Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Siri and its future

Siri and its future
besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2013, 01:08 AM

This is a spin off thread from my open source thread...

What do you think? Is Siri just a small thing, perhaps even a flop, or is it the start of a new generation of search? Do you see Siri sort of becoming a form of massive intelligence on the internet capable of learning all sorts of new things, licensed to other vendors (say, for example, automotive companies), maybe even a web service, or is it fundamentally flawed technology?

mindwaves
May 11, 2013, 02:19 AM

Siri is SLOW. I don't even use it except for making a reminder such as waking me up or telling me to go somewhere. The fact that it has to rely on Apple's servers for everything is annoying and slow when compared to Google Voice. GV can translate on the fly and provide near instant results.

It's flawed technology. Can be improved a lot.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2013, 06:42 AM

I don't think it's that slow, but it could use an improvement in response time.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 11, 2013, 08:22 AM

Google Voice is a phone replacement, no?

On my Nexus, voice recognition is about as fast as it is on my wife's iPhone.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2013, 10:01 AM

Siri needs better uptime before it's anything more than a toy.
( Last edited by subego; May 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM. )

andi*pandi
May 11, 2013, 12:12 PM

Siri is better than typing on a phone, but needs correcting and more context awareness. And yes, sometimes she can't do stuff "right now."

I wonder how much space she takes up, if she could even fit on a phone for basic text transcribing, notes, etc.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2013, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I wonder how much space she takes up...
She's pretty voluptuous.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2013, 04:54 PM

I still like Siri very much. Its high time Apple expanded her range though. 3rd party app support on iOS, and bring her to the Mac too. Any chance we'll see either of these at WWDC next month? Haven't heard any rumours about it but Siri has been in public beta for 2 years now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 12, 2013, 03:53 AM

I think Siri may end up as Apples latest Dashboard. A good start followed up by zero interest and development. How long since it was launched? 18 months? In that time its got absolutely no better at all. It's a cutesy idea that can be used to sell iOS on TV ads but Google handed Siri's head on a platter back to apple with Google Voice.

If Siri had had ANY appreciable upgrades since launch I would have given it a fighting chance but I suspect it will die a slow death, at which point voice will suddenly break out and Apple will be left cold.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I think Siri may end up as Apples latest Dashboard. A good start followed up by zero interest and development. How long since it was launched? 18 months? In that time its got absolutely no better at all. It's a cutesy idea that can be used to sell iOS on TV ads but Google handed Siri's head on a platter back to apple with Google Voice.

If Siri had had ANY appreciable upgrades since launch I would have given it a fighting chance but I suspect it will die a slow death, at which point voice will suddenly break out and Apple will be left cold.

Do you think Siri's problems were scalability/server performance and these were deemed insurmountable, or did something else happen here?

Maybe I'm just crazy, but when both iCloud and Siri came out I figured that these things would be a very big deal and the start of something big that would be improving and growing semi-regularly. Was I the only one with this impression?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2013, 01:16 PM

No, but you need to put it through the "Apple Online Service Filter".

If Apple isn't getting a thick, ropy, revenue stream from it, they just cant do online services without ****ing it up.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 12, 2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you think Siri's problems were scalability/server performance and these were deemed insurmountable, or did something else happen here?
I think Apple just really has no idea how to deliver on online service. Look at how seriously the other major players take online service. I mean google run their own hardware on their own OS running their own databases with custom network architecture, Apple uses of the shelf MS Azure crapola. Even Facebook run an almost fully custom setup.

Apple really is not an online thinking company, sometimes I despair that they even really get software.

Unless they want to spend the next decade and pretty much all their cash pile really learning how to do online Siri is DOA and iCloud will be a lightweight consumer cloud option.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2013, 08:53 PM

All Apple is really bringing to the table with Siri is, well, stuff like naming it Siri. Apple has taste.

I'm sure Google's version is vastly superior in every way except Google has a robot and Apple has a "person".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2013, 01:01 AM

I think Apple just really has no idea how to deliver on online service. Look at how seriously the other major players take online service. I mean google run their own hardware on their own OS running their own databases with custom network architecture, Apple uses of the shelf MS Azure crapola. Even Facebook run an almost fully custom setup.

Apple really is not an online thinking company, sometimes I despair that they even really get software.

Unless they want to spend the next decade and pretty much all their cash pile really learning how to do online Siri is DOA and iCloud will be a lightweight consumer cloud option.
I agree 150%.

But here's an interesting thought: IF Apple would "get" online, they could indeed go to the next level. I always wondered if current AAPL valuations are justified.
They are ONLY if Apple gets its online act together. It's a pretty low hanging fruit, but Apple showed for years how they f$&@ up online.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2013, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I agree 150%.

But here's an interesting thought: IF Apple would "get" online, they could indeed go to the next level. I always wondered if current AAPL valuations are justified.
They are ONLY if Apple gets its online act together. It's a pretty low hanging fruit, but Apple showed for years how they f$&@ up online.

-t

I agree. Wondering about Apple getting to the next level was sort of what prompted this thread and the other one involving open source/public APIs (which are an important part of the web service world).

Tiresias
May 26, 2013, 02:12 AM

There's been a fair amount of moaning from linguists about the impact of texting on literacy but I believe this conversation is already irrelevant and that Siri is part of the reason.

In my experience the use of abbreviations and acronyms ("C U L8R" and so on) has already become pretty uncommon since the advent of touch screens with Qwerty keyboard layouts and autocorrect and is now more a relic of G1 mobile phones with kinetic alphanumeric keys when such usage actually conserved a decent amount of time and energy and was therefore justified.

When voice recognition technology, like Siri, greatly improves, I believe it will have a positive impact on teen literacy.

For example, let's imagine a teen dictates the text, "You're going to be there?"

In their ignorance, they may imagine this renderable as, "Your gonna be their" but will see the phrase corrected on their phone by their phone.

I think this will have a gradual corrective effect on spelling and grammar.

Just a thought.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2013, 12:21 PM

I think a far more fundamental change in communication and language is happening, namely the ease of access to and creation of images.

I've got at least 100 distinct varieties of facepalm I can throw at someone.
( Last edited by subego; May 26, 2013 at 01:15 PM. )

mindwaves
May 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

This is quite surprising to me. I remember when Mac OS X first came out, Apple did have some parts of their web servers running their own dog food, but I guess it never fleshed out fully for unknown reasons. Kind of sad really.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2013, 02:58 PM

They did used to use webobjects for most of their services. No idea what they do now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2013, 05:06 AM

No mention of Siri at the big All Things Digital interview... I wonder if we'll hear something at WWDC?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2013, 07:03 PM

Apple seriously needs to just license Google's voice recognition technology as the interface for Siri and Dictation. It is wicked fast and embarrassingly more accurate. Keep the server side natural language processing because that's often very useful. And definitely keep the iOS integration because that's what distinguishes Siri from Google Now. That would be one helluva feature.

OAW

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 30, 2013, 10:49 PM

Even with the superior accuracy, I am still finding myself correcting my phone enough to make the feature close to useless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules