Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 5G Battery Life

5G Battery Life
quiklee
Senior User
Nov 30, 2005, 09:40 PM

For the 60GB, Apple says

20 Hrs for Music Playback

but what's the hours for video playback?

anyone know?

Thanks!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

hickey
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 09:42 PM

im also interested in this as I have an order placed for a 30gig

Chicacredes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 10:30 PM

30GB: Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback
60GB: Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3 hours of video playback

this is off the techspecs page on apples site
http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

i just made a 12 hour drive home for thanxgivin and my ipod lasted the whole way on one charge playing audio and a small bit of video too.

AGP G4 DP 1.3 Upgraded G-Celerator 1GIG RAM | PB G4 1.25 FW800 1GIG RAM | Video iPod 60GIG

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 12:42 AM

2 Hours Video for 30, 3 Hours Video for 60
Linkinus is king.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2005, 05:47 PM

on my first full continuous use of the iPod for strictly viewing videos. I got about 3-4 hours our of it. That is without fastforwarding or anything just letting it play to the end. I played a full length movie (Enter The Dragon) on it and was down to about Half charge. Need to play with it more and see what the longest movie I can play on it is before batter runs out. HMMMM I wonder if I could do a full Harry Potter Movie on it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

quiklee  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 10:41 PM

geesh . . i guess LOTR fans are gonna hate life . . can't watch a whole trilogy anywhere they want!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2005, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by typoon
on my first full continuous use of the iPod for strictly viewing videos. I got about 3-4 hours our of it. That is without fastforwarding or anything just letting it play to the end. I played a full length movie (Enter The Dragon) on it and was down to about Half charge. Need to play with it more and see what the longest movie I can play on it is before batter runs out. HMMMM I wonder if I could do a full Harry Potter Movie on it.
That must be the 60GB iPod? I understand the 30GB is considerably less efficient with battery length.

I have just had my 30GB iPod for a few days so haven't really had the chance to fully test it's battery length in the real world. I have run it down completely and recharged for 4 hours. With this first initial calibration I can't say I will get 14 hours battery playing music, that battery indicator seems to move down awfully quick. Then again I have heard it takes a few charges before the maximum battery length can be reached.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
That must be the 60GB iPod? I understand the 30GB is considerably less efficient with battery length.

I have just had my 30GB iPod for a few days so haven't really had the chance to fully test it's battery length in the real world. I have run it down completely and recharged for 4 hours. With this first initial calibration I can't say I will get 14 hours battery playing music, that battery indicator seems to move down awfully quick. Then again I have heard it takes a few charges before the maximum battery length can be reached.

Yes it is the 60 Gig. I know the first couple of times I used my iPod I ran it til it got to the red the charged it up again. Then the third time after watching the videos I let it die completely then I plugged it into the wall outlet of my 4G iPod Charger. Charges over firewire. I think it is also good to charge it at different points as well. Since that charge this weekend I'm at half battery strength and have been running my iPod for about 45 mins to an hour each day on my way to work. So far so good.

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 01:28 PM

so you CAN charge the ipod through firewire and the wall charger correct? I thought that would work but I need confirmation.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
so you CAN charge the ipod through firewire and the wall charger correct? I thought that would work but I need confirmation.

YES, Works just fine.

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I often look for 3rd party solutions to extend my battery life.

When I'm on the road, I always look for ways to charge. My friend had a line-in for his car stereo so he bought an iPod auto charger to juice up.

I don't have a line-in in my car stereo so I opted for the Newer Technology charger/FM transmitter to charge and play music in my car.

I've got another friend that just bought one of those cheap cigarette lighter/power inverter to make an AC outlet in his cigarette lighter. Then he just brings his iPod wall charger with him.

He also has one of those solar cell chargers for his weekend hikes when he wants to get away from it all. it unfolds out like a daisy wheel. I thought it was kinda cool.

If I remembered correctly, there was a Belkin battery add-on that allows you to connect a 9V battery to your iPod as well.

Then there is the charger that hooks up to the airplane's outlet for you to use.

golfer099
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2005, 01:40 PM

I have a 30G that I got in October and yesterday took it for a day trip to Boston (4 hours each way from NYC) and the damn thing only lasted 7 hours playing soley music (no video or photo). This was the first time since I had it that it drained completely (I got a message saying battery was drained and needed to be plugged in). I charged it last night and have yet to test it again for full 14 hours, but should my backlight be off (it's on 2 seconds - I find it hard to see color screen without backlit (as compared to b&w screen)). Oddly enough it charges great over firewire (since my friend took my usb charger instead of his firewire from a party the other night - so i can't connect to compuyter, but at least can charge for the time being).

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2005, 09:20 PM

I haven't gotten more than about 6 hours of on/off music only play for mine, after a full charge. Had it almost a week, played it until it was discharged, charged it fully, then ran it again to discharge, and then charged it again. Maybe it will get better?
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 04:05 AM

It depends. If you have your backlight on 24/7 that's a HUGE drain on battery life. If it's on a timer, IE the second you use the click wheel it lights up for five seconds, and you don't use the click wheel every five seconds, then something could be wrong.
Linkinus is king.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 12:36 AM

The problem I have found with my 30 GIG 5G is that when viewing video you almost need the backlight on, or else you can't see it.

I'm going to fly to the US tomorrow (1 hour train ride, 30 minute train ride, 3 hour wait, 12 hour plane ride, 1 hour layover, 1 hour flight, 2 hour drive) and I really want to see how long my battery lasts. Especially playing video.

I did spend a long time converting 52 eps of Sealab 2021 so they would play on my iPod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules