Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My 60 GB drive in TiG4 1 GHz SD is a Toshiba

My 60 GB drive in TiG4 1 GHz SD is a Toshiba
cobus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2002, 05:20 AM

I reseived my 1 GHz SD PowerBook. I ran Apple System Profiler an discovered that my stock 60 GB hard drive was a TOSHIBA MK6021GAS. This is a bit surprising, as other people report having a Fujitsu.

My serial number is QT250***NWL (so built during week 50).
The part number is Z07CO1LBF.

I ran Xbench 1.0b3.

With power cord attached and AppleTalk on, I had an Overall Score of 96.15.

I switched AppleTalk off, unplugged the cord and restarted. This led to a 113.09 score.

Here it is :

Results 113.09
System Info
Xbench Version 1.0b3
System Version 10.2.2
Physical RAM 1024 MB
Processor PowerPC,G4@0 [1000 MHz]
L1 Cache 32K (instruction), 32K (data)
Bus Frequency 134 MHz
CPU Test 87.20
GCD Recursion 82.74 3.23 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 89.97 303.22 Mflop/sec
AltiVec Basic 81.63 4.43 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 94.45 4.24 Mops/sec
Thread Test 77.79
Computation 60.57 487.94 Kops/sec, 4 threads
Memory Contention 107.67 340.55 MB/sec, 2 threads
Lock Contention 65.14 817.67 Klocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 105.05
System 107.39
Allocate 104.14 54.78 Kalloc/sec
Fill 170.79 979.37 MB/sec
Copy 47.24 283.45 MB/sec
Stream 102.72
Copy 102.48 409.90 MB/sec [altivec]
Scale 102.66 410.65 MB/sec [altivec]
Add 105.00 420.01 MB/sec [altivec]
Triad 100.73 402.91 MB/sec [altivec]
Quartz Graphics Test 118.67
Line 118.00 3.00 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 70.29 4.95 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 161.26 3.72 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 131.75 1.43 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 112.08 1.89 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 200.18
Spinning Squares 200.18 140.08 frames/sec
User Interface Test 130.01
Elements 130.01 41.60 refresh/sec
Disk Test 72.75
Sequential 88.73
Uncached Write 64.48 24.01 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 67.49 23.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 159.00 23.50 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 63.95 23.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 56.77
Uncached Write 69.87 1.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 53.83 11.19 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 41.60 0.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 61.79 11.89 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

oeyvind
Senior User
Dec 19, 2002, 05:57 AM

Got the same 60GB Toshiba in my custom ordered Ti 867

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2002, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reports. Apple has long sourced similarly rated HD drives from more than one source for a single PB model, so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. And the TOSHIBA MK6021GAS and FUJITSU MHS2060AT do share similar specifications.

TOSHIBA MK6021GAS
4200rpm
2MB/cache
75.5Mbit/mm2 density
9.5mm height

FUJITSU MHS2060AT
4200rpm
2MB/cache
85.1Mbit/mm2 density
9.5mm height

Is the Toshiba nice and quiet?

cristiano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2002, 10:56 AM

month ago the hd for portable apple was product by IBM, but recently IBM has subappalted the development of hd to toshiba, so in the future apple will have only toshiba.

bye
soy lo9deseo de lo que deseo ser

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2002, 11:09 AM

Hmmm... Interesting. The Fujitsu and the Toshiba do seem to perform similarly in Xbench. As long as the Toshiba is quiet, either would be fine.

Other benches are here.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2002, 11:17 AM

My replacement TiBook had that same 60GB Toshiba drive as well. As soon as I powered the machine up I immediately noticed that the drive was louder and noisier than my first TiBook with the Fujitsu. So, I opened System Profiler and sure enough, it wasn't a Fujitsu. The Fujitsu is practically inaudible but you know when the Toshiba is active.

So, in addition to the noisy HD, the replacement unit had that over-lit blotchy LCD syndrome, over tightened hinges which warped the display while opened and closed and had fans that were even louder and more active than the previous. Well, the replacement went back to Apple as well. I am contemplating a third TiBook or just getting a refund. Quit frankly, I am surprised at Apple's QC and never had these issues with other manufactures.

Sorry I highjacked this thread! Back on topic... :o

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2002, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
My replacement TiBook had that same 60GB Toshiba drive as well. As soon as I powered the machine up I immediately noticed that the drive was louder and noisier than my first TiBook with the Fujitsu. So, I opened System Profiler and sure enough, it wasn't a Fujitsu. The Fujitsu is practically inaudible but you know when the Toshiba is active.

So, in addition to the noisy HD, the replacement unit had that over-lit blotchy LCD syndrome, over tightened hinges which warped the display while opened and closed and had fans that were even louder and more active than the previous. Well, the replacement went back to Apple as well. I am contemplating a third TiBook or just getting a refund. Quit frankly, I am surprised at Apple's QC and never had these issues with other manufactures.

Sorry I highjacked this thread! Back on topic... :o
Errr... Hmmm... The fans are even worse in your replacement?

I was tempted to send in my TiBook to have them look at the fans, but this has me wondering now.

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2002, 11:46 AM

Yep the replacement was worse, and mine was built after 12/6. I failed to mention earlier that the replacement had 3 dead pixels as well as the other problems. The thing is, when they put a replacement through you're just getting another order as if you are ordering for the first time. No one is making sure it doesn't have issues of the previous one. They don't know that it's a replacement where they are building it. Of course a lot of these are leaving the factory this way so I am not sure what they know about these issues or if there was ever a fix at all. I guess you have to be lucky to get a 'good one' and I haven't had that luck. I was thinking about getting an iBook to hold me over until they get their act together.

cobus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by issa:
Is the Toshiba nice and quiet?
It's rotation is almost silent, but "head jumping" is only quiet.

Honestly, I would have prefered the Fujitsu, which has a higher density and is reported more silent by StiZeven.

Cobus.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 12:01 PM

Now that I come to think of it, I ought to check my replacement when I get it back (hopefully with the fan fixed) from the Apple Store today or tomorrow. When I powered it up it booted VERY slowly -- though that could be some other issue -- and then I momentarily heard the hard drive when I opened Photoshop, and made a mental note to check where it is a Fujitsu or not. Still, whatever it is, it is very quiet. Every previous laptop I've ever used had a hard drive that sounded like a dentist's drill.

I too would prefer the Fujitsu -- they seem to be very confident that it is the best drive in its class, and two specifications stand out; the slightly higher density and the fact that it uses 0.65 watt at idle instead of 0.9 watt on the Toshiba. I have a feeling Fujitsu's spindle design is better and that means slightly (but I do mean slightly) less power use, and probably significantly less risk of failure during the life of the computer.

By the way, does any one else notice uneven lighting with the LCD? Mine seems to be light in the bottom corners and dark across the bottom center of the display, unless I have the display opened as far as it will go, and then it looks very even.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 12:10 PM

Sorry for the double post but one further comment; in response to the person who started this thread, those xBench numbers are interesting. On my initial Powerbook, which had the Fujitsu, the sequential speeds were in the 22-23 MB/sec range and the random speeds were right around the 12 MB/sec range. So could it be that the Toshiba is faster in absolute terms but takes longer to hunt around the hard drive? Because cobus is reporting 24MB/sec sequential and 11MB/sec random. Or is his drive just fragmented from installing software and therefore has the potential to speed up on random?

That 24MB/sec result is other-worldly for a 4200rpm drive, and it completely demolishes any 5400 laptop drive for which I've seen a benchmark; I get 25MB/sec with the 7200 drive in my G4.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by photoeditor:
Now that I come to think of it, I ought to check my replacement when I get it back (hopefully with the fan fixed) from the Apple Store today or tomorrow. When I powered it up it booted VERY slowly -- though that could be some other issue -- and then I momentarily heard the hard drive when I opened Photoshop, and made a mental note to check where it is a Fujitsu or not. Still, whatever it is, it is very quiet. Every previous laptop I've ever used had a hard drive that sounded like a dentist's drill.

I too would prefer the Fujitsu -- they seem to be very confident that it is the best drive in its class, and two specifications stand out; the slightly higher density and the fact that it uses 0.65 watt at idle instead of 0.9 watt on the Toshiba. I have a feeling Fujitsu's spindle design is better and that means slightly (but I do mean slightly) less power use, and probably significantly less risk of failure during the life of the computer.

By the way, does any one else notice uneven lighting with the LCD? Mine seems to be light in the bottom corners and dark across the bottom center of the display, unless I have the display opened as far as it will go, and then it looks very even.
The Fujitsu is quiet however I do hear an occasional "clicking" noise when I do simple tasks such as word processing, e-mail and web browsing. Its just one click though. Kind of odd.

I do also notice boot up is slow after upgrading to 10.2.3. Can anyone else confirm this?

Apple appears to have good turn around time with their repairs. I sent in my laptop for repair overnight to their repair center in Houston and I received it back within 2 days. They replaced my processor by the way.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2002, 01:34 PM

Sorry for the double post but one further comment; in response to the person who started this thread, those xBench numbers are interesting. On my initial Powerbook, which had the Fujitsu, the sequential speeds were in the 22-23 MB/sec range and the random speeds were right around the 12 MB/sec range. So could it be that the Toshiba is faster in absolute terms but takes longer to hunt around the hard drive? Because cobus is reporting 24MB/sec sequential and 11MB/sec random. Or is his drive just fragmented from installing software and therefore has the potential to speed up on random?

That 24MB/sec result is other-worldly for a 4200rpm drive, and it completely demolishes any 5400 laptop drive for which I've seen a benchmark; I get 25MB/sec with the 7200 drive in my G4.
Your G4 7200 drive is slow by today's standards. Also, my Fujitsu speeds are about the same. See this thread. My results with the Fujitsu:
Code:
Disk Test 67.10 Sequential 75.38 Uncached Write 68.69 25.57 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 67.92 23.79 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 100.70 14.88 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 64.23 24.08 MB/sec [256K blocks] Random 58.81 Uncached Write 72.16 1.21 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 58.08 12.07 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 40.70 0.44 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 64.30 12.38 MB/sec [256K blocks]
I figure as long as the speeds are within about 15% of each other that's within the realm of variation with new machines and I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, it seems that some of the 5400 rpm drives are quite fast too, but others are less speedy. Just as importantly though, some of the 5400 rpm drives come with 8 or 16 MB caches, which should give a significant boost in certain applications over our 2 MB Toshibas and Fujitsus.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2002, 03:48 AM

Yes, my replacement is indeed a Toshiba. And, indeed, it is merely quiet rather than almost inaudible. The most noise you ever got out of the Fujitsu was the steady sound it made, almost like a steady version of someone exhaling slowly and quietly.

Now for some benchmarking . . .

(I have to say it is simply phenomenal how fast this Powerbook launches Classic, it makes my desktop computer look like it's on its last legs by comparison)

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 08:23 AM

Just an FYI... that 60GB Toshiba can be had for a street price of $200, which might explain (in part) Apple's ability or decision to drop the price on the high-end PB.

Hell of a price for that drive. I will be able to upgrade to 60GB and 1GB of RAM for a total price of $350. That's incredible! My 667 DVI is going to be a happy camper.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2002, 08:42 PM

By the way, for those thinking of upgrading older machines, the Fujitsu 60GB can be had at CDW for $219 the last I checked -- best in class noise (lack of it), shock protection and energy efficiency. (as has widely been discussed both the 60GB drives Apple is using are almost the fastest laptop hard drives).

wdale
Dec 22, 2002, 08:57 AM

My replacement also has a Toshiba, is every new 1Ghz SD Powerbook shipping with a Toshiba drive now? Why do you think Apple changed from the Fujitsu if the Fujitsu is the best in class?

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2002, 09:32 AM

My replacement also has a Toshiba, is every new 1Ghz SD Powerbook shipping with a Toshiba drive now?
Your guess is as good as anybody's; but they're probably using both the Toshiba and Fujitsu.
Why do you think Apple changed from the Fujitsu if the Fujitsu is the best in class?
Again, it's anybody's guess, but the most likely reasons are:
(a) They got a better price on the Toshiba drives
and/or
(b) The Fujitsu 60GB drives are temporarily in short supply, perhaps because sales of the GigaBook have outpaced the number of drives committed to Apple from production.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Dec 22, 2002, 06:58 PM

Is anyone able to confirm that all the new ones are definitely Toshiba's? If that's the case I'll be agreeing to the hard disk swap when my DOA PowerBook is exchanged (originally I declined, but if I'm going to end up with a louder Toshiba drive then I'll agree).

cobus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 04:10 AM

So could it be that the Toshiba is faster in absolute terms but takes longer to hunt around the hard drive? Because cobus is reporting 24MB/sec sequential and 11MB/sec random. Or is his drive just fragmented from installing software and therefore has the potential to speed up on random?
Hi photoeditor !

My drive should not be fragmented : I only installed Opera, iCab, Netscape, OmniWeb and Xbench before running the benchmark. I had NO documents. Only some browser cache files (I tested these browsers to choose what will replace Internet Explorer - that I did not even test, by the way).

Have a nice day !

Cobus.

BJNY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2002, 03:29 AM

Will vendors (SmartDisk, LaCie, TransInt'l, etc.) start offering Firewire Hard Drives using the Fujitsu mechanism?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 06:03 AM

You can always buy an enclosure and put the Fujitsu drive in it. There's nothing stopping them from doing exactly that. However, most manufacturers of prefabricated external FireWire drives don't mention what brand the drive they're using is.

petek
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 02:15 PM

My new PB G4 1GHz has/had a 60 GB Toshiba. It was pretty quiet up until the time it went Buzz! Click Click! last week. Then it became very quiet, other than a subdued click every second or so.

However, the clicks were not as noticeable as the beachball that never went away.

I'm looking forward to hearing it make a little more noise when I get it back from the shop.

Funny thing though: although it wouldn't boot, Disk First Aid (booted from CD) could see the volume and attempted to fix it, followed by another one of those infinitely spinning beachballs.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2003, 04:01 PM

Hey Cobus,

How full was your drive when you tested?

The best score I have ever got out of mine is around 106 with about 20GB on it.

I ran Disk Warrior to clean up my installs of photoshop 7.0 and other stuff. Ran the graph and found it to be about 27% fragged, a bit higher than I would have expected.

Defragged it and now can't get a score over 101

The drive's write scores dipped from the 23.5-24 range to 21-22.

Disk Warrior took FOREVER to do it's thing as well.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

redmac1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2003, 10:23 PM

*sigh* mine is a Toshiba too. Second time that Apple has done this too me. (First time was a 667. At the time they were shipping with the new IBM fluid bearing drives and I ended up with a Toshiba then too).

Part of the reason I decided to get the 60GB drive is that everyone was reporting the 60GB to be a Fujitsu.

Honestly, I guess I understand Apple changing stuff, but it sure does get old when you expect one thing and get another.

I'm ALSO upset about the DVD being restricted to 1x burn when the 17" supports 2x with the same drive..

ARGHHHH

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2003, 11:12 PM

I have ordered a Toshiba 60 GB. I had tried to get the Fujitsu locally, partially because of the quietness but mainly because of the 3 year warranty, but nobody has it. There are some stores in the US that have it, but all the cheap places were noname places.

So after 2 weeks of waiting for orders to come in on the Fujitsu, finally I gave up and ordered the slightly cheaper Toshiba 60 GB one from Transintl.com in the US. Only 1 year warranty though.

That will be 120 GB of TiBook goodness!

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2003, 11:16 PM

my week 51 tibook i recieved this week also has a toshiba drive, so at the moment it seems new tibooks will be using them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules