Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' issue not limited to iPhone

Consumer Reports: 'Purple haze' issue not limited to iPhone
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 10, 2012, 11:30 AM

The "purple haze" problem with the iPhone 5's camera is actually prevalent along several major smartphones, according to Consumer Reports. The publication recently tested several devices, and found that the iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S III, and Motorola Droid Razr Maxx all displayed degrees of the issue. In some cases the haze took on a different color or a rainbow effect, but all displayed similar trouble when bright lights were in the frame.

Consumer Reports points out that the issue simply boils down to lens flare, an issue that even professional-grade lenses are subject to. "How much flare appears in an image depends on how you orient the lens," the publication remarks. It adds that flare shouldn't show up in most photos, and that it can be minimized by using a hand to shield a lens from direct sunlight. The hoods on SLR lenses serve the same function.

keithhat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2012, 01:01 PM

Now that non-photographers are thinking more about and attempting photography this was reported everywhere like it's a "new" issue. Anyone who has seriously taken photos and planned shots is concerned about lens flare with any camera they use, DSLR, Video, Smartphone, GoPro, etc. They can all have flare problems if you point it towards a strong light source like the sun, use a flash or point it at a shiny object reflecting a strong light source. My Nikon D700 with expensive nano coated ED glass will flare if I point it the wrong way. Clearly it controls flare much better than my iPhone 5, but it can still flare if I am not paying attention. However the D700 won't fit in my pocket and is not with me all the time

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2012, 03:01 PM

I had a professional portrait studio for 16+ years and have been doing photography in various forms since 1966. Lens flare is nothing new, and it happens with cheap and expensive equipment. Even my Hasselblads did it. But, being a highly trained professional, I knew it and often used flare to my advantage.

agno3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2012, 04:23 PM

the only problem being that the SAME exact picture taken with a 4s and a 4 don't produce this purple result. Again apple blames the users. Just like with the antenna. I'm just a meezly little commercial photographer with a degree from RIT. (the premier photography school in the US) Its a load of crap. The camera is either designed wrong or the material around the barel is just crappy.

UmarOMC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2012, 11:10 PM

agno3, if you're a professional photographer you're not using an iPhone for production-level photography.
=============================
MDD G4 FW800 1GHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9k Pro/10.2.6

testudo
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by UmarOMC View Post
agno3, if you're a professional photographer you're not using an iPhone for production-level photography.
Um, he didn't say he was using it for production level photography, did he? Um, no. He said it doesn't take a guy like him (a professional photographer) to know Apple is spinning the story.

Again, no problem with the 4 or 4s, problem with the 5. Seems like a problem with the 5, rather than Apple's "Oh, but everyone has the issue!" (well, everyone except those with an older iphone!).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2012, 05:15 PM

Lens flare is always an issue for photography.
Better equipment always handles flare better.
The iPhone5 is supposed to be better equipment.
Unfortunately, the older equipment of the iPhone4 and 4S handles flare better than the iPhone5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules