Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for a good office chair to replace my AK Octane

Looking for a good office chair to replace my AK Octane
starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2009, 09:11 PM

So I got the AK Octane at BB years ago. Loved it to death. Today one of the supports snapped off at the weakest point. I now have a chair with 4 wheels instead of 5.

I could sit in this thing for hours, and have, without getting uncomfortable at all. I'd like to know if there's a chair similar to it that's just as comfortable and not that hideously expensive. The Octane set me back $150 in 2006.

Suggestions?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2009, 06:43 PM

Well, if it weren't for the "not too hideously expensive" caveat, I'd suggest the Aura from Poetic Tech....

One of these decades, I shall have one. Maybe.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 07:23 PM

What is "Hideously Expensive"? because you can fins Leap's (my preferred) or Aeron chairs that are like brand new for under $500 a lot of times... Just need to get the right size for your body and you can adjust it yourself, takes time tho.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 9, 2009, 08:00 PM

I'm surprised you find $150 to be hideously expensive. A basic throw-away rocking swivel chair at Wal-Mart can easily cost over $100.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 08:06 PM

Allsteel #19

FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2009, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by G Barnett View Post
Well, if it weren't for the "not too hideously expensive" caveat, I'd suggest the Aura from Poetic Tech....

One of these decades, I shall have one. Maybe.
I've been dreaming of this chair since it came out over 10 years ago

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2009, 03:18 AM

We have these at work...

Space Air Grid 5870 Chrome | Sit4less.com

I'm not sure I like the mesh back, I could use some padding I think, but other than that, they're pretty comfortable.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
We have these at work...

Space Air Grid 5870 Chrome | Sit4less.com

I'm not sure I like the mesh back, I could use some padding I think, but other than that, they're pretty comfortable.
Thanks for the link. My mother will be bugging me for my Chistmas gift request any day now. After 8+ years of getting denied on an Aeron, perhaps this will fit her pocketbook's sweet spot.

I found these reviews, many posted by folks who wanted an Aeron but couldn't afford one. Most seem satisfied. The one caveat I see is that the seat bottom isn't mesh, but rather mesh fabric over foam. I don't know if that is enough to alleviate my sweaty-ass issue.

Office Star Professional Air Grid Deluxe Task Chair - Reviews & Ratings - Good & Bad - Chairs - Smarter.com

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 16, 2009, 05:20 PM

I can't really recommend any chairs because I'm still in search of that great chair that's comfortable all day long. My current chair is okay but I can't really afford to get another one at this point so I've learned to live with it. What I have noticed is that chairs with a lot of cushion tend to not be a good choice because after a few months the cushions flatten as they lose their ergonomic shape. I've had two chairs that did that to me so I won't be buying another one like that. They become uncomfortable once the cushions lose their shape.

If you are anything like me, you will have to actually sit in the chairs to know if they are comfortable. I've bought chairs before online without trying them first and that was a huge mistake. IMO chairs are the type of items you really have to try out before buying. Everybody's size and shape are a little bit different because some of the highly rated chairs weren't comfortable for me so your miles may vary with the recommendations you get from others.

Once you do find a good chair just make sure to remember what model, brand, and where you bought it so that you can get the same one again if it every breaks. I never realized how hard it is to find a good chair especially if you are looking for one that's affordable. I've used a lot of chairs and most of them are good for short periods but if you work all day in front of a computer a good all day chair is hard find. I'm curious to read the recommendations from others too because I'm still trying to find that chair myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules