Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac *AS* Bluetooth Headset?

Mac *AS* Bluetooth Headset?
azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 09:00 PM

Today I was playing around with Romeo with my T610 and Powerbook, and tried the CallerID feature... which is quite cool.

However it got me thinking... When my Phone is in my pocket, and *rings...*

...why should I have to take it out to answer? I should be able to click "Answer" on a Romeo-ish pop-up CallerID window, and have my Powerbook become a BT headset.

The Powerbook on my lap, after all, has a Built-in Mic and Speaker which work great for iChat. Bluetooth headsets are a relatively standard software protocol that I'm shocked hasn't been coded into a Mac application yet, to my knowledge. Has it?
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 09:48 PM

I'm sure most people have thought about that when using applications like Romeo, BluePhoneMenu, and Salling Clicker. There must be some technical issue that isn't making it possible...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

chessplayer
Sep 25, 2004, 12:35 AM

I really, really want this feature too. Anyone know what the technical difficulties are?

perbl
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2004, 06:16 AM

I do not think that the bluetooth-software in OS X supports the audio-gateway feature yet. Kinda strange, since Apple was one of the first to embrace bluetooth and integrate it into their products, while this feature has been standard on windows for quite a while now

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 25, 2004, 10:46 AM

It's absolutely technically possible, since headsets is one of the primary devices Bluetooth was designed for!

I doubt it would take much, I'm sure someone will write it, if Apple doesn't already have it in the works. Perhaps it's a feature request we should submit to Apple?

tooki

nerd
Senior User
Sep 25, 2004, 11:00 PM

You can do this with XP, I discovered it by accident. I gave my old T68i and Belkin Bluetooth adapter to my girlfriend's brother. The 1st couple times he answered the phone we were hearing the conversation through the computer. He couldn't talk because he didn't have a mic. Somehow without knowing we added the computer as a headphone service. Once we removed the service (on the XP side) then the phone answered normal.

I would love to see this service, have it use the iSight for the mic. Someday............

Brad

chessplayer
Sep 26, 2004, 09:17 PM

I suggested this as feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/isync.html
It's not exactly an isync suggestion, but I didn't see a more appropriate category. I really hope Apple implements this!

Forum Links
Forum Rules