Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Flawed iOS 8.0.1 can disable cellular, Touch ID; update pulled [u]

Flawed iOS 8.0.1 can disable cellular, Touch ID; update pulled [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 24, 2014, 01:33 PM

(Updated with warnings about potential iPhone problems, a fix for those who updated, and news of withdrawal of the delta update) Just a week after having released iOS 8.0, Apple has begun seeding iOS 8.0.1 via iTunes and as an over-the-air update. The most prominent change is a solution to a HealthKit bug that led Apple to pull apps using the platform from the App Store. Those apps are now cleared to return.

The update also deals with a variety of other bugs, such as ones that would block apps from accessing the Photo Library, or deselect third-party keyboards after entering a passcode. Other targeted issues include the reliability of Reachability; "unexpected" cellular data use when receiving SMS or MMS messages; ringtones not being restored from iCloud backups; and lastly, photos and videos not uploading via Safari.

Update: Some users caution that the update appears to be disabling cellular service or even Touch ID on some iPhones. The trouble is inconsistent, as some devices are unaffected.

Update 2: MacNN has contacted Apple support who claim that a "small number" of customers have been affected by a problem. Apple support recommends that users restore phones from iTunes, which has rectified the situation in all cases. Apple has now withdrawn the "delta" update, pending further revision.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 25, 2014 at 04:57 AM. )

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2014, 03:17 PM

While it probably wouldn't have made a difference on that device, I had the ever-annoying "You have purchases on this iPad that haven't been transferred to iTunes" warning, which I begrudgingly attended to... and by the time the dozens of purchases were finally transferred and I was ready to update, the update had been pulled.

Strange bit of timing.

testudo
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2014, 03:25 PM

Whine whine whine. First people whine about bugs in healthkit. Then they get those fixed, but whine because the phone stops working. Geesh, people, make up your mind!

Deezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2014, 03:59 PM

I am trying the update via iTunes and via Software Update on the phone itself. Both are reporting that 8.0 is the most current version, ie no update even available.

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2014, 04:06 PM

Be glad you can't update to 8.0.1 Deezy, unless you want a brick.

I copied an old back up from my Time Machine, trying to restore from that to go back to 8.0.

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2014, 04:22 PM

I'm trying this now-

http://www.imore.com/ios-801-kill-touch-id-and-cell-service-your-iphone-6-or-iphone-6-plus-heres-how-to-fix

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2014, 04:35 PM

That worked. I have a phone again. Geez.

PJL500
Sep 24, 2014, 05:34 PM

Cook furious. Everyone works Thanksgiving.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Sep 24, 2014, 06:10 PM

and christmas day!

Forum Links
Forum Rules