Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime broken - how I fixed it

Quicktime broken - how I fixed it
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2004, 01:38 PM

Okay just a note here to help others that may have had this problem.

All of a sudden Quicktime stopped working. I got the broken Quicktime icon whenever I tried to view a movie in a web browser. I also got another message about needing software from the Quicktime server but the server wasn't available. Furthermore if I launched the player and tried to update the software from within there it kept saying there was no software on the server.

I created a new user and sure enough it worked perfectly in the new user but not in the old one. So I used Backup to move all my vital files to my iDisk, deleted my user and created it again. Fired up Safari and it worked. Then used backup to restore. One of the items it asked me if I wanted to replace was my internetconfig plist. I said yes and then after the restore things stopped working again.

So I manually trashed the internetconfig plist restarted and now everything works again. Chances are that I could have done that right from the beginning!

As I said, posting this in the hope that it helps another....

Cheers,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 02:08 PM

I've never had that happen, but now I know what to do if it does. Thanks.

Now I'll share with you how I got Mozilla 1.6b working in Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1:

After downloading and untarring, Mozilla gave an error every time I tried to launch it: libstdc++-libstdc6.2-2.so.3 missing. I am a Linux newbie, so this meant a big nothing to me. A google search revealed an RPM containing a file of this name. I downloaded and installed; still no go. Then I found that libraries like this should go in /usr/lib, but the RPM had put it in /obs/something. A quick copy later and Mozilla was running!

By the way, all of this took me about 2 hours to fix. That's pretty weak, yes, but imagine your mom trying to do this. This kind of thing is why Linux is not ready for the desktop!

crt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 05:49 AM

I've been having a problem that sounds exactly like what you describe. I tried your fixes, but no help. I tried deleting the internetconfig.plist, and tried creating a new user. same result - broken QuickTime icons when I try to play QT files. Is there something else I need to reset?

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 07:48 PM

If you have a created a new user and Quicktime is still broken then it is not the same problem that I was experiencing. For me, Quicktime broke within my main user.

Trashing internetcofig.plist solved the problem.

Can you update Quicktime from within the application?

Have you tried installing the latest version (obvious I know)?

Did this happen after you upgraded?

Regards,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules