Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerCenter CD-ROM Problems: Help!

PowerCenter CD-ROM Problems: Help!
Celos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 02:08 AM

Hi...I've got a PowerCenter 150 with the default NEC CDROM in it. The machine came with CD-ROM ToolKit. Every now and again I've had strange CD-ROM problems with this machine (won't recognize certain discs, etc.).

I have also tried an extension from NEC called "NecCDDrvr" which works quite well. I've been using this one, mainly because it doesn't seem to hit the CD as much in idle mode.

But lately I've been getting strange errors when trying to install stuff off the CD drive. I get Type -199 errors and "Bad Disk I/O" errors, which I've never seen before. This happens with both the CDR toolkit and the NEC driver.

Anybody have any ideas what's up? Is my CD-ROM itself crapping out? I haven't checked cables and such, but since discs mount I figure I'm OK in that regard. Audio CDs also play fine. But I have had trouble (in particular) with the 8.1 install disc and the Office98 disc.

Machine particulars:
PowerCenter 150 w/PowerLogix G3 card
OS 8.6
Stock (on-board SCSI)

Any help is appreciated,
Celos

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2001, 09:22 AM

At the following link at NEC,

ftp://ftp.nectech.com/pub/peripherals/mac-cd/speedycd.hqx

you can download a file called Speedy CD (dated July, 1996) as a full installer package.

Maybe there is some small piece of software (control panel, extension, etc.) missing in your Sytem Folder.

Regards,

Walter.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2001, 03:31 PM

i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was the drive crapping out. the drive in my PC150 coastered out almost exactly a year after i bought it, hm, summer of 97. i don't think it was an nec drive, tho..

fwiw, it may be the extension from nec. installer cds, from apple in particular, are picky, especially when trying to boot from the cd..

could always go ask at powerwatch.com. someone there's probably seen this before..

and one extra mini-ellipse..
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

gpalmer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2001, 11:12 PM

I have the exact same computer and guess what? My cd-rom drive went out about a year ago. It started doing the same things you said and vibrated like crazy. I tried to replace it with a drive that was compatible with it but no luck. Sorry to say it but it sounds like its dead or dying. I ended up just buying a new computer because with all the upgrades i was going to do to it, it almost was the price of a new computer. Now I have networked the two together and use it to store all the stuff i dont use but want to keep.

Good luck,
Greg Palmer

Forum Links
Forum Rules