Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So I had to send my PB into Apple again

So I had to send my PB into Apple again
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2006, 03:38 PM

So about 2 weeks ago my 1.5ghz 15" powerbook randomly kernel panicked at about 7am just after I had finished finishing some long drawn out course work (thank god I saved it to a web drive). I talked to the apple service agent for about an hour total in 2 calls, as he tried every trick in the book to get the PB to boot. Nothing, including booting from the CD or trying to run PPC live linux on it worked. He gave me a dispatch number and all and said my box would be here shortly (this was on a friday). After I hadn't recieved the box two mondays from then (which if you've ever sent your mac in you know there's something wrong if you don't get it in a few days) I called and they said that there was a "hold" on the box and that it was an accident and they would send it right away (recieved it the next day). Okay, so these things happen. Sent the PB in on this past friday, and got it back today - very impressed with the turn-around as always

Now the diagnosis was fualty third party ram. I had 2 1gb sticks of ram in the notebook. And before sending it in I did take each out and try to run the machine on a single stick to no avail. However, I didn't even think to try the 2 sticks of 256mb that I still had from apple. When I got the machine back I poped them in (the origional apple ones) and it works fine as far as I can tell.

Now that you've heard my story, my question is: what is the chance of 2 sticks of ram going south instantly? Bear in mind that 1 of those sticks has been in the Powerbook from when I purchased it in the summer of 2004, and the other was purchased and installed in September of 2005. The only thing I was doing at the time on time was checking the weather (aparently the ram didn't like the opening of camino). There was no power surge of any kind (and it is plugged into a surge protector anyway), heck it hadn't even been moved for a while.

Now I guess I'm gonna have to take up that lifetime warranty on the ram!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2006, 09:06 AM

Anyone? Anyone at all?
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules