Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Simple question regarding configuration files

Simple question regarding configuration files
perbl
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2005, 06:19 AM

Does the network configuration and internet connect utility in OS X store the settings in some kind of plain text files anywhere? The reason why I wonder is that we are trying to get a Mac up and running on a network here where PEAP via ethernet is uses to authenticate computers connected to the network, and for some reason the PowerMac running Panther is unable to connect. No self-explaining messages, it times out, the settings are all correct and we have tried mixing them around in all kinds of obscure combinations as well

So I was wondering if there exists some kind of config-files anywhere (similar to other *nixes), so I could compare the settings from the working Suse and Debian-linux-clients with the written settings in OS X, which is really starting to annoy me, specially since I am trying to show people around here the wonders of MacOS, but I won't get much cred when the one Mac on the network isn't even able to connect to the network

perbl  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2005, 06:22 AM

Or, if people have any obvious traps or tips regarding PEAP/MSCHAPv2 authentication that would also be great . It works like a charm on linux/windows, but the Mac is the problem, and I am starting to believe this is a problem with the network configuration, and not the on the client-side of the Mac, since I am running out of options to test.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2005, 06:03 AM

you've probably already found an answer, but for what it's worth...here is an example of setting up PEAP for 10.3: http://www.usask.ca/its/help_desk/ne.../mac_peap.html

when you set up your airport card, did you make sure to check that the encryption to use is PEAP?
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules