Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Amazing Story: Two Trapped Tasmanian Miners

Amazing Story: Two Trapped Tasmanian Miners
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2006, 05:03 AM

Link

Two miners in Tasmania have been trapped underground for a week. They were sure that they had perished, but discovered a couple of days ago that they are instead alive. They are now trying to reach them by drilling a hole to them in an effort to reach them.

I say that we should all send our well wishes, if only in thought, and hope for the very best.

It will be an amazing miracle to get them out unharmed and alive.

Another article about the efforts to rescue them.

Anti-Spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 05:16 AM

I saw that on TV and it was on all day and all night. Well, they are gonna be fine, at least send them a PSP or a gameboy, their gonna be there for another day or two.

i woulda gone mental, without some sort of entertainment.

Nagittar
May 3, 2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Anti-Spam
I saw that on TV and it was on all day and all night. Well, they are gonna be fine, at least send them a PSP or a gameboy, their gonna be there for another day or two.

i woulda gone mental, without some sort of entertainment.
looks like you you weren't far off the mark ...
"iPod relief for trapped miners"

Brass
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 12:54 AM

The mine is just a few minutes up the road from where I live. Apparently they're stuck in a safety cage in the tunnel that is about 1.5 metres high and not very wide. Very cramped for a whole week! But they've got a small 10cm tunnel to them now to at least give them some basic supplies. Hoping to have the rescue tunnel in place tomorrow, I think.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2006, 02:48 AM

Yeah i went to school with some of the people they've been showing on T'V recently and it does nothing for Tasmania's image.

I'm sure the reporters are picking out the most redneck piss heads to interview just to reinforce the Tasmanian stereotype (that we're all a bunch of inbred hicks).

Amazing story though, but the sad thing is, that the mine has never done any good and i don't think its ever recouped the money they've pumped into it, so these blokes have gone through this for nothing.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
May 3, 2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nagittar
looks like you you weren't far off the mark ...
"iPod relief for trapped miners"
I would like to know would the iPod battery last long enough for the miners to listen continuously before they are rescued? And I wish they get to keep the iPod after come out.

Can someone send that Melbourne Age article to Steve Jobs?

Well, let's hope the two miners come out OK.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
I would like to know would the iPod battery last long enough for the miners to listen continuously before they are rescued? And I wish they get to keep the iPod after come out.

Can someone send that Melbourne Age article to Steve Jobs?
I hope they get an Apple discount for this.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 11:13 AM

Yeah, does someone know someone in PR at Apple?

zmcgill
May 3, 2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brass
The mine is just a few minutes up the road from where I live. Apparently they're stuck in a safety cage in the tunnel that is about 1.5 metres high and not very wide. Very cramped for a whole week! But they've got a small 10cm tunnel to them now to at least give them some basic supplies. Hoping to have the rescue tunnel in place tomorrow, I think.
<family guy>It's gonna be awkward to potty...</family guy>

Brass
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
<family guy>It's gonna be awkward to potty...</family guy>
Absolutely! These poor guys have been in the most squalid of conditions for the last 10 days. I hope they come out of it OK.

Brass
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spook E
Yeah i went to school with some of the people they've been showing on T'V recently and it does nothing for Tasmania's image.

I'm sure the reporters are picking out the most redneck piss heads to interview just to reinforce the Tasmanian stereotype (that we're all a bunch of inbred hicks).
One of the shots of the Today Tonight front woman (Naomi Robson?) was funny... being from Sydney, and in Tassie in the cold and rain, she was dressed in woolly turtle neck jumper and rain coat and still shiverring. Then they pan the camera around to see some of the local miners dressed in shorts and bonds blue singlets.

Amazing story though, but the sad thing is, that the mine has never done any good and i don't think its ever recouped the money they've pumped into it, so these blokes have gone through this for nothing.
I had a friend who worked there as an engineer for a few years after it re-opened. They were getting a reasonable amount of gold out of it (but it's all relative... it's like a couple of grams per ton of rock, or something crazy). He eventually went back to the mainland to another mine, because Beaconsfield was always on tender hooks of going broke any day now. They pump somehting like 3,000 litres of water a second out of that mine!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
May 8, 2006, 05:30 PM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2006, 05:34 PM

I don't really see what is so "Amazing" about it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Your pretty bloody negative chap aren't you? I bet your on prozac or something for the chronic depression you seem to have and try and spread around the forum under the guise of irony.

Anyway

I work in the street next to the local hospital here in Launceston (40k down the road from the mine) and the streets packed with media, news vans etc, its all very rock show!

Great result for the guys that were down there all that time, there'll be a huge piss up in Beacy today, those bogans love a beer or 3!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2006, 08:11 PM

what's amazing is god was on the trapped miner's side...this time...

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2006, 08:11 PM

Hilarious that they gave them iPods...

Glad they came out ok!
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
May 8, 2006, 08:19 PM

Maybe not "amazing".

But a touching story.

Nice to see these guys are alive. Miners don't survive so often; that is a good reason to party!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

Brass
Professional Poster
May 8, 2006, 09:28 PM

They're out in just the nick of time to go to the funeral of the one guy that did die in the earthquake. That's a very good thing!

Wow, imagine spending two whole weeks in a tiny box wedged in the rock a whole kilometre underground! And the first 5 days of that in darkness, not knowing if you'd be found in time or not (or at all!).

Took a lot longer to get them out than I expected, but better safe than sorry. This whold state is celebrating today. First time a rescue like this has been done anwhere in the world, apparently.

It's great that the two guys were able to walk out... there has been speculation that after being in such cramped quarters for so long, they may not be able to.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spook E
Your pretty bloody negative chap aren't you? I bet your on prozac or something for the chronic depression you seem to have and try and spread around the forum under the guise of irony.
Wow, you should go into business. physiological assessments of people you don't know over the internet.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules