Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Iphone in hot weather

Iphone in hot weather
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 10:37 AM

I've always carried whatever cell phone I've had in my pants pocket in the summer. The subway stations where I live get terribly hot and I'm sure there is moisture that condenses whilst I sweat to death on the platform. My pocket will sometimes get slightly damp, never wet--I don't usually sweat *that* much. (unless the N train gets delayed) Will that moisure damage the iphone over time? It's never hurt whatever cell phone I have used in the past, but this is the first "smartphone" I've ever had and I didn't know if it was more delicate or something. That, and I know Apple is quick to void warranties from water damage. Just curious--

[email protected]
Aug 6, 2008, 11:03 AM

Not sure about you americans, (so wanted to call you yanks, lol) but over here in Britain o2, said that any damage you get will be free to fix (including water damage) You have to pay the excess though, thats on the warranty.

try and look in the leaflets you got with your iphone, it explains all there, (at least it did here)

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2008, 11:14 AM

I live in the desert where it's regularly 110-120 degrees and lately it's also been pretty humid. Luckily, I haven't had any problems with my phone so far. I think you'd only have to be concerned about condensation forming on your phone if you quickly take it form a very cold environment to a very hot environment.

Is yours in a case, or is it "naked?" I would say that if it's in a case of some kind, you should be completely protected.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 11:42 AM

It's in a silicone case but it has openings for the headphone jack and USB attachment so its not "sealed" within that case. I can't imagine Apple would create a cell phone that wasn't designed to be carried in a pocket under reasonable conditions so its probably no biggie.

Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2008, 01:03 PM

It might discolour the casing of the iPhone if its anything like the early macbooks due to the sweat, but I doubt it. You use a case for it aswell so you should be protected from anything like thtat.
Macbook mid 2007: 2Gb Ram, Intel core 2 duo, 2.16GHz, 500Gb HDD, Snow Leopard 10.6.6
HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7!)
iPod 5G 80GB
iPod Mini 4GB (Blue)

Parvez
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2008, 03:20 PM

I think it's safe.

Sometimes the R train gets delayed, well it gets delayed even during the weekends, and I sweat so much. It sucks..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 03:44 PM

If you sweat more than enough through your pants to damage a phone, you have more problems than keeping the iPhone dry (also, try ziploc bags).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by randman View Post
if you sweat more than enough through your pants to damage a phone, you have more problems than keeping the iphone dry (also, try ziploc bags).
lol!

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
If you sweat more than enough through your pants to damage a phone, you have more problems than keeping the iPhone dry (also, try ziploc bags).
If you ever spent any time on a NYC subway platform in the summer with train delays you'd understand. Think of black asphalt in the summer--now think of being in a tunnel right underneath that asphalt. Taking it further, the subway cars are air-conditioned but the platform isn't--so *additional* hot air is blown into the tunnel from the a/c systems on the train.

It is literally like Hell itself. I don't know how the guys in suits do it.

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2008, 10:19 AM

yeah I know I could never be one of the guys all dressed up in suits.
I love it when I can get on an express train, like the A.
I just wish that the underground platforms would have AC! And the AC on the trains aren't even that good, especially when its packed.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
If you ever spent any time on a NYC subway platform in the summer with train delays you'd understand.
I lived in Singapore (80 miles from the equator and hot and humid year-round and did the Subway (MRT) almost daily so I'm quite familiar with similar experiences.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules