Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iToner no longer works

iToner no longer works
dmcnickle
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 03:48 PM

After the update the ringtones I installed using iToner are gone and the current version of iToner no longer works even though it acts like it does. It doesnt install the ringtones into the proper place so they can be used as ringtones.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 04:33 PM

Yeah it was not legal and breaks the use agreement for copyright songs used to make ringtones. It was expected with the last update.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 05:46 PM

What about ringtones you created yourself? How are we supposed to add those now?

arng1
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2007, 10:45 AM

Yeah, this really sucks. I hope the guys at ambrosia find a way to get it working again...

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2007, 02:33 PM

Moki El Presidente of Ambrosia has been posting in the macrumours forum here:

Ambrosia's iToner Updated to 1.0.2 - Mac Forums
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2007, 02:52 PM

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 10:19 PM

Well seems people are getting 1.0.2 reverted back now (check gizmodo.com) they are even un-briking unlocked phones now... So hopefully they make a tool for us to revert back to 1.0.2 frankly 1.1.1 is nothing I can't live without if it means my apps and free ringtones back

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Well seems people are getting 1.0.2 reverted back now (check gizmodo.com) they are even un-briking unlocked phones now... So hopefully they make a tool for us to revert back to 1.0.2 frankly 1.1.1 is nothing I can't live without if it means my apps and free ringtones back
Don't go steaming ahead with this downgrade if you still want to make phone calls. Only the OS files get reverted to 1.0.2, the modem firmware stays updated at v1.1.1 and doesn't allow any SIM, including original ATT valid SIM to work. Everything else works, so if you currently have a brick, the downgrade at least gets you all non-phone capabilities. BUT, if you updated to v1.1.1 and have a valid ATT account DON'T DOWNGRADE!
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 29, 2007, 11:18 PM

As far as the original topic, Makeiphoneringtone + iTunes 7.4.0 combined will allow you to get ringtones onto a v1.1.1 iPhone. There are steps listed over at the Macrumors forum.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User View Post
T, if you updated to v1.1.1 and have a valid ATT account DON'T DOWNGRADE!
I think the opposite is true, see here: Downgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 - The iPhone Dev Wiki

You will still have the newer modem firmware but the older software, the new firmware will lock you to AT&T (for now) but if you have a valid AT&T account you will have no problems and be on 1.0.2 so you get all your fun stuff back!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Yeah it was not legal and breaks the use agreement for copyright songs used to make ringtones. It was expected with the last update.
Sort of right. If you bought an iTunes DRM song - then those have a use agreement for ringtones. If you buy a CD from a store or make your own song/sound, then you have the perfect legal right to make your own ringtones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules