Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 on 266 Beige G3

OS 9 on 266 Beige G3
ians98
Feb 19, 2000, 03:16 PM

I recently purchased a SE iMac, which, as you know, came preloaded with OS 9. I also have a beige 266/G3, running OS 8.6. Is it possible to install OS 9 on the 266 machine from the iMac system CD? Are there iMac specific version of the OS distributed with the computer that are incompatible with my G3?

Would you recommend running 9 on the G3?

Many thanks. . .

Seagull
Feb 20, 2000, 12:02 AM

I am not sure whether the Mac OS 9 installer on the CD-ROM that came with the iMac is different from the installer of a retail Mac OS 9 CD-ROM but I think they are probably the same. If it is so then you should be able to install Mac OS 9 on the beige G3.

The question of whether to use Mac OS 9 on the beige G3, I think definitely yes if the computer has 48MB of memory or more. There are some new features with Mac OS 9 you may like to try.

Linda
Feb 20, 2000, 10:33 PM

Actually, I read somewhere on Macfixit that they are different--some guy was trying to use the OS 9 CD from his G4 or his iMac on his 6400, or something like that, and it wouldn't let him.

I don't think you'll screw anything up if you TRY, I think the install will give you an error message if it's not possible.

Try looking on the Macfixit forums for the thread, I wish I could remember the exact title. Something like "OS 9 won't install" or something like that.

peace,
Linda

naderby
Feb 22, 2000, 03:12 PM

I very much doubt this will work. A silly friend of mine tried to install her MacOS8.5 software on to an old 8200/120. The software is geared toward iMac and its USB etc. plus to has its 'software restore'. My friend was reduced to not being able use a mouse or keyboard!! (No USB) :-))

Seagull
Feb 22, 2000, 07:26 PM

That is such an inconvenience created by Apple there. When I bought my Power Mac, the Mac OS 8 CD that came with it included universal software installers so I could install Mac OS 8 on any Mac that support it.

I think Apple has changed that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules