Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2nd Monitor Colour Management

2nd Monitor Colour Management
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Apr 4, 2008, 08:48 PM

hey guys,

just bought myself a Samsung sm223bw monitor to run along side my 20" imac, now obviously there is a colour difference between the 2 and as im a graphic design student colour is important to me, so what are people tips and tricks for setting some kind of colour equilibrium between the two monitors?

Notes: i dont have one of those colour correction tools that u can get and atm dont have any plans on buying on and also i have loaded the colour profile for the SM223BW monitor off the supplied CD and my imac runs the suplied imac colour profile

(yes im english lol so for you americans substitute colour for color lol)

thanks

Matt
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

red rocket
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2008, 04:06 AM

I must have spent at least three hours trying to get my two monitors to match up, turned out to be impossible, so I gave up.

If I were in your situation, I’d try to rent or borrow one of those hardware calibration devices from your university, they might have one somewhere. At least talk to the tutors, one of them is bound to at least know someone who’s got one of the things.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Apr 5, 2008, 01:22 PM

yer, was thinking about seeing if anyone had one i could borrow, hope fully someone will have one, thanks
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 12:52 AM

If you just need them to be fairly accurate, you can use Apple's calibration tool (click "Calibrate..." under the Color tab of the display prefs), or a free tool like SuperCal... to calibrate a second display, you have to move the menubar to that display.

If you are reasonably serious about accurate color, you could drop $130 US on Pantone's Huey Pro calibrator, which does a very good job for the price. It makes it easy to get accurate color across multiple displays.

Just a note: You are less likely to get accurate color across multiple displays if they are made by different manufacturers... but that doesn't mean you can't get close. And you cannot rely on the provided monitor profiles for any display. If you need accurate color, you need to create a custom profile.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

OreoCookie
Apr 9, 2008, 03:59 AM

If you are a graphics design student, you need to calibrate your displays. You can get (new) hardware calibration tools for as little as $65 (which is what I've paid for mine). More expensive ones will be better, but cheap ones will be a start.

Software calibration will not give you comparable results. Forget about it.

Also, one other thing to keep in mind that different panel types have different behavior. TN panels usually have a much smaller gamut (range of displayable colors), so even after calibration you will see some differences. If you have a white iMac, it uses a S-IPS display and will give you better colors than your newer Samsung.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules