Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbrick pro rant about screen resolution

macbrick pro rant about screen resolution
i_wolf
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2008, 11:57 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm impressed by the build quality and design of the new macbricks. However, for over 2k euro, I'm annoyed that the screen quality of the 15" is sub par relative to the competition. 15" LED backlit displays at 1900 X 1200 are available as standard in similarly priced competitors products. Dell offers it as a cost option with the XPS M1530 so why not, at the very least does Apple not offer it as an option to the customer.
For me , this is a semi deal breaker. The picture/image quality of the macbook pro's screen is very good.... its just the resolution is hard to live with if you play with photoshop.
Anybody else agree ?

i_wolf

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by i_wolf View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm impressed by the build quality and design of the new macbricks. However, for over 2k euro, I'm annoyed that the screen quality of the 15" is sub par relative to the competition. 15" LED backlit displays at 1900 X 1200 are available as standard in similarly priced competitors products. Dell offers it as a cost option with the XPS M1530 so why not, at the very least does Apple not offer it as an option to the customer.
For me , this is a semi deal breaker. The picture/image quality of the macbook pro's screen is very good.... its just the resolution is hard to live with if you play with photoshop.
Anybody else agree ?

i_wolf
if apple had implemented the resolution independent scaling then it would be useful. but i've had a mbp for awhile. as it is, i have to jack up font sizes to be able to work on it all day. i think for serious photoshoping i'd want an external drive anyway.

so my opinion is: yes, it should be BTO. no, it's not that important.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 04:11 PM

Absolutely. I've been griping about this since Dell/Sony released the 15" HD displays in 2003.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2008, 10:17 PM

Dell offers 1900x1200 on a 15" display?

I don't think I could handle that. I have the high res 17" 1920x1200 glossy (LED backlit) on my MBP, and I love it, but after a long day wearing my contact lenses, my head hurts.

I don't think I would want much more than a 1600 x 1050 or so in a 15" display.

Does this mean that I am getting old??

And where do you tweak font sizes in OSX? I might be willing to try that out!
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
Dell offers 1900x1200 on a 15" display?

And where do you tweak font sizes in OSX? I might be willing to try that out!
Yes, absolutely.

It's per app for now (until Apple gets resolution independence working). Zoom in Office, increase the font size in Firefox, etc.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2008, 04:35 AM

It's per app for now?

Who are you kidding? The menu bar and menu entries would still be ridiculously small. Window widgets, buttons, etc. would still be tiny. Interaction with your apps and your content would be a complete PITA. C'mon. Until Apple manages to put true RI into OS X, a 150 ppi resolution on a Mac would just suck. Plain and simple.

RI first, then high-res screens. Not the other way around.

i_wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2008, 08:22 AM

I dont agree. I believe it would be good to at least have Apple give customers the option for a higher resolution screen. Yes you can increase font size on a per app basis. This is a pain in the ass (while we await resolution independence) however once set the first time, its usually a forget about it thing. I had a T61p thinkpad with a nice 1900 X 1200 resolution running ubuntu. For photo editing in gimp or playing with photos in picasa it was fantastic. I would be willing to put up with a once off configuration pain per app for the time being if i could get the higher resolution screen.

P
Oct 28, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yes, absolutely.

It's per app for now (until Apple gets resolution independence working). Zoom in Office, increase the font size in Firefox, etc.
You can zoom in Firefox as well now. In fact, it seems a lot of apps have implemented zoom features over the last year or two. Responding to the market pressure from the hi-res screens, no doubt.

Who are you kidding? The menu bar and menu entries would still be ridiculously small. Window widgets, buttons, etc. would still be tiny. Interaction with your apps and your content would be a complete PITA. C'mon. Until Apple manages to put true RI into OS X, a 150 ppi resolution on a Mac would just suck. Plain and simple.
It would be bad (although I wonder if Shapeshifter can modify the fontsizes in the interface) but it would be workable. A reasonable tradeoff, perhaps, if you really wanted that hi-res display.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
A reasonable tradeoff, perhaps, if you really wanted that hi-res display.
I really want RI. Once I have that I will really want a high-res display. Without RI the high-res display to me is nothing but a hack. Nothing I'd use for serious work - at least not if I plan on being efficient.

Forum Links
Forum Rules