Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > keychain problems

keychain problems
poil11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2000, 05:09 PM

i am having problems with the keychain feature in os9 (of course). well it doesn't seem to be saving the name and password in the keychain, it gives me an error like, not able to save name and pw case keychain is locked. how can i unlock it or what is the problem? thanks in advance!

------------------
poil
www.poil.net
poil
www.poil.net

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2000, 02:31 AM

Ummm... then go to the Keychain control panel and unlock it? It is locked by default at system startup, though it can be AppleScripted to unlock on its own. This okay if your Mac is in a secure area and you are the only user, but it is NOT a good idea if your Mac is in a public area.

I'm not sure how the Keychain works with Multiple Users as I've never had reason to test it.

(And I remember the good old days where one could have a Keychain problem with System7 Pro.)

[This message has been edited by Herr Newton (edited 02-17-2000).]

marnie
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2000, 12:40 PM

i have had this same keychain issue, and no, it is not a matter of "unlocking it" via the control panel. The keychain sometimes unlocks on startup (depending on your specifications) but if you want to add a password at a later moment in the session, you may get that error (keychain locked, etc.).

it is extrememly inconsistant.

i am not using multiple users/ multiple keychains.

only soution i found is to use apple script to mount all my remote volumes at startup and turn the keychain off entirely.

jan
Feb 18, 2000, 05:33 AM

Does it happen when you try to store an AppleShare password? If password is already stored in the keychain and you try to store it again you will get an error message you describe. Othervise it works, at least for me.

poil11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2000, 03:35 PM

i am the only person on this machine, and basically it is a network that i have setup at home. i use appleshare to connect my computers, and i thought that it would be easier to just store the username and pw in the keychain. this is excalty the steps i take. i go to the chooser, double click on the server i want to connect to, and ten i check the box that says add to keychain. then i enter in the username and pass, then i click on save my name and pass in the keychain. and then i get an error that says. "The password could not be saved in the Keychain. The Keychain may be read-only, please check the Keychain Access Control Panel." and then that is it....
poil
www.poil.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules