Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Documentary about Mac Fandom

Documentary about Mac Fandom
Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2007, 08:42 PM

Im taking a computer history class up at the local community college.. and they've asked us to write a paper or do a video on Computing history and the most innovative companies and whatnot.. and which have the biggest fans.. Basically a Mac version of trekkies except it would be the mac fanatics and stuff.. What do you all think.. I wouldnt mind having some members here just toss in some video about there addiction to macs and how they've impacted theyre lives..

This is my first college paper ever so im kind of geeked.

Any Help Would be appreciative

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 08:50 PM

Sounds interesting.

Are you going to poke fun at us?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2007, 08:56 PM

LOL im just as bad as most hardcore mac geeks out there i mean come on I got a Mac Plus with original boxes in my living room. an iMac G4 sitting on the coffee table, and a Mac SE that just shows the weather information in my entertainment center.. But yeah it seems like its going to be a fun project

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 12:00 AM

A good move would be to print out every single thread in the Lounge and attach it to your paper as evidence.

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 12:02 AM

I hate Macs.
Not really. Today is OPPOSITE DAY, like in 3rd grade. Mac users are mature.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 12:49 AM

It would be an interesting project. Considering how much people are willing to pay for their Macs... I'm sure there is money to be had with such a film.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 09:47 AM

Be sure you don't randomly capitalize words in your paper like you did in the OP.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 10:00 AM

Well, we can be a handful at times. Apple employees are worse - almost scary as they appear brainwashed to a certain degree.

I think we're a loyal bunch because we like the hardware, software, and that all important image of not being the beige bore (even when Macs were beige).

When else in the history of computing has it been cool to be a geek? I think Apple made that possible.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
A good move would be to print out every single thread in the Lounge and attach it to your paper as evidence.

-t
ROFL. I completely agree. It's the only way to go.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 05:02 PM

Thats alot of paper to print out every single threat in the lounge

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
Thats alot of paper to print out every single threat in the lounge
Oh come on, show some dedication.

But please print two-sided on recycled paper.

-t

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 08:25 PM

Well Guys I need a Title.. I was thinking Maccies kind of like trekkies but that doesnt sound good.. or something along the lines of this.. Apple- A Hard look into the company that has almost become a religion

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 08:35 PM

The Fellowship of the Mac

A goofy collection of odd balls with the goal of, of, of...

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
The Fellowship of the Mac

A goofy collection of odd balls with the goal of, of, of...
I really like that.. Its great.. lol now to get steve wozniak to be on it lol

So Far this is what im planning.. The opening starts with the 1984 Mac Ad.. And then goes into someone talking about there first experience with that little mac

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 10:15 PM

Jumbo: to be completely honest, what you are describing sounds painfully boring. A Mac documentary that basically just puts Apple in a positive spotlight and goes on about how great Macs are would be about as exciting as watching a prolonged commercial.

What is really fascinating to me about Mac fandom has nothing to do with the quality of Apple's products, but what it is that demands this loyalty, this emotional investment, this (sometimes reactionary) defense of most things that Apple does, and what sparks this religion. The obvious answer is good quality products, but there is more to this than just that, I think. Go beyond the obvious.

How many other companies have this sort of fan base? Many companies make good, even great products. Is there fanatic base of Ferarri owners? Of Pepsi drinkers? Of a clothing line? Of a record label? Of a gaming platform? What makes the whole Apple culture tick?

Jumbonium2007  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Jumbo: to be completely honest, what you are describing sounds painfully boring. A Mac documentary that basically just puts Apple in a positive spotlight and goes on about how great Macs are would be about as exciting as watching a prolonged commercial.

What is really fascinating to me about Mac fandom has nothing to do with the quality of Apple's products, but what it is that demands this loyalty, this emotional investment, this (sometimes reactionary) defense of most things that Apple does, and what sparks this religion. The obvious answer is good quality products, but there is more to this than just that, I think. Go beyond the obvious.

How many other companies have this sort of fan base? Many companies make good, even great products. Is there fanatic base of Ferarri owners? Of Pepsi drinkers? Of a clothing line? Of a record label? Of a gaming platform? What makes the whole Apple culture tick?

I agree.. I dont want it to be like a prolonged commercial.. boy ill need some help with this one

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2007, 12:16 AM

I would really focus on the viciousness of the Mac loyal. Sure they get caught up in the Steve Jobs RDF, but there are so many self hating Mac users out there it's funny.

You should read "The Cult of Mac" before going all that much further.

Forum Links
Forum Rules