Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Odd Mac OS 10.5 Issue

Odd Mac OS 10.5 Issue
brschetgen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 02:50 PM

I haven't been able to find this issue anywhere in all of my searching...

Since installing Leopard on my Summer 2006 MacBook (both Upgrade & Install and later Erase & Install) I experience random periods of what I can only describe as "Loss of Write Permission to Any Disk." I cannot save files, empty the trash, write to a flash drive, print, sync my e-mail, etc. I can do things like browse the Internet via Safari, however upon restart any website that I visited does not show up in history... it is as if I never went there.

At first I thought it was just an issue with the fact that I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, then after the Erase & Install I decided my HDD was going bad until I found that I couldn't write to a Flash Drive either. Any ideas?

No... Repair Disk Permissions didn't do me any good either.
White MacBook/2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/160 GB HDD/2 GB RAM
iPhone/4 GB
Black iPod Nano (1st Gen)/2 GB

ibook_steve
Feb 29, 2008, 02:59 PM

Everything has to do with the internal drive, even the ability to write to an external drive (or flash drive). If there's a problem with the boot volume, nothing is going to work correctly.

Try using the guest account in Leopard or set up a test user account and see if you have the same problem. If so, you may need to try an OS reinstall. If you still have the problem after that, it's time to replace that drive.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

brschetgen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the input... It seems no matter what I try I get the same result. I finally broke down and bought a replacement drive from OWC. I guess it's a good excuse to double my HDD space for fairly little $$.
White MacBook/2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/160 GB HDD/2 GB RAM
iPhone/4 GB
Black iPod Nano (1st Gen)/2 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules