Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SCSI Hard drive on 7500

SCSI Hard drive on 7500
Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2000, 06:08 PM

Hi -
I just got a HP C2490A drive to replace the failed Apple 2 Gig that was in my 7500 with a G3 upgrade. I formatted the drive using apple sc setup for a/ux (not supported under drive setup), and installed OS/9. When I warm boot, things are just fine. When I cold boot, however, the drive won't spin up. I have to boot from another drive and use a utility such as apple drive setup or mt. anything to get it to spin up so that I can mount it. Why is this? Is there a way to get the drive to spin up by itself when the machine cold boots? Thanks.

JoeEgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2000, 04:32 AM

Am I reading correctly? Why are you formatting an A/UX partition and installing OS9 on it? Is this two separate partitions?

Perhaps updating the driver with Drive Setup on the OS9 CD will help? Maybe older versions of Drive Setup support an A/UX partition. I just noticed now that v1.7.2 doesn't give me an A/UX choice. Ack!

Also check the jumper settings on the drive. There are sometimes settings specifically for drive spin-up. Make sure the drive is set in the Startup Disk control panel. It sounds like it's not spun up completely on a cold boot and the system doesn't automatically recognize it. It can usually be forced to.
---Joe
---Joe

Sue
Feb 25, 2000, 10:31 AM

I also have a 7500 with a G3 upgrade and recently installed two Seagate drives (2 GB each). I also have problems starting up and have found that COLD is my problem. I am in the Northeast US and we have had a very cold January. My Mac is located in my business, which is a cool space to begin with. When I allowed the heat to drop at night (Probably below 55) I had major problems starting up (I would have to restart several times to get the hard drives recognized) and then would have frequent freezes when I was working. By the end of the day, the amount of freezes would reduce. If I keep the heat turned up all the time, I don't have the problem at all.
By the way, I couldn't format these drives with Apple's software as they are not supported and used Silverlinings. The nice thing about this is that you get a box on start-up showing if the disks were recognized so you don't sit there and wonder why things are so slow!
I don't know about the drive you mentioned, but mine are older models and I just figure that they are more sensitive to cold. Interestingly, the original hard drive that came with the 7500 never suffered from the cold. It is apparently a more stable hard drive.

Phoible  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2000, 02:11 PM

I figured this out about 5 minutes after my first post. There was a spin-up jumper. I found the jumper settings on the web, and now everything works great.
For the first person who responded, I used an old version of the disk setup utility which was originally written for A/UX. It pretty much will format anything that spins (IE any scsi hard drive) to mac hfs format. The apple utilities wouldn't work with my non-apple firmware drive, and I really didn't want to buy a $50+ utility just to format a drive on a mac that I'm probably going to sell soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules