Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > MySQL and Delicious Library

MySQL and Delicious Library
dnerf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 06:33 PM

I'd like to export my library to a MySQL database. Does anyone have an appropriate CREATE TABLE command to set things up ? I'd rather not fool around with field types and lengths if I don't have to.

Dick

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by dnerf View Post
I'd like to export my library to a MySQL database. Does anyone have an appropriate CREATE TABLE command to set things up ? I'd rather not fool around with field types and lengths if I don't have to.

Dick

Your table structure will depend greatly on the data you want to maintain, and the general format of this data.

If you don't already have MySQL experience, a tool like phpMyAdmin will help you create your database structure, as well as import data to this DB via a CSV or SQL dump file.

dnerf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 01:58 AM

I have enough MySQL experience that my concerns are centered around minimizing the effort in exporting the Delicious Library data, analyzing/editing the values using MySQL, then re-importing the edited values into Delicious Library. It looks like Delicious Library exports some 40 fields, and I'm assuming that, if I maintain all 40 fields in MySQL I'll have fewer problems in making the round-trip.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2006, 02:05 AM

I have enough MySQL experience that my concerns are centered around minimizing the effort in exporting the Delicious Library data, analyzing/editing the values using MySQL, then re-importing the edited values into Delicious Library. It looks like Delicious Library exports some 40 fields, and I'm assuming that, if I maintain all 40 fields in MySQL I'll have fewer problems in making the round-trip.

That's a decent assumption, since your own MySQL database will always offer you more flexibility in accommodating changes in structure than the DL export option.

How does DL save its data at the file system level? What format is this in? If it is in something like XML, you could also just parse out the data you need and generate MySQL insert statements to recreate your MySQL table, perhaps on scheduled intervals...

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2006, 01:02 AM

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

dnerf  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 01:54 AM

Weezer,

Thanks for the info about DeliciousSQLExport. It's almost what I wanted. Unfortunately it doesn't handle 'location in building', 'notes' or 'creation time' fields.

Dick

eddieroger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 02:18 AM

Weezer,

Thanks for the info about DeliciousSQLExport. It's almost what I wanted. Unfortunately it doesn't handle 'location in building', 'notes' or 'creation time' fields.

Dick
Sorry to bump a deadish thread, but I think I can help. How comfortable are you with Ruby? I've written a script that can pretty nicely parse through DL's current XML file and give you whatever attributes you like, and even then move to MySQL if you'd want. PM me if you want more, and I can write up some code for you.

Eddie

LazarusLong
Jan 7, 2007, 09:41 AM

Weezer,

Dick
DeliciousSQLExport now supports this information as well as shelves, borrowers and loans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules