Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > High Speed Connecitivity on the Mac

High Speed Connecitivity on the Mac
mkbhatia
Administrator
Jan 27, 1999, 12:47 PM

Just thought we should start a thread here...

johnno
Jan 27, 1999, 02:38 PM

Is anyone as excited as I am about the networking and LAN administration possibilities with the new G3's? Besides the fact that 100baseT is damned fast, the possibilities for Firewire in small LANs are almost limitless. How easy would it be to hook up an office full of computers using Firewire, without having to use a single hub and dish out oodles of IP addresses? Say good-bye to SCSI chain and scanner problems.
Then there is Mac OS X Server, which will make administration of a large LAN a cinch.
How many IS personal will be trying to keep this info quiet?
Has anyone out there tried the networking using Firewire, and is it as integrated as it appears to be?

------------------
John [:-)

valentinedwv
Jan 27, 1999, 04:08 PM

If you are talking DSL (Digital Subscriber line), please note that the DSL line charge is separate from the DSL ISP charges.

Please do not complain when the company that is supplying the DSL line (BA, GTE, PacBell) says that it's ISP does not support the Mac.

Do tell them (GTE, BA, etc) that that it is not acceptable, and ask them to reccommend an ISP that supports the macintosh. Let them know that you are not buying the ISP service from thier internet wing.

jyh
Jan 27, 1999, 06:35 PM

DSL excluding ISP service?

Not in Canada.

Bell Canada offers now, through their ISP "Sympatico" DSL service for $39.95 (CDN $$$) *including* unlimited access.

If you add the modem lease at $14.95 and exclude the one-time installation fee (between $49.95 and $249.95), you still have a very interresting service for roughly $55 CDN or $19 US/month!!!

http://www.adsl.sympatico.ca/

------------------
--
� The best way to predict the future is to invent it. �
-- Alan Kay, Founder, Xerox research Center
--

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 1999, 09:15 PM

I got a cablemodem from GTE in August and have been very happy. I downloaded Netscape 4.5 via FTP at 330k/sec (Yes that's kiloBYTES, not BITS). I usually get around 150-200k/sec though. I'm having some problem adding other computers to the network though. Apparently the cablemodem captures the hardware address of the NIC in the host Mac when its started and won't accept any packets from any other hardware address. Does anyone know any way around this?

Otherwise, the service has been awesome and the price is great at $40 a month.

They're currently testing it in Ventura County, CA and in Florida. You can check it out at www.gtecablemodem.com.

-Scott
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

gamis
Jan 28, 1999, 05:50 PM

Since we're on the topic of DSL, I thought you all might be interested to know of a company offering DSL in the Philadelphia area, Digitalselect DSL, that wanted to charge me a minimum of $200/month for a 144kbps connection. Why!?

------------------
- Greg Amis
Undergraduate Student
Computer Consultant
Wesleyan University
Middletown, CT

valentinedwv
Jan 29, 1999, 01:19 PM

In places where it is relativly inexpensive, the phone company is providing the line and the DSL switch.

In places where it is expensive, the ISP provides it's own equipement.

zionic
Jan 29, 1999, 07:47 PM

Speaking of DSL . . . ever since I made the switch, my old MSIE 4.01 has stopped adding anything to the history palette. Switching to MSIE 4.5 has solved that problem. However, OE 4.5 erases all of the mail I receive as soon as I quit the program, and I lose it all. Which is why I switched back to Emailer, despite the rumors it wouldn't work with OS 8.5 (works fine). Anyone else having similar problems?

The Spif
Jan 31, 1999, 11:55 AM

I have had a cable modem (Motorola CyberSurfr) for about 18 months now and it truly rocks! My speed is not as fast as genevish has, but at 1.5Mbit/sec (and $40.00/month) it is still nothing to laugh at. If you figure the cost of a second phone line to be about $20.00/mo the the cable solution is only costing you $20.00/mo for unlimited, high-speed, 24x7 service!

The solution for the single computer access issue is a software gateway.
try�
http://www.sustworks.com/products/product_ipnr.html
or�
http://www.vicomsoft.com/vig/information/vig.info.html

sgothan
Feb 1, 1999, 02:48 PM

i am drooling for some kind of high-bandwidth access, but have a rather sickly pocketbook...anyone know of any asdl/isdn for cheapish in the boston area?

thanx

valentinedwv
Feb 2, 1999, 02:00 AM

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2197635, 00.html

Soon to be AOL at $42

[This message has been edited by valentinedwv (edited 02-02-99).]

SatanClaus
Feb 10, 1999, 05:54 PM

sgothan: You didn't say where in the Boston area you were, but if you live in a community that gets its cable TV from MediaOne, chances are you have cablemodem access. They're currently charging about $50-$100 for installation and $39.99 a month if you already have cable TV, $49.95 without. It's worth it IMHO, you get 1.544 MBit downloads and 300kb uploads. (Apparently they have problems with people running *ahem* adult servers off of their network

SatanClaus

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2000, 05:17 PM

i got DSL when US West first announced their MegaBit package back in sept or october...bought the modem, a cisco 675 for around 100 bucks. moved from AOL to USWest as ISP and now i can use the phone, while online at 270Kbps up and 640Kbps down. cost is 17.95/mo ISP and 29.95/mo for the DSL...less than 20 bucks more than i spent for AOL at 33.6 Analog SUX!

P7A77
Feb 28, 2000, 03:49 PM

I agree.... normally I have had nothing but bad things to say about US West, but their DSL is great. The tech support has been prompt and helpful (I had a security system on the line that I forgot about, so had trouble connecting for a while.. they eventually had to talk to the security system tech to get them to fix it properly).

But anyway, yeah. Very reasonably priced. $30/month (in addition to regular phone charges) for 256k, $18/month for connectivity (which is fine, cuz that's $20/month I'm not paying my ISP now), and speed, speed, speed!

Plus, when I signed up they were having a promotion of an external modem for $50, and also a $100 rebate after 90 days. Kick ass.

Forum Links
Forum Rules