Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Nokia 6230/series 40 now iSync's under 10.4.6

Nokia 6230/series 40 now iSync's under 10.4.6
amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2006, 01:02 AM

Wow, was I psyched when I saw the list of new phones that will sync under 10.4.6! Finally, my 6230 (along with other series 40 Nokia phones) will sync. I don't usually jump on updates until some user comments have filtered in, but this was too good to wait for: Worked like a charm!

Here's the list of phones under iSync 2.2

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

'Course, I don't even know if you can still buy a 6230 in the US market--which has moved on--but better "VERY LATE" than never.

Nagittar
Apr 4, 2006, 09:51 AM

too funny. after almost a year with mine, i finally ditched my 6230i and went for a motorola slvr. will it sync address details? the slvr won't.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2006, 11:35 AM

yes, addresses are synced, multiple phone numbers are synced correctly afaik. Notes are truncated, but this isn't a pda after all (though one could wish.)

motorola address book only allows one phone number per name, no addresses afaik. David Pogue commented on the motorola lousy address book format at one point--which I confirmed at the store before buying my 6230. Until 10.4.6 I was transferring vcf files to the phone via bluetooth.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 06:05 PM

so can you guys confirm that iSync 2.2 actually works with a 6230? mine doesnt seem to.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 06:13 PM

Farging cool! This is the first thing that's made me even think about upgrading to 10.4.x

Thanks for the heads up amazing!!! I know what I'll be doing this weekend

PS - Amazing, yes you can still purchase 6230b's. www.myworldphone.com and www.gsmphoneplanet.com for two examples.
( Last edited by Chinasaur; Apr 5, 2006 at 06:26 PM. )
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 08:48 PM

It works! Just synced up my 6230i on 10.4.6 after upgrading.

Started out getting errors. Kept at it until it started working.

I had to fiddle with it a bit. Turned on "delete before sync" and then try to sync. It kept adding vs deleting 1st. Ended up with 3x as many contacts.

Finally deleted them all and let it sync again. Everything came over fine.

It does work

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 09:49 PM

Does it backup/sync Contacts that are stored on the SIM card as well as in the phone's internal memory?

Just to be clear about iSync- I was able to move files back and forth between my Mac and my 6230 over bluetooth before 10.4.6, I guess that wasn't really utilizing iSync, right? iSync means transferring contacts and calendar info,right?

btsugawa
Apr 5, 2006, 10:37 PM

When I try to sync my 6230 iSync displays the message:

To enable this phone to work with iSync, contact the phone’s manufacturer or your service provider to update the firmware on your phone. For more information, visit the iSync Support website.

I purchased a 6230 while living in the UK. Now that I am back in Canada I can not upgrade the firmware. I spoke to Nokia and their response was that 1) it is not a Canadian phone so they can not upgrade it, 2) Nokia does not provide upgrades to add features only to fix problems, thus I can not request an upgrade, and 3) Nokia does not provide software for connecting the 6230 to a Mac.

Obviously the guy didn't completely read my e-mail because I wasn't asking for software that allows a Nokia to connect to a Mac and further more he told me to take the phone to Nokia USA where it was manufactured. This was after I clearly stated that my phone was from the UK.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can get my phone's firmware upgraded without going through Nokia?

Thanks.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 12:10 AM

the 6230 only syncs under 10.4.6 iSync 2.2 and I had to choose the option to erase the phone contacts, whereupon it synced from the laptop. Syncing both ways now works.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 07:51 AM

Bankyfan,

Sounds like you are getting the typical Nokia "not made here" story. For firmware, try contacting - http://www.iunlock.com/ - to see if they can help you.

robby,

Yes, you were not using sync before.

btsugawa
Apr 6, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur
Bankyfan,

Sounds like you are getting the typical Nokia "not made here" story. For firmware, try contacting - http://www.iunlock.com/ - to see if they can help you.
Thanks! That looks to be an excellent solution.

Cheers.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 05:59 PM

Not so good results today.

Went to sync this AM and I stopped it at almost 9500 contacts. I was afraid to let it continue on for what it might do if i couldn't catch it in time.

I think isync is seeing the differences between what it was able to write the 1st time, and what the phone presents on sync the 2nd time. Either way, not satisfactory.

I lost a LOT of data on the initial delete/sync so I'm going to use my old standby Phone Director to lay down the addy book all over again.

Unless someone has an idea, sync for 6230i is NOT ready for primetime

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 07:31 PM

At last. Although I must say that PhoneDirector has worked flawlessly all this time.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 01:35 AM

iSync 2.2 is working fine for me with a 6230b.

Chinasaur: Since you've got all your data in PhoneDirector (it's all backed up), you might try deleting all the contacts from the phone and resyncing from Apple's address book. Can't hurt anything, since your data in PhoneDirector is all current.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 05:47 AM

Amazing,

I did that. It laid down a very incomplete version of the addy. The next morning I attempted to sync again just to see what would happen and I stopped Sync at 9000+read from the Phone contacts! I didn't feel like hosing my address book so I stopped. I use a lot of custom label names so I think sync is seeing every deviation as a change..even though sync put it on the phone that way. Can't think of any other explanation.

Once I back up my address book I'll wipe and reload with isync and see what happens when left to it's own devices.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 12:19 PM

I probably should have elaborated a little more, I cant even get iSync to recognize the device, when I scan for devices to add it sees the 6230 just fine, but always says that it isnt compatible. Are there different revisions of the 6230 that arent compatible perhaps? Or is there some preference somewhere on the Mac or phone that needs resetting?

Thanks for any help.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 02:35 PM

Is it possible there is a setting in the phone that allows remote connections? I seem to remember something like that..or maybe that had to do with Bluetooth.

How are you connecting to your 6230 from your Mac?

What is your firmware ver?

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 07:12 PM

Shortcipher; The response you're getting is exactly what iSync used to say under 10.4.5 and the previous version of iSync. Are you currently running 10.4.6--because that's the only way to get the 6230 to sync, mainly because that's the only way you can get the new version of iSync.

If you're running anything prior to 10.4.6 then iSync just can't even see the 6230.

tonydanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 11:08 AM

iSync checks the firmware revision for the 6230, however there is a workaround if you can not update your firmware to the current version.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....62178&#2062178

Forum Links
Forum Rules