Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Carbon Fibre Powerbook

Carbon Fibre Powerbook
Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 01:53 AM

well, something heavy landed on my 15" PB screen by accident, and it was snapped all the way to the back (more than the hignes could handle) and the hignes broke right the way... after struggling making the decision between buying a new PB or getting it repaired (technician said I need to get the whole display module, which would cost roughly around Cad$1,800), so I thought it was pricey, I used 2 elastic bands to hold the screen upright... i know it looks funny, but what can I do. I'm not gonna spend $1,800 to replace a still usable display...

If you were me, what would u do? I MUST buy another PB later... 15"Al seems to be my first choice at the moment.

Today i was sitting at school using my limping PB... and this guy who was sitting 3 metres away pulled out a brand new 12"Ti PB... making me jealous... haha~

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2003, 06:46 AM

Wow! How did you do that finish?

I love carbon fibre and I think the next PowerBooks should be made from it. Which of course would make them even more expensive!

Buy a 12" by the way.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

TiDual
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 06:56 AM

I also had a 1Ghz TiBook, dropped it about a foot (in it's case), and one hinge was crushed: result a 1000 Euro repair. I've since passed that machine on to a colleague, and got the 15" AluBook: fabulous machine, and definitely more robust.

We also have a rev. A 12" PB and a new G4 iBook here. Frankly, if 12" is enough for you (it isn't for me ... form factor great, but screen just to small), get the G4 iBook: I really like that machine, and can't see any reason to spend the extra for a 12" AluBook.

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2003, 07:24 AM

Woohooo~ I couldn't believe my eyes!!! I was looking for some PB accessories and I came across the hinges assembly replacement!!! it's at www.powerbookmedic.com , i just ordered a pair and hopefully they'll arrive soon and I can replace them myself... $200ish isn't too bad i guess...

my CF finish? ahha~ they're just stickers I bought from Canadian Tire (like Pep Boys in the states?) I cut them out carefully... just to cover up the scratches I made on the PB when I was attempting to do the repair...

I've been using the 15 for almost 2 years, I don't think i'll buy a smaller dimension PB... 15" is perfect for me ^^

Putta
Nov 28, 2003, 07:55 AM

Not to be one of those uptight people correcting everyone's threads, but out of interest for those who don't know, the light coloured trim round the edge of the TiBook is in fact made out of carbon fibre.

My paint peeled so much I just sanded the whole thing down. I don't like the way it looks when its open, but when its closed, the side view looks fantastic!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Putta:
Not to be one of those uptight people correcting everyone's threads, but out of interest for those who don't know, the light coloured trim round the edge of the TiBook is in fact made out of carbon fibre.

My paint peeled so much I just sanded the whole thing down. I don't like the way it looks when its open, but when its closed, the side view looks fantastic!

Pics ?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

gbarill
Nov 28, 2003, 07:05 PM

yes please, post some pics... i've thought myself about buffing down the paint on the hinges and trim and want to know what it looks like. turns out black, no? (i have a little black peeking through on my bottom right corner)
considering this tibook is almost 3 years old, it's in pretty good condition (course, i baby it, and so did the guy who owned it before me, but maybe not as much as some people) considering the extent of some of the paint peeling and stuff i've seen on newer models that people have...

beefstu01
Nov 29, 2003, 03:03 PM

Dude, where are the Type-R stickers?

I'm tempted though... I have access to loads of carbon fiber... muhahahahaha

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 04:05 PM

Alezone, you're a talented guy. I admire people that fixes things instead of replaicing them. My brother earns a living producing carbon fiber fittings for raicing sailing boats. Your work is v ery impressive.

macndave
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Alezone:

Hi Alezone, I really love the "Sky and Clouds" wallpaper. Can you post the image for download?

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Alezone  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 05:32 PM

beefstu01: That would be RICE!!! need to go "Euro" LOL

cenutrio: thank you for your complement... but I've just ordered the replacement hinge... I really need to get it fixed properly.

Macndave: Here you go - i took the picture

http://homepage.mac.com/alezone/.Public/sky.jpg

macndave
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Alezone:
Macndave: Here you go - i took the picture
http://homepage.mac.com/alezone/.Public/sky.jpg
Thank You...

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 08:38 AM

very cool, you are very inventive... Congratz!

Forum Links
Forum Rules