Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Air: 11.6" $999, 13.3" $1299

New MacBook Air: 11.6" $999, 13.3" $1299 (Page 4)
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I just finished reading the review and the article seems fairly balanced in its presentation of the MBA. They note some of the short comings like the lack of a backlit keyboard, and what I didn't realize, no sleep light indicator. That is no pulsating light to show the laptop is sleeping/on or off.

Still, for many users, the 11" MacBook Air is going to seem like a really nice, but really expensive netbook. Granted, performance should beat Atom-based solutions, and the keyboard is full-sized, but that's not going to be a great value prospect for users who really need the full power of a current-generation laptop.
I think this quote basically sums it up, not that I want to get into a netbook/not a netbook debate. The gist is you're paying a high price for a slower computer. What you get for that price is an ultra mobile computer that will out perform atom based netbooks. Plus unlike other small netbooks, its keyboard is better.
~Mike

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 09:55 AM

Heh.

What "sums it up" is - as with anything actually balanced - entirely up to what you read into it.

Vis the paragraph JUST preceding what you quoted, which basically "sums it up":

In the extended week we spent with the 11" MacBook Air, we found it very easy to carry and very easy to get accustomed to using. For anyone involved in writing in particular, it's hard not to recommend it as a true spiritual successor to the venerable 12" PowerBook G4. It also packs a lot of the of the performance of the 13" MacBook Pro in a package that is half the weight and a couple hundred dollars less.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 10:04 AM

I think both sum it up.

It's a very high-priced netbook, but one with a much better overall design, much lighter weight for the size, and better keyboard. In fact, I think it's the nicest netbook out there, but you pay a hefty premium for it.

To put it another way, I still think it's expensive for what you get, but some of its drawbacks are outweighed by its benefits over the competition. If it were $200 less, which is still $300 more than the competition, I'd consider buying it now. But since it isn't $200 less than it is, I'll just wait for version B and the education rebates (which won't be available until next year, if at all).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 10:13 AM

So its a powerful but massively overpriced netbook. Or an underpowered, undersized, massively overpriced laptop.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 10:18 AM

The hard part about pricing is factoring in looks and weight.

Losing 1 lb off the weight plus the nicer slim design is worth a couple of hundred bux to me, for a laptop/netbook. For a desktop, not so much.

In fact, I'd wish the iMacs were 0.5" thicker and/or an inch or so wider if it meant they could get rid of that stupid chin.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 01:19 PM

Heh.

What "sums it up" is - as with anything actually balanced - entirely up to what you read into it.
Well to me the quote sums up the article.
~Mike

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
So its a powerful but massively overpriced netbook. Or an underpowered, undersized, massively overpriced laptop.
I'd say its more like a massively more powerful netbook, then an undersized laptop.

The whole "MBA is a netbook" argument takes away from the actual debate as to whether the 11" MBA is a good fit for your needs.

I have a dell mini 10v, that barely works for me. Its ok, but the keyboard is cramped, the trackpad is awful and the performance is acceptable for only the basic of tasks.

That mini cost me 225 bucks, for 1,000 (or there abouts), I can have a slightly larger screen, a good keyboard a trackpad that's much better and performance that allows me to do most anything I need. Its not meant as a desktop replacement (at least not for my needs) but in a pinch I can use vmware and aperture on this and it will handle it. I cannot use either application on the dell mini.

Does that make it worth the increased price? Some will say yes, some will say no.
~Mike

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
In fact, I'd wish the iMacs were 0.5" thicker and/or an inch or so wider if it meant they could get rid of that stupid chin.
I wish people would just stop complaining about the chin, half a decade after the fact. It's a part of the design.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I'd say its more like a massively more powerful netbook, then an undersized laptop.

The whole "MBA is a netbook" argument takes away from the actual debate as to whether the 11" MBA is a good fit for your needs.

I have a dell mini 10v, that barely works for me. Its ok, but the keyboard is cramped, the trackpad is awful and the performance is acceptable for only the basic of tasks.

That mini cost me 225 bucks, for 1,000 (or there abouts), I can have a slightly larger screen, a good keyboard a trackpad that's much better and performance that allows me to do most anything I need. Its not meant as a desktop replacement (at least not for my needs) but in a pinch I can use vmware and aperture on this and it will handle it. I cannot use either application on the dell mini.

Does that make it worth the increased price? Some will say yes, some will say no.
For around $500 you can get a 12" netbook/laptop (with a full-sized keyboard) that will handle VMware and Lightroom. However, it will weigh well over 3 lbs and it will likely feel cheap.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I wish people would just stop complaining about the chin, half a decade after the fact. It's a part of the design.
I wish people would stop giving Apple a free pass for ergonomically poor design choices just because they're Apple.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 01:40 PM

For around $500 you can get a 12" netbook/laptop (with a full-sized keyboard) that will handle VMware and Lightroom. However, it will weigh well over 3 lbs and it will likely feel cheap.
Agreed, and I do flip flop between using aperture and LR.

Since my company pays up to half of the cost of a new computer, I can get the MBA for about 600 bucks next January so for me, its a moot point.

The dell mini 10v that I have fits a need until then, and I turned it into a hackintosh. Performance of an atom processor and OSX probably worse then that of windows. I may reload Ubuntu but connectivty to my companies networks is a pain with linux and flash is horrible in linux so I'd rather live with more over with OSX but have all the features I need vs. a faster OS but it doesn't do all that I need.
~Mike

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 01:43 PM

I wish people would stop giving Apple a free pass for ergonomically poor design choices just because they're Apple.
It's not Apple's fault that your desktop is too high.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 01:56 PM

Well, for people outside this forum, the Air seems to be a smash hit. The casual user Apple is aiming for probably doesn't do anything beyond using the pre-installed apps, web surfing, and maybe light iPhoto/iMovie use. It's no surprise they are selling like hotcakes.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 01:58 PM

I wonder if the 64-bit release of Flash will help or hinder MBA battery life (vs. 10.1)?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Well, for people outside this forum, the Air seems to be a smash hit. The casual user Apple is aiming for probably doesn't do anything beyond using the pre-installed apps, web surfing, and maybe light iPhoto/iMovie use. It's no surprise they are selling like hotcakes.
No argument. The other forums I frequent are replete with folks who have purchased an MBA, will be buying one shortly or wish they could.
~Mike

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 02:41 PM

The dell mini 10v that I have fits a need until then, and I turned it into a hackintosh. Performance of an atom processor and OSX probably worse then that of windows. I may reload Ubuntu but connectivty to my companies networks is a pain with linux and flash is horrible in linux so I'd rather live with more over with OSX but have all the features I need vs. a faster OS but it doesn't do all that I need.
Atom in some ways would be unusable for me in OS X. I like to watch videos on my "play" machines, and I want my netbook to be able to play the 1080p H.264 videos I have without having to bother transcoding them. That's another reason I didn't get the iPad by the way.

Windows apps have much, much better support for GPU acceleration than OS X does. However, a faster 11.6" Air in 2011 probably will have no problem with OS X 1080p playback.

It's not Apple's fault that your desktop is too high.
Another Apple apologist.

Actually, the desktop height is appropriately set up for proper ergonomics. In fact, the desk on which the iMac sits is height adjustable... although in my case it isn't really necessary, since it turns out the right desk height for me is the same height as my non-adjustable desks.

It's Apple's fault that designed the iMac with no height adjustability, other than with a clunky 3rd party VESA solution, which isn't a great solution since the chin is still in the way and because the speakers point downward into the desk.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 4, 2010 at 02:50 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 02:44 PM

If Apple designed an iMac the way you speak, it'd be hella ugly.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 02:51 PM

If Apple designed an iMac the way you speak, it'd be hella ugly.
What, you mean like the chinless Cinema Display?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2010, 03:24 PM

No. The Cinema Display is not height adjustable and has speakers in the same place as the iMac. It would have to have a more complex support system in back and speakers that either are on the front face or angle outwards from the bottom.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 04:14 PM

Another Apple apologist.
Please hand in your cultural cliché card and have a seat outside in the hallway, next to voodoo.

It's GERMANS who supposedly have no sense of humour.

I'd have thought my remark was way too obviously tongue-in-cheek.

P
Nov 4, 2010, 07:23 PM

I wonder if the 64-bit release of Flash will help or hinder MBA battery life (vs. 10.1)?
I doubt the effect will be significant either way.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2010, 08:47 PM

No. The Cinema Display is not height adjustable and has speakers in the same place as the iMac. It would have to have a more complex support system in back and speakers that either are on the front face or angle outwards from the bottom.
Sounds like a lampshade iMac, which IMO was the most beautiful iMac ever created.

Yes, it'd sure be nice to have a height adjustable Cinema Display, but at least it's chinless. Anyways, it's not difficult at all to have a decent looking stand that telescopes up and down. They already exist in fact, but aren't as thin as the Cinema Display's stand. Apple could just put a minimum height limit that wasn't as high as it is currently. Again, form over function.

Anyways… A colleague just got the new 13.3" Air. He really likes it, because of the much lesser weight compared to his 13" MacBook Pro. I personally still don't have much desire for one though, because of the footprint.

To my surprise, he really feels the loss of performance compared to the 13" MacBook pro. I wasn't predicting he necessarily would feel much of a slowdown, esp. since he had a standard hard drive in 13.3" MacBook Pro, not an SSD as in the new Air, and since AFAIK he doesn't do very much complex on that machine. He mostly uses it for business apps I believe. If anything I might have guessed the 1.86 GHz Air would feel more responsive because of the SSD.

For me though, I think I'd be happy with a 1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo. It's just the 1.4 GHz of the 11.6" that worries me somewhat. And it's a little concerning that the battery life still ain't great on the 11.6".

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 06:41 AM

Sounds like a lampshade iMac, which IMO was the most beautiful iMac ever created.
I'd probably agree with you there, but I also think the G4 cube could also be as well.
~Mike

P
Nov 5, 2010, 07:01 AM

Only issue is that it didn't sell...

Actually I can agree that its beautiful, but horribly impractical and the worst possible shape for effective cooling. It only worked because the G4 in it had a TDP comparable to a modern Atom.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Only issue is that it didn't sell...
I know. It was horrendously overpriced compared to the competition, yet Apple increased the price later. Part of the overpricing was due to the LCD though, when everyone else was shipping CRT.

However, my comment was a response to his contention that an adjustable iMac had to be ugly.

Actually I can agree that its beautiful, but horribly impractical and the worst possible shape for effective cooling. It only worked because the G4 in it had a TDP comparable to a modern Atom.
Yep. Cooling design is bad, but then again, I'm not sure it's horribly impractical in the sense that it's way more ergonomic than any other desktop Mac ever made.

But like I said, it's actually a pretty common design to have a up-down telescoping stand, but Apple refuses to do it for whatever reason, perhaps because the stand wouldn't be thin.

---

So any more reports of 11.6" video issues? It seems to have gone rather quiet on that front.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2010, 09:16 AM

The adjustable, "ergonomic" design of the G4 iMac will possibly return, of sorts, as Apple integrates touch screens into their computers.

We know it's complete idiocy and gimmickry to have vertical touchscreens, but this Apple patent might be a sign of things to come:

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2010, 11:43 AM

I wonder how much reflection would be an issue with the flex base as shown? I mean most businesses use over head lighting so the glare might be horrible.
~Mike

OreoCookie
Nov 5, 2010, 02:26 PM

I agree, it was beautiful, the iMac G4 really had a personality of its own. I remember when it was announced that Steve said something like: so you think it'll look something like a screen? Eeeeh, no! A few years later when Schiller announced the iMac G5, that's exactly what it looked like
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Nov 6, 2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I agree, it was beautiful, the iMac G4 really had a personality of its own. I remember when it was announced that Steve said something like: so you think it'll look something like a screen? Eeeeh, no! A few years later when Schiller announced the iMac G5, that's exactly what it looked like
I think he talked about "roads not taken", designs that didn't pan out. One was a bigger iMac with a 17" CRT screen, the other was a mac with verything behind the display panel. The first became the eMac, and the second became the iMac G5.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2010, 12:41 PM

Anand: Apple's 11-inch Upgraded MacBook Air: Do 1.6GHz and 4GB Make a Difference?

The 11-inch MacBook Air may be portable perfection, but by default it’s not the perfect notebook. It’s slow, the battery doesn’t last all that long under actual use and the screen resolution, although appreciably high, makes things a little difficult to read.

The 1.6GHz/4GB upgrade comes at a steep cost but it directly attacks one of those complaints. There’s a tangible difference in regular use between the base and upgraded models. While I wouldn’t consider either fast, I’d say that extra 10 - 20% performance increase you get from the upgraded CPU and memory makes a very big difference. If all you’re doing is writing and web browsing I’m not sure it’s necessary, but anything beyond that could probably make use of the upgraded specs.

At $1399 there's almost no way to rationally justify the price and rest assured that within 12 - 18 months Apple will have a much faster version available, likely at an even cheaper price point. The upgrade obviously does nothing to address that part of the equation. You do get a pretty good display, great form factor and of course the ability to run OS X, but any way you look at it $1399 is a lot for a lightweight notebook. Then again, I did pay a lot more than that for my first Transmeta notebook about a decade ago.

---

This is the first I've heard anyone complain about the pixel density. I guess that is a consideration for some. Personally, I wouldn't mind a slightly lower pixel density, but 1366x768 on that screen is OK because it would not be my primary work machine, and it's a small laptop / big netbook after all.

The adjustable, "ergonomic" design of the G4 iMac will possibly return, of sorts, as Apple integrates touch screens into their computers.

We know it's complete idiocy and gimmickry to have vertical touchscreens, but this Apple patent might be a sign of things to come:

I like it. I don't care about the touch screen part (yet), but the hinged stand could help for ergonomics greatly.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2010, 09:49 AM

AnandTech: Previewing AMD's Brazos, Part 1: More Details on Zacate/Ontario and Fusion

Ontario (9 W)
1.0 GHz dual-core <-- Meh
1.2 GHz single-core <-- Yuck

Zacate (18 W)
1.6 GHz dual-core <-- Nice for a net top.
1.5 GHz single-core <-- Meh

I guess we won't be seeing Ontario in the MacBook Air line.

P.S. I find it curious the faster clocked 1.6 is the dual-core model.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 9, 2010 at 11:05 AM. )

P
Nov 9, 2010, 10:39 AM

Did they switch the Zacate/Ontario names? In any case, they seem to be the same silicon with different parts turned on and off and clockspeeds adjusted.

Total Zacate platform TDP is 21 W. 11" MBA has 10W CPU and 12W 9400M, so Zacate would fit there. The question is CPU performance and how well Zacate can manage to keep idle power down. A similar piece at Tom's implies that AMD has succeded quite well there.

Zacate is at 40nm, but AMD has plans for 28nm in a year or so. That should be interesting.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2010, 12:04 PM

P
Nov 9, 2010, 01:41 PM

]Vison benefits are, according to AMD:
  • Listen to music
  • View photos
  • Watch DVD
  • Watch movies and online videos
  • Surf the Internet
  • Use email

So... if a computer doesn't have Visionâ„¢, I can't use email on it? WTF is this?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2010, 06:38 PM

Hmmm... Come to think of it, Arrandale Core i3 is 18 W TDP, and comes with Intel HD graphics.

If Apple were to release an 11.6" MacBook Air with a 1.33 GHz Core i3 + Intel HD, I'd probably be satisfied. It'd be significantly faster than 1.6 GHz dual-core Zacate for the CPU, but it would also have enough GPU power to play back HD H.264 with all the goodies, while having better battery life than Core 2 Duo + nVidia.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2010, 12:03 AM

You can get a 1.46Ghz i7 (turbo to 2.13/2.53Ghz) in an 18W TDP... I just bought one. Should stomp that 2 year old C2D thing.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
You can get a 1.46Ghz i7 (turbo to 2.13/2.53Ghz) in an 18W TDP... I just bought one. Should stomp that 2 year old C2D thing.
Well, I was being more pragmatic. I don't expect Apple to put an i7 in a 11.6" MacBook Air any time soon. A Core i3 1.2 GHz with 1.33 GHz (or possibly i5) optional upgrade seems more likely.

BTW, how's the Intel HD graphics on your mobile i7?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2010, 01:38 AM

Hasn't shipped yet; MicroCenter only stocked the i5.

OreoCookie
Nov 10, 2010, 04:17 AM

How much did you pay?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Nov 10, 2010, 04:46 AM

Well, I was being more pragmatic. I don't expect Apple to put an i7 in a 11.6" MacBook Air any time soon. A Core i3 1.2 GHz with 1.33 GHz (or possibly i5) optional upgrade seems more likely.

BTW, how's the Intel HD graphics on your mobile i7?
Intel's naming is tripping you up. The difference between i3 and i5 is the presence of turbo and the difference between i5 and i7 is the last meg of L3 cache. The TDP doesn't go up. The model priced to replace the SU9400/SU9600 in the current 11" MBA is either the i7-620UM or i7-640UM.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 10:07 AM

Intel's naming is tripping you up. The difference between i3 and i5 is the presence of turbo and the difference between i5 and i7 is the last meg of L3 cache. The TDP doesn't go up. The model priced to replace the SU9400/SU9600 in the current 11" MBA is either the i7-620UM or i7-640UM.
It's not the TDP. It's the performance. Apple tends to have crappier performance in the smaller machines on purpose, so they wouldn't put an i7 in the 11.6.

I wouldn't buy an i7 11.6" anyway if the cost was higher.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 01:14 PM

I guess we won't be seeing Ontario in the MacBook Air line.
Maybe not Ontario. But how about Zacate?

AMD Fusion presto nei sistemi Apple? - Hardware Upgrade - Il sito italiano sulla tecnologia - www.hwupgrade.it

Well, maybe not. No MacBooks shown there. Zacate isn't really designed for non-mini Mac desktops, so perhaps AMD is just talking about GPUs for Apple in these pictures.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 10, 2010 at 01:31 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
How much did you pay?
$850 at Newegg, plus the 240GB OCZ SSD for $420.

The i7 also turbos a lot more than the i5.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2010, 02:29 AM

Finally checked out the 11.6" Air today, when I brought in my defective 27" iMac.

It's gorgeous. At first I was wondering why the screen seemed so tiny, but then I realized some joker had upped the zoom size on Safari. It was as if I was looking at a 900xXXX screen or something. After I adjusted the zoom to normal, it looked like I was expecting, slightly bigger than the iBook for practical surfing use.

However, I was quite perturbed by the screen hinge. Every time I moved the computer, the screen flopped back a bit. I thought it might just be that unit, so I checked the one next to it. Same thing. Of course, there are a bazillion people every day checking out the machine in the store, but the MBPs don't seem to suffer the same issue. Certainly my MBP doesn't feel like that.

So, I'm very tempted to get a $399 Pentium SU4100 11.6" Acer 1810TZ with Windows 7 right now, and perhaps may pick up an Air at version B, with a Core i3, Intel HD (+ dedicated GPU?), 128 GB SSD, and an updated hinge.

EDIT:

Ordered the Acer 1810TZ. We'll see how it stacks up in real world usage, but these are the specs, for under $400:

Pentium SU4100 1.3 GHz with 2 MB L2 cache, TDP 10 Watts.
(It's basically the same as the MacBook Air's CULV Core 2 Duo, but 0.1 GHz slower, and with 1 MB L2 of the 3 MB deactivated.)
Intel 4500MHD graphics (which is supported by Flash 10.1's GPU acceleration).
2 GB DDR2 667 (expandable to 4 GB)
250 GB 5400 rpm hard drive
USB x 3
VGA + HDMI
Crappy webcam
WiFi abgn
Windows 7 Home Premium
6-cell battery with claimed 8 hour battery life
1.4 kg (3.08 lbs)
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 13, 2010 at 03:23 AM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2010, 03:25 AM

The 11.6" Air we have on demo has a nice stiff hinge...

Of course it's brand new and barely used so far. This may be something to keep an eye on.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2010, 03:31 AM

Yeah, the store I went to is downtown Toronto, Eaton Centre.

The place is packed ALL THE TIME. It's really quite annoying going there actually.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2010, 01:39 PM

Eug: When UPS finally sees fit to delver my 1830 I'd love to compare benchmarks with the 1810. Surprisingly hard to find anything on the internet for the new CULVs.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2010, 02:55 PM

Today, I learned where Wasilla is. Is that a dedicated Mac store, considering the city only has 11000 people or so?

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Eug: When UPS finally sees fit to delver my 1830 I'd love to compare benchmarks with the 1810. Surprisingly hard to find anything on the internet for the new CULVs.
Hmmm... Your 1.46 GHz Core i7 with serious turbo with SSD vs. my 1.3 GHz Pentium SU4100 without turbo and with a 5400 rpm 2.5" HD.

That'd be a hoot. I wonder if yours will be twice as fast in single-threaded performance. What do you want to test for CPU? Cinebench?

P
Nov 13, 2010, 04:03 PM

Today, I learned where Wasilla is. Is that a dedicated Mac store, considering the city only has 11000 people or so?

Hmmm... Your 1.46 GHz Core i7 with serious turbo with SSD vs. my 1.3 GHz Pentium SU4100 without turbo and with a 5400 rpm 2.5" HD.

That'd be a hoot. I wonder if yours will be twice as fast in single-threaded performance. What do you want to test for CPU? Cinebench?
Single-threaded performance is probably the one area where you'd have a chance, given the pecularities of the cache system, but in general...Anything threaded the i7 will crush you, anything disk performance the SSD will obliterate you, anything GPU-related... Yeah. Nowhere near. It would be interesting to see, though.

(I think that the SU4100 will clock up slightly when one core is idle, something like 200 MHz, so you technically have turbo. A tiny one, but still).

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2010, 04:38 PM

Yep, Apple Specialist, Mac only. Although Wasilla has 11,000 or so people, we serve an area called the Matanuska Susitna Borough (25,000 square miles, about the size of Ireland ) with a population of 60,000+. There are about 30,000+ within 100 square miles of us. Been in business for six years, so I think we'll be OK for the near future.

Back to the 11.6". I'm quite enthralled by the machine. It boots in less than 15 seconds, it's the same exact width as an iPad, but maybe 1.5" longer. To me, it's just as portable as the iPad, but has all the benefits of a traditional laptop. I was considering an iPad, but I think the 11.6" more closely matches the form factor that I would enjoy.

For all the fans of the 12" Powerbook G4, your replacement machine is here.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2010, 04:42 PM

Yep. This Windows 11.6" is partially a replacement for the 12" iBook G4 in our house... until I get an 11.6" Air. My GF is finally complaining that her 1.07 GHz iBook is far too slow. I've been telling we needed to replace it for the last couple of years, but she was too attached to it, despite the fact she hates that it can't play Flash. (She runs upstairs to the iMac to play Flash stuff.)

BTW, I wanted to test Flash performance on the 11.6" Air while I was in store. Couldn't, because they don't come with Flash any more, and the Apple Store people don't install it either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules