Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > windows file server...crapping on our macs

windows file server...crapping on our macs
Phydeaux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2004, 11:17 AM

hiyas...

someone else out there must have experienced this before...i hope!

we are running a file server using windows 2003 server edition. half of our company run macs on either mac 10.2 or 10.3. we have been loggin into the server using smb. however, we are experiencing permissions errors when trying to move, delete, or alter files and folders on the server. it seems random at times...i can create a folder and then move it without a problem sometimes, but other times when i try to do the same thing, it tells me that i do not have sufficient privileges. we had our IT guy give full permissions and access to the user names but this didn't really do much.

so...we tried loggin in through afp. the permissions errors no longer occur that way, but any file name 32 characters or longer get truncated and distorted. if we click on the truncated folder to open it, the name becomes permanently truncated across all platforms and services.

what's the dealio?

is there something in windows 2003 that we need to set or something on the macs that we can change to make them play nice together?

if there isn't a way to do this...is there at least an app of some sort that we can run to batch rename files to 31 characters or is that a pipe dream?

any help is appreciated...thanx in advance!
( Last edited by Phydeaux; Sep 28, 2004 at 10:19 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules