Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > OS X Yosemite includes redesigned Mail, Safari apps

OS X Yosemite includes redesigned Mail, Safari apps
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 2, 2014, 01:44 PM

In Apple's new OS X Yosemite, Mail has received several upgrades, including faster mailbox switching and Mail Drop, which lets people send attachments up to 5GB via iCloud. The technology is integrated into Macs but generates URLs for other platforms. Email and PDFs can now be marked up via a trackpad.

Safari has gained a single-bar UI, and its search bar has picked up favorites and Spotlight search suggestions. RSS subscriptions can be added via new menu, and show up alongside favorite links. A new tab arrangement gives a "birds-eye" glance at tabs, stacked by site. Under the hood the software now supports standards like WebGL, SPDY, IndexedDB, JavaScript Promises, CSS shapes and compositing, and HTML5 premium video.

The company suggests that performance enhancements should allow up to two hours of extra battery life when streaming 1080p Netflix on a MacBook Air.

testudo
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2014, 02:50 PM

Woohoo! Redesigned mail!

Sure it'll still be buggy, and still lose mail, still not run rules when it should, etc. But it'll look different!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2014, 05:28 PM

What a pathetic life you must have that you spend your time making meaningless, fact-free comments. I pity you and your apparently-cursed parents.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2014, 05:50 PM

If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

akent35
Banned
Jun 2, 2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by testudo View Post
Woohoo! Redesigned mail!

Sure it'll still be buggy, and still lose mail, still not run rules when it should, etc. But it'll look different!
I'm sticking with Outlook, and Firefox. They both have been rock solid, and easily satisfy my needs.

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2014, 07:48 PM

The should have called it Mac OS X Barstow since it's flat and ugly.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jun 3, 2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
What a pathetic life you must have that you spend your time making meaningless, fact-free comments. I pity you and your apparently-cursed parents.

Overreactive personal attacks such as yours makes you look just as bad as a troll.
( Last edited by Grendelmon; Jun 4, 2014 at 09:36 AM. )

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jun 3, 2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
The company suggests that performance enhancements should allow up to two hours of extra battery life when streaming 1080p Netflix on a MacBook Air.
I haven't watched NetFlix on a Mac in years (I own three Rokus). Does it still use SilverLight?

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jun 5, 2014, 07:56 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules