14
*Actually* 'Shipped': Sept. 19
Left Fed Ex Ramp: OAKLAND, CA 09/21/2000 00:45 (quarter to 1:00 in the morning

Airbill Number : (provided)
* Delivered To :
* Delivery Location : MANCHESTER NH
* Delivery Date : 00/00/0000
* Delivery Time :
* Signed For By :
* Status Exception : Future pickup/delivery requested
* Scan Activity :
* Left FedEx Ramp OAKLAND CA 09/21/2000 00:45
* Left FedEx Origin Location RANCHO CORDOVA CA 09/20/2000 22:58
* Pickup Exception RANCHO CORDOVA CA 09/20/2000 15:42

Should I be pissed? I think so.

cdeakin
Sep 21, 2000, 01:07 PM

Victoria, BC

Orginally ordered on September 13. Informed today that it will ship in the next few days, can expect it in the next two weeks. Nothing like waiting...

aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 01:20 PM

I just called Fed Ex. When I gave them my Airbill number, they told me 'it's two-day shipping, and we received it on the 20th, so you should be getting the package...tomorrow, the 22.'

So, why am I not happy?

ntsc
Senior User
Sep 21, 2000, 01:47 PM

Ordered mine on Tuesday 19th and it has SHIPPED!! Hopefully by Monday or there abouts.

------------------
"It is easy to be brave
from a safe distance"
-Aesop
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2000, 02:13 PM

I ordered my copy at 0530 EST on September 13th, and I chased the FedEx girl down the street yesterday before she drove away with it (9/20)
Bob Morel

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

draegEn
Sep 21, 2000, 04:22 PM

Ordered 10am Wednesday, Sept 13th
Arrived 2pm Tuesday, Sept 19th (Three day Fed-Ex, huh? what was that?)

Loaded 8pm Tuesday, Sept 19th (B&W G3, 350 Mhz, 192M)

Love it!

TikTokk
Sep 21, 2000, 05:12 PM

Ordered seconds after available.
Shipped 10:30pm 9/15.
Arrived 12:30pm 9/21.

bashyal
Sep 21, 2000, 05:56 PM

I ordered it on morning of 13th, still haven't received it. I was hoping to play with it this week, but doesn't look like it ?

Anybody in Minneapolis, got theirs yet ?

davi
Sep 21, 2000, 09:11 PM

I live in Melbourne, Australia, and I got mine delivered from the Apple Store yesterday (Thursday 21) - exactly 1 week after I ordered it. I ordered it the morning after Steve Jobs made the announcement. The order status said 7 days. The Apple employees on the phone had said "ignore it. It'll be at least 21 days," but I got it in 7!

Mr.Bombastik
Sep 22, 2000, 01:46 PM

Ordered 9/13, 8 AM EDT. (As an ADC Student member, I would get a copy for free, but that version is under NDA so I can't install it here at work. Besides, I'm impatient. :-)

Got the shipment email(s) on Saturday, and found out about the bad tracking number situation. When it didn't show yesterday I finally broke down and called Apple last night and got my correct tracking number...plugged it in and here's what I got (sorry if it doesn't format right):

Sep 21, 2000 � 7:04 P.M. � CACH, IL, US � LOCATION SCAN
� � 7:02 P.M. � CACH, IL, US � LOCATION SCAN
� � 5:27 P.M. � MARION, IL, US � RECEIVER NOT IN ON 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT
Sep 18, 2000 � 6:25 P.M. � SACRAMENTO, CA, US � LOCATION SCAN
Sep 15, 2000 � 11:51 P.M. � NORTH BAY HUB, CA, US � DEPARTURE SCAN
� � 8:35 P.M. � NORTH BAY HUB, CA, US � ARRIVAL SCAN
� � 7:16 P.M. � SACRAMENTO, CA, US � DEPARTURE SCAN
� � 6:14 P.M. � SACRAMENTO, CA, US � ORIGIN SCAN

There's only one problem with this: it's supposed to be shipped to me in Bethesda, MD. D'oh! I called Apple today to make sure I had the right number and found out that it is correct and that they have the proper shipping address on record, so either Apple's shipment dept. screwed up or UPS has gone insane. The guy I spoke to said he would try and find out and get back to me later this afternoon, so we'll see what's what.

BTW, if you're calling the Store to vent, have some sympathy. I used to work as a telephone support rep (not for Apple, but supporting Macs across the country) and I can tell you from experience it's no fun when some external force over which you have no control makes your job miserable. I guarantee there are people on the phones who are ten times as p.o'd about the shipment situation as anybody on this forum, but for different reasons. (my 2 cents)

Mr.Bombastik
Sep 22, 2000, 08:51 PM

Wonders never cease. When I got home tonight, my developer copy of OS X beta was waiting for me.

I have installed it.

Joy!

mneal
Sep 22, 2000, 11:42 PM

I ordered my OS X about 6am EST last Wed. I also ordered a Pro Keyboard. I called Saturday and they told me they were waiting on the keyboard. I asked would they ship seperately. I thought they would ship and not wait on back ordered items. Anyway, they told me they would ship Monday. Well, I got an email on Tuesday saying that it shipped. It actually shipped Wed. Since I paid Fedex, it said 2 days. Fedex told me it would be here today by 4:30pm. No luck. It left Oakland, but there has been no further scans. They said that it would be here tomorrow (Sat.) or Monday (if no Sat. delivery). BTW, my keyboard shipped today as well. I may have it first.

MacFan
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2000, 08:59 PM

Ordered the beta within 30 minutes of it being available and just got it Friday. Had been running it for about a week already though as I had been able to get a copy of it by other means after I placed my order.

Running on a G4/400 w/192MB RAM and it runs really smooth. No crashes and looks gorgeous. Makes OS 9 GUI look really bad.

Can't wait for more apps though then it will really take off.

cianci66
Sep 23, 2000, 09:11 PM

I ordered mine 7:30 am EST on the 13th. I used the UPS shipping. I got an email saying it shipped on the 16th. On the 19 I got a second email saying it shiped. I still haven't gotten my copy yet. Has anyone in the north east gotten their copy yet who used UPS? When I bought my G4 it didn't take this long to get it to my house after it shipped.

cianci66
Sep 23, 2000, 09:13 PM

I ordered mine 7:30 am EST on the 13th. I used the UPS shipping. I got an email saying it shipped on the 16th. On the 19 I got a second email saying it shiped. I still haven't gotten my copy yet. Has anyone in the north east gotten their copy yet who used UPS? When I bought my G4 it didn't take this long to get it to my house after it shipped.

pdmarsh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2000, 10:10 PM

I ordered mine on 9/13/00 11:21 a.m. PDT from Sacramento, CA, but didn't receive it until 9/19/00 (3 day shipping, indeed!).
- Dave Marsh

dogrivervt
Sep 24, 2000, 02:28 PM

I ordered mine about 7am on 9/13... was told it shipped 9/16, but after getting the *correct* UPS number found out it was really shipped the 19th...

the latest posting I have is they put it on a truck for Massachusetts on 9/21... and the UPS site states it's going to arrive 9/27.

LONG wait. Now I wished I ordered 3 day delivery.. BUT getting the correct UPS number helps (otherwise I'd be like "WHERE IS IT??")

Getting the right number requires a LONG wait on the phone.. fortunately I have a speaker phone at work and a door to my office....

dogrivervt
Sep 24, 2000, 02:41 PM

I ordered mine about 7am on 9/13... was told it shipped 9/16, but after getting the *correct* UPS number found out it was really shipped the 19th...

the latest posting I have is they put it on a truck for Massachusetts on 9/21... and the UPS site states it's going to arrive 9/27.

LONG wait. Now I wished I ordered 3 day delivery.. BUT getting the correct UPS number helps (otherwise I'd be like "WHERE IS IT??")

Getting the right number requires a LONG wait on the phone.. fortunately I have a speaker phone at work and a door to my office....

imacman11  (op)
Sep 25, 2000, 04:50 PM

OK...first of all, I *finally* got the freaking OSXb...after waiting nearly two weeks for it, even though I ordered it the morning it came out and my friend ordered it middle of last week and got it before I did...not that I am bitter...

Anyway, to allay any suspicions about it, my iMac works fine with OSX...of course it took some playing around, but here is what I have...
iMac Rev.A
256MBRAM
40GB HD
6MB VRAM
Voodoo 2
466mhz upgrade (iMaxpwr)

I have my HD partitioned into 8 drives...the first partition being the OS 9 startup (which is recommended if you install OSX on another partition.).
I found out after trying to install OSX on multiple partitions that it only likes to be on the second partition...or else you'll probably get what I got: A grey screen...that's all...
The second partition being the one that is right after the OS9 partition.
Also, curiously, I have no sound in OSX, but everything else seems to work fine...It's big, bad, and way beautiful...but there is a crap load to learn....
If anyone has any info as to why I might have no sound, I'd appreciate it.

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.
------------------
[email protected]
------------------
www.themacgod.com

rdw
Sep 29, 2000, 11:51 AM

Ordered mine the first day it was available. Did'nt get it till Sept 27 due to UPS needing a signature. When I got it the CD was not useable in my Powerbook because the way it was packed caused the CD to warp. Was able to use it but only after placing under my powerbook all night (with it on and charging) to "iron it out" I'll never complain about the heat generated from my powerbook again....

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2000, 09:34 AM

That was rich RDW, good Mac ingenuity.

I ordered the PB on the 13th but paid by cashier's check.
Called Apple the 27th and asked them to ship OS X ahead of the G4-500 I also ordered and it was on my doorstep the 29th. I think the G4 shipped the 29th, hopefully it will be here Monday or Tuesday.

I still give Apple a "thumbs up".

Forum Links
Forum Rules