Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Windows Remote Desktop

Windows Remote Desktop
TikTokk
Feb 24, 2005, 11:47 AM

Just in case anybody out there is as clueless as I am, here's something I just found today.

I use my wife's WinXP box for IE testing when designing site's. So the old workflow was make a change, roll over to her comp and hit f5. Well I just found out that MS makes a remote desktop client for the mac. Now I just remote into her machine. So now when I need to test the page, I just command-tab to remote desktop and click refresh. So if you already own an XP box, it's much cheaper than buying VPC.

Well, I thought it was pretty cool anyway.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2005, 12:41 PM

yeah, i'm about to do exactly the same all next week. i figure if i have to use that damn machine, then at least i'll do it from the comfort of my own Powermac, rather than be sat looking at a Dell. ugh.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 02:37 PM

Note that it has to be XP Pro, not Home.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

leira
Feb 25, 2005, 12:05 AM

yeah and if you use an older (sp2 beta) termserv.dll you can even get concurrent sessions. ie 2 people can use the computer at the same time. one at console and one over the network.

Originally posted by TikTokk:
Just in case anybody out there is as clueless as I am, here's something I just found today.

I use my wife's WinXP box for IE testing when designing site's. So the old workflow was make a change, roll over to her comp and hit f5. Well I just found out that MS makes a remote desktop client for the mac. Now I just remote into her machine. So now when I need to test the page, I just command-tab to remote desktop and click refresh. So if you already own an XP box, it's much cheaper than buying VPC.

Well, I thought it was pretty cool anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules