Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > GTAV

GTAV (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Not till Thursday - Amazon.fr couldn't send it before for some reason.
Rockstar requested no retailers send it before release day. Amazon already sent it out a day early as to not **** over pre-orderers and there's a small brouhaha in the making.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I keep forgetting this is coming out. Who's getting this tomorrow?
Not me. I didn't care much for IV. I'll wait a few weeks and get a free copy from my bro.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2013, 05:02 PM

There's an app on the iOS store called ifruit, signing in to that you can customise your car, go to life invader, train your dog etc. good luck signing in and staying in though, the servers are rather busy right now.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2013, 05:04 PM

I put it in my GameFly queue since I'm finishing up Bioshock Infinite any day now, but I doubt it'll be available for a while. I'm most likely only buying BF4 in the near future, so this one may have to wait until after Xmas.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2013, 06:36 PM

Sek, what did you think of Bioshock infinite?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 16, 2013, 06:41 PM

My mouse was over the "Order with 1 click" button on Amazon, but I couldn't pull the trigger. I'll wait for the first price drop for PS3 or for it to come out on PC. Any idea if the console or PC version will have any advantages over the other? I have no friends so I don't plan on doing multiplayer.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 16, 2013, 08:09 PM

I need to not read reviews of this game. I'm back up on the fence.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Any idea if the console or PC version will have any advantages over the other? I have no friends so I don't plan on doing multiplayer.
PC version will probably look prettier. Are Rockstar open to the modding community? One wonders what will happen with the on-line and how the PC version might fit-in.

I'll be your friend.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2013, 04:10 AM

I'll be your friend.
Added you on Steam. Don't expect a birthday present.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2013, 06:20 AM

Might get it tomorrow, Amazon sent it today.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2013, 06:26 AM

I'm thinking fast-travel type functionality. You won't always have a car to hand, so I presume that there must be some (non-realistic) way to get from one place to the other.
They had taxis in Vice City. Not sure in SA. Expect AC:III type loading times, though.
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Airplanes. Also, if you've finished the first part of a mission, once you respawn you can press triangle for "trip skip" where it will forward to a checkpoint.

You can ride the train from station to station.

I think this is why I could never get into Red Dead Redemption. It was like playing GTA:SA except you'd have to bicycle everywhere. The quick trip option was carriages that cost a tenth of my entire savings, so 90% of that game is riding somewhere on a horse.
From here : GTA 5 review: a monstrous parody of modern life | Technology | The Guardian

You have to do a lot of driving. There are no shortcuts, so every mission involves hitting the highways to get to the trigger point; and yes sometimes you think "Ugh, not another car ride".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2013, 07:52 AM

The review I read said that it had a lot more checkpoints throughout the mission, so if you died at one point you could pick back up where you left off without having to repeat that same monotonous drive over and over again. This "hand-holding" was balanced out by the addition of extra "achievement" awards for finishing missions without restarting from a checkpoint.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Not me. I didn't care much for IV.
I think we knew that 6 months ago.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I put it in my GameFly queue since I'm finishing up Bioshock Infinite any day now, but I doubt it'll be available for a while. I'm most likely only buying BF4 in the near future, so this one may have to wait until after Xmas.
This doesn't bother me, but these great games straddling the release of next gen is disturbing me. The lack of consensus is killer, particularly during the late-gen doldrums.

I guess I'll stick with Civ 5 for the time being.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Sep 17, 2013, 08:38 PM

Been putting off the pre order for weeks, with all the rumors of a possible next gen release I'm holding out for a month or so to see if we get confirmation.

I understand we can't stop the machine and poach sales of a release this large but I would bet in 3/4 weeks we get confirmation of a late Q4 next gen GTA V

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2013, 09:21 PM

Got it yesterday in the mail. Popped in the first disc and it had a 7.8 gig install right off the bat. About 20 min later I'm good to play.

Game so far is pretty good. The city is monstrous. You could easily spend days just exploring the city.

Franklin and Lamar are pretty damn hilarious together with their trash talk. The amount of bombs and "n" word they use are off the chart.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2013, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Got it yesterday in the mail. Popped in the first disc and it had a 7.8 gig install right off the bat. About 20 min later I'm good to play.

Game so far is pretty good. The city is monstrous. You could easily spend days just exploring the city.

Franklin and Lamar are pretty damn hilarious together with their trash talk. The amount of bombs and "n" word they use are off the chart.
Jealous, it didn't arrive yesterday.

Dumb question : that 7.8G install was just from the 1st disk? Wonder when you'll have to slap in the 2nd one.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2013, 07:30 AM

Grand Theft Auto V Pulls In £500m In A Day

Day 1, money made, job done.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2013, 11:46 PM

Jealous, it didn't arrive yesterday.

Dumb question : that 7.8G install was just from the 1st disk? Wonder when you'll have to slap in the 2nd one.
Disk #1 was the installation disk. After that you pop in disk #2 and play.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 05:02 AM

Got about 3 hours in last night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2013, 12:20 PM

I made the mistake of watching a video of it the other night. Between that and this neogaf thread I may pick it up on the way home tonight and crack out over the weekend.

examples:
Car driving in dirt lost most of its traction and was kicking up lots of dirt while it tried to drive
The clicking sounds coming from hot engines when you get out of a car you have just nailed around the map. Amazing!
ped comes parks the car, goes into restaurant, you jack the car he actually runs after you from the restaurant!
Got Amanda's (Micheal's wife) car fixed as Franklin and in addition to getting general repairs, I bought the "La Cucaracha" novelty horn. A few missions later, I use her car as Micheal and it still has that horn!
I robbed a store at gunpoint. Then an hour later I went back to that same store unarmed and the guy behind the counter said "I remember you!" and started shooting at me.
If I spin my tires and rev te engine next to someone in a fast car, basically every time they floor it and race me when the light changes.
This game is insane. INSANE.

Last night I switched to Trevor only to find him drunk sleeping on the railroad.

And he complained too as the train was approaching: "Ah, ****, I was sleeping".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2013, 01:18 PM

There are a couple copies available from Redbox near me, but I know if I pick it up then nothing else will get done, and I have a whole list of projects to finish up in the next week. But the more I read about it the less I care about those other projects.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2013, 02:25 PM

Good luck coming up with a clever license plate and it being available as well. Any suggestions? Limit 8 characters.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2013, 02:28 PM

4EVRALNE

"This plate is already in use" Dammit!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2013, 02:35 PM

ZERO
THIEF
OUTATIME
NOBRAKES
OUTMAWAY

All taken. Finally settled on DRVNGBLK since its for the first character.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2013, 03:25 PM

Not making money fast enough as Franklin.

Cops are quick to react when not in a mission but not so quick during a mission.

I can't shoot for sh1t.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 11:04 AM

Alright, early impressions

First off, its been so long since I played GTA that its hard to know what's new details and what's old. Not to mention stuff got dropped between San Andreas and IV.

• The character models wow me. GTA has always had terrible models, but they're pretty solid now, if plasticky sometimes.

• As previously mentioned you can sometimes here cars racing off in the distance. Problem is, in the country-side you hear the same thing – ricers engines reverberating off the city skyscrapers. Be nice if the was replaced by Trucks and motorcycles.

• The radio stations change as you leave the city and in the country-side.

• One of my favorite things about GTA IV was how good the water looked. It looked great up close, it looked great from a helicopter. In between it transitioned a poorly. Rockstar feels like it upped its game n this one. The water is amazing. It foams and rolls and looks equally great from low and high (so far).

• Its been noted continuously in the internet – models wearing flip flops actually have the flip, flop.

• It'd be nice if there were different barbers at different shops.

• Walked into convenience store in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night as Franklin. Guy behind the counter goes "uh-oh." I desperately hope I wasn't carrying a gun so it was racist. Came back and robbed him for good measure.

• Not enough store fronts are enterable and therefore robbable. Its actually kind of hard to find a place to rob!

• Bounty missions. So awesome.

• Building up stats three-times over? Not awesome.

• Cops hang-out in speed traps.

• Tires leave tracks on dirt roads. Finally.

• Don't speed on dirt roads, unless you don't value your life.

• The collectible this time isn't a package, or a tiki doll, or a pigeon. It's a ****ing piece of paper. On the biggest map with the most remote locations they give us the hardest object to spot. **** you.

• Found 5 stunt jumps so far, passed 0. Wouldn't mind if it marked found stunt jumps on our map so you could go back to them.

• Already had a mission that got hung up when an NPC fell down when he wasn't supposed to.

• Game locked twice after taking a photo. Might be social club related. Further, your photos aren't saved to your HD and you lose them if the Social club is down. That is amateur hour, rockstar.

• Driving is great, I agree with matty, like NFS.

• Seems no matter how fast a car I'm driving the cop car can catch up and ram me from being. BS.

• When walking on the street, you can hear the radio playing inside NPC cars.

• Not surprising since same hardware, but the 5 million of the same car model at a time still exists. Also, even at its highest, traffic still seems light.

• You can steal a bus, but there still aren't bus stop missions or even bus stops as far as I can tell. I should be able to ride the bus.

• Stock market seems incredibly slow to fluctuate.

• Clothing stores have changing rooms, but you can't change in them. Can't buy clothes without putting them on permanently.

• Again, probably a memory issue, but parking lots have been completely empty most of the time. It's somewhat frustrating to have to jack a live car rather than run around a corner and pick a nice parked one.

• Is there any way to aim your weapon while driving? Seems like the reticule only appears when firing. Probably the most galling unimprovement to the combat system.

• NPC cars just don't drive at a realistic speed. They drive slow and react slowly to green lights. I think this would be my target overhaul for the next GTA.

• No police missions

All I can think of for now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 11:07 AM

My best camera shot, it thankfully went thourgh.

Had another of Los Santos at night that was lost.

Posing on the roof of Maze Bank Arena after I had a failed landing on it with the blimp.

Another shot of the city at night. Shame these are so low resolution.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 12:11 PM

BTW, if you need money, robbing stores will only net you hundreds of dollars, but robbing the security trucks will net your thousands. Of course, you need the opportunity to arise. Lucky for me, I was in the country when I did it, so it was a quick smash and grab.

My hold-up was clever, I think. I parked a sanchez outside the store, facing the road, held the guy up, and immediately went into the mountains, where the cops couldn't follow.

---

I forgot to mention, hiding on foot is fantastic. I ran into a construction site and hid behind a dumpster as I watched cops search the area.

I'd really like them to change 1 star to giving you a fine rather than taking you to jail. Also shaking even two stars takes a long-ass time, IMO.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2013, 12:36 PM

Do they still have the Pay 'n' Spray system?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 12:38 PM

Los Santos customs fulfills that niche now, though they're fairly uncommon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 12:57 PM

Oh yeah, I couldn't buy food from hot dog stands. Basic functionality that was in GTA IV. Also, I noticed they have rows of vending machines, but the snack machines won't dispense food.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2013, 02:52 PM

"parked a sanchez"

Sorry, what does this mean?

Also, you need explosives to crack open a security truck don't you?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2013, 03:42 PM

Urge...to...play...game...rising

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 03:52 PM

"parked a sanchez"

Sorry, what does this mean?
It's the dirtbike, perfect for going off road and particularly hills and mountains.

Also, you need explosives to crack open a security truck don't you?
They let you shoot the doors open, which is what I did.

I'm honestly pondering getting this next gen as well if the online is as good as hyped and they can fix some of the niggling details that bother me (vehicle diversity). The fog in the game is very obvious, even at small distances. If the PS4 can render it further... mmmmmm, good.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 04:01 PM

...and that's with me giving a pretty even handed review about the details.

Oh yeah, why not add this fuel to the fire.

Grand Theft Auto V Mythbusters: Episode 1 - YouTube

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 23, 2013, 04:50 PM

Oh, I walked up a ramp out of the water last night – the water gets beautifully clear via depth. Stood in a fountain and watched my shadow on the bottom distort because of the water.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2013, 11:16 AM

I am being told that the dog is realistic.

P
Sep 24, 2013, 11:50 AM

Some leftover files in the PS3 release apparently point to a PC version in testing with some extra pretties in the graphics, but no release date from Rockstar announced.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2013, 04:36 PM

Did GTA IV have music playing while doing missions on foot? I like it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2013, 12:01 AM

More details while I can remember.

• I've been observing this for days and I feel confident confirming it. The characters sweat. Most notably their back V will get darker and sometimes a little on the front too. This usually occurs from sprinting but I think it may also happen from just being in the desert during the day.

• really noticeable with xenon headlight – getting behind something like a van they reflect back quite intensely.

• if any situational NPCs take any damage while you're in proximity (say from a driver clipping them with a car) you get blamed.

• accidentally drove a atv into a camp fire. the tires caught on fire. it spread and detonated the atv pretty quickly, too. (and gave me a one-star rating – lame)

• water breaks against rocks. water breaks against rocks. how the **** is this even possible?!

• finally, at one point I took Franklin to get flying lessons, pulling up the ebrake when I got there, leaving nice skidmarks going into the parking space. I then changed my mind, left and switched to Michael. When I eventually got there, the skidmarks were still there! I don't know if its dumb luck or a glitch, but I'm very surprised they weren't just wiped when I switched characters.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2013, 04:13 AM

Cops can't (or don't) swim.

Its funny having a dead body in the back of a boat when you're bouncing on waves.

Saw a F/A-18 type fighter fly under the bridge that is over the waterfall/near big lake in the mountains. Wonder if you can steal one.

Bikes are much better than cars, no traffic issues, easier to manoeuvre.

Finding shops that can actually be robbed is a pain.

WhyTF would you want to give back a stolen wallet or purse? You never get as much money as if you'd kept it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2013, 06:40 AM

Released on September 17, 57 per cent of sales were for the Xbox 360 version of the game, with the remaining 43 per cent going to the PlayStation 3 edition.

From here : GTA 5: Grand Theft Auto V smashes sales records making £1 BILLION in just THREE days - Mirror Online

Be interested to see where the greatest sales were, presume its N.America and Europe.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2013, 08:59 AM

Me again. In reference to this. I like the idea, but I understand those that don't. I wonder how the resources will work in on-line as well. There are only so many houses for sale.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2013, 02:30 PM

I've been watching a bunch of videos and enjoying them immensely but I think I put my finger on what is keeping me from buying this game.

It's Grand Theft Auto, it may be the best, most feature rich and largest GTA, but it is still at the core GTA. GTA is a game that stands at the top of the pack with CoD, Fallout, and Nazi Zombies in the 'time most sunk into" category. I cut my teeth on GTA3, Played Vice City to hell and back, skipped SA and tired of GTAIV quicker than expected.

Would the game be fun for weeks if not months? Yes, but when apathy hits me within GTA it hits hard. Barring my g/f surprising me with the disc for my birthday I just don't see it happening, at least not until I own a PS4. Until then I will amuse myself with let's play videos.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2013, 02:36 PM

I'm seeing serious complaints about the monetary system in the game. They introduced heists into the game and I'm hearing several of them don't even pay out. I'm hearing the properties that give income are convoluted and require too much work to turn a profit and I find the stock market works slow. Also, there's no casino in this game? Weren't there at least three in San Andreas (plus off-track horse racing).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2013, 03:33 PM

not until I own a PS4.
'ello, what's this now?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2013, 03:54 PM

'ello, what's this now?
Well we know I won't be getting the Xbox and I did recently tell you during Battlefield that the idea of having a PC to game leaves a sour taste in my mouth sooooooo that leaves the PS4. How soon I adopt the next gen is largely up in the air.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2013, 04:00 PM

More pics from last night.

Fatal Car Crash

Chick dies on the way to the hospital so naturally, selfie time!

Ran this scooner up onto the beach. Idiot life guard clips it with his quad, killing him.

Tried to photograph a beautiful sunset. The cameraphone doesn't do it justice, just like IRL.

NSFW

I waited just to get Michael's expression in the second.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2013, 04:00 PM

More details while I can remember.

• I've been observing this for days and I feel confident confirming it. The characters sweat. Most notably their back V will get darker and sometimes a little on the front too. This usually occurs from sprinting but I think it may also happen from just being in the desert during the day.
Yeah, I noticed this during the bicycle race, Michael's back got all sweaty.

I've been watching a bunch of videos and enjoying them immensely but I think I put my finger on what is keeping me from buying this game.

It's Grand Theft Auto, it may be the best, most feature rich and largest GTA, but it is still at the core GTA. GTA is a game that stands at the top of the pack with CoD, Fallout, and Nazi Zombies in the 'time most sunk into" category. I cut my teeth on GTA3, Played Vice City to hell and back, skipped SA and tired of GTAIV quicker than expected.

Would the game be fun for weeks if not months? Yes, but when apathy hits me within GTA it hits hard. Barring my g/f surprising me with the disc for my birthday I just don't see it happening, at least not until I own a PS4. Until then I will amuse myself with let's play videos.
GTA:SA was my favorite, you have to go back and play it. I got tired of IV right away, too, but I've done multiple playthroughs of SA. And V is awesome. Get it.

The car handling is definitely more "arcade-y" than IV. However, the camera sticks much closer to the rear of the car so that you can actually see where you're going once you've turned a corner. That might have been one of my biggest gripes with IV - you'd go around a corner and immediately smash into a car, person, tree, or pole because the camera would lag so far behind your car's movements.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2013, 04:02 PM

They also added the height option so you aren't constantly pushing the joystick up to see over the car as to whats coming up nearby.

Forum Links
Forum Rules