Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best NAS for Mac?

Best NAS for Mac? (Page 3)
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2009, 01:56 PM

I am mainly looking for a NAS to serve as an iTunes server for my 2 Macs and my Dell Mini 10v that runs OS X. My question is which is best and also how would I setup iTunes to move files to the NAS when I buy more music, movies, sync my iPhone, iPod.. etc etc... I would not need to use it for backup but would want to have at least 2 drives so they would be mirrored to prevent data loss.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2010, 12:21 PM

I thought of a weird solution that I'm actually using now:

I have two 1.5 TB drives in my G5 .2.5 dual. It's connected to my backbone by both gigabit ethernet and to my new iMac via Firewire800.

I can connect to the G5's drives via gigabit and the speed is really quite nice. Yes, I have a whole mac dedicated to external storage use.

It's kind of overkill but if the machine manages to last the year (I've said in the past that the machine seemed brittle after a transformer
explosion but it seems to have moved past this episode) I could theoretically add more drives to it if I need to.

Perhaps a first generation Mac Pro or similar hardware could be used similarly and if you need a spare computer well, it's already there on
your network functioning as a big box of discs.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2010, 04:08 PM

Anything new on this front? I need to set up some new, easy storage in the house and I'm starting to look at NAS devices (as well as just attaching a RAID mirroring enclosure to my Mac Mini). I'm mot looking to spend all that much, though. Any suggestions? I've heard good things about the two-drive ReadyNAS, except for the fact that the power connector is sometiems wonky, and NetGear's support sucks....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 04:12 PM

I was thinking about getting a NAS, but it's still too expensive for what I need.

I got a 3GB FW800 ext. HD that I attached to my main Mac.
It's the TimeMachine volume for everything.

That covers it for me.

-t

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 31, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I've heard good things about the two-drive ReadyNAS, except for the fact that the power connector is sometiems wonky, and NetGear's support sucks....
You don't use Netgear for support for the ReadyNAS units -- you use the ReadyNAS forums... ;-)

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
You don't use Netgear for support for the ReadyNAS units -- you use the ReadyNAS forums... ;-)
Those forums do seem useful (and extensive!). If I get one it looks like I'll be able to get plenty of support there.

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Anything new on this front? I need to set up some new, easy storage in the house and I'm starting to look at NAS devices (as well as just attaching a RAID mirroring enclosure to my Mac Mini). I'm mot looking to spend all that much, though. Any suggestions? I've heard good things about the two-drive ReadyNAS, except for the fact that the power connector is sometiems wonky, and NetGear's support sucks....
I asked the same thing over here.

If it helps, I started to put together a spreadsheet. But good luck tracking down AFP performance, everyone touts SMB.
--
Gorbag ("Beren" in Boinc)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by gorbag View Post
I asked the same thing over here.

If it helps, I started to put together a spreadsheet. But good luck tracking down AFP performance, everyone touts SMB.

If you are looking for performance, NFS should also be evaluated (particularly NFSv4). Unless the OS X NFS client is garbage, it should perform quite well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules