Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Software Update Control Panel

Software Update Control Panel
drfrank
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2000, 11:10 AM

New to OS 9 I have attempted to use the softeware update to update my system software. However, after the update locates the files it says are new, when attempting to download it requests that Apple Remote Access be "off" in order to proceed (i.e., cannot run with open applications). If I close remote access, I loose my internet connection!

Is there something I'm missing here or is this typical and if so, how does one download updates without going to the Apple site, searching for what's new, then downloading (if it is there)?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Frank

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2000, 11:34 AM

well, the Software Update control panel has itself been updated, and you may not have the latest version which is 1.1.1, available here: http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11554

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2000, 11:38 AM

Now, closing the remote access window doesn't terminate your internet connection. Simply connect then close the window via the file menu. You'll be connected until it drops or you disconnect.

drfrank  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2000, 02:36 PM

I am currently using control panel 1.1.1. Closing the ARA window is not the answer, the control panel attempts to close all other programs that are running.

Any other suggestions?

drfrank  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 29, 2000, 02:49 PM

Ignore my last post, I tried it again a secomd time amd it downloaded the softweare. Thanks.

Frank

Forum Links
Forum Rules