Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quark 3.32 slows way down using OS 9

Quark 3.32 slows way down using OS 9
jds2
Feb 3, 2000, 04:09 AM

I just upgraded to OS 9 and have encountered problems using QuarkXpress 3.32. When changing text boxes or picture boxes, the program delays minutes at a time.

Has anyone else encountered this? I will not be upgrading to 4.1 any time soon. Anyone have suggestions-reinstall Quark, empty temp folder?

Thanks, Jon

RGS
Feb 3, 2000, 12:31 PM

Jon,

This is a known problem related to OS9, ATM/ATR, and QXP v3 and v4. It appears that people have different solutions (permanent and temporary), but what worked for me was:

1. Turn ATM from Deluxe to "lite"
2. Use Suitcase v8.2 to manage fonts
3. Use ATR to group font families

I still have a slight "stall" but nothing like I originally had. Here is a MacFixIt forum link that has 100+ responses to your very problem. Quark is supposed to be working on a v4 fix.

Best of luck,

Rob

smundy
Feb 4, 2000, 02:54 AM

Don't know what all this is about � I've been using QX 3.32r5 with ATM 4.5.2 Deluxe and ATR 2.5.2 for the last couple of months without a hitch.

No slowdowns, no real problems (except for the 'jumping' submenus, but that's happened since OS 8.5).

Might be an XTension?

- Simon Mundy
[email protected]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2000, 02:10 PM

"Quark says a fix is coming for the stall:

...from Quark Technical Support regarding the infamous Quark/OS 9 stall issue... a fix is coming: "This fix will be incorporated into the next maintenance release of QuarkXPress, version 4.1.1, which we hope to get out in the next several weeks"

the above is from MacFixit

Forum Links
Forum Rules