Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook hinges creak?

Powerbook hinges creak?
habibman
Nov 16, 2005, 12:24 AM

Hi, ok, this really isn't a big deal, but I have a 15" PB and I am sure it didn't do this the first day I bought it. Well anyways, literally a week later I noticed that the hinges creak, sort of. I mean, it isn't to loud or annoying, but, whenever I close the lid, that sound is still there. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

kingjules
Nov 16, 2005, 04:37 AM

not for me. no creaking.
did you drop the computer? just asking, because i dropped my work laptop, IBM, and since then, the frame is a bit twisted, meaning that the hinges creak!
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

iboy
Nov 16, 2005, 04:42 AM

Hej

Yes, I had this problem too and it is going worse over time (problem with the oil in the hinge). I sent it in and they had to replace the whole display! It was a common known issue for my 1.5GHz Powerbook. You have to try the search function once...

... and be careful that they don't replace it with a bad display. I let mine change 4 or 5 times during this year because of the very bad quality of the replacements! Finally Apple offered me a new Powerbook :-)

regards

iboy
( Last edited by iboy; Nov 16, 2005 at 04:54 AM. )
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Nov 16, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by iboy
Hej

I sent it in and they had to replace the whole display!
If the creaking appears after a week you might indeed send it in. But generally it is normal that moving parts need a drop of oil from time to time.
Just apply a little oil and the problem will be gone.

I know your next question now . The answer is: any oil will do it (literally ANY. I use olive oil).

habibman  (op)
Nov 17, 2005, 02:25 AM

Hi, actually I have never even come close to dropping it. It has seen nothing but love since I have had it. I am just wondering though, I can ignore the creak, but is it something that I should consider sending the computer in for? I mean, is this creak indicative of future problems or is it just a creak? W40 perhaps?

iboy
Nov 17, 2005, 02:55 AM

I wouldn't do anything with the powerbook by myself as long as I have warranty on it. Im my case the cracking noise started after 6 and was getting worse and worse. My dealer told my that it is an assembly ploblem. In my opinion a replacement is needed otherwise they wouldn't do it...
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2005, 10:57 PM

I had the problem for a while with my 12". So i used the AlGlide from RadTech
http://www.radtech.us/Products/Glides.aspx

I opened up the bottom case and dropped a couple drops in the hinge... problem solved... It's been a while now and it works great.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 02:52 AM

Don't put WD40 on that finished aluminum surface. Use something less harsh like olive oil or specialized oil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules