Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 15 Inch Powerbook Issues

New 15 Inch Powerbook Issues
ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 03:08 PM

All: I hate to bring this up, I really do because my machine is awesome to work with. But I noticed a problem today and I wanted to check to see if anyone else can confirm.

I received my 1.5 ghz 15 inch PB on Monday. I opted for the 128 MB of video RAM and the 80 gig, 5400 HD. I have two 256 RAM chips for a total of 512.

The issue is electrical in nature. One, when I plug the powerchord into the machine, you can hear a slight humming sound (almost like static), coming from the PB speakers. You can hear this easily if you bring your ear to the speaker. Secondly, and perhaps more disturbingly, the right side of the machine, where my right plam rests, emits a small static charge. I can feel it on my hand easily when I rest it on the palm rest.

I'm curious as to what you folks think about this, and I'm mainly looking for other new 15 inch owners who may be experiencing the same issues.

I truly hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.

ul1984
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2004, 03:27 PM

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 03:32 PM

The little sizzing noise is an issue on all Alubooks. It's not that serious and you'll quickly forget about it. Static discharge and little shocks happen to most metal electrical equipment that comes fresh out of the packaging and also depends on the surface you place the computer on.

ibulldog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2004, 03:37 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the link. It seems that keeping the energy saver preferences at the highest setting is what causes these issues.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 12:14 AM

The TiBooks were doing this too at one point, and the issue was "solved" by changing the two-prong AC adapter design to a 3-prong grounded unit.

Perhaps your outlet is not properly grounded?? May not be the issue for you, but just a thought.

Forum Links
Forum Rules