Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Recommendation for saving text messages?

Recommendation for saving text messages?
kevs
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2018, 01:35 PM

Has anyone tested/ compared apps for this? Just glancing at one and developer says you should disable icloud before exporting text? That sounds really cumbersome.... So before I have some grief, curious anyone has delved in yet. Thanks.

I've decided it's a pity with all texts coming in that one cannot save them like one saves emails.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2018, 06:07 PM

Texts/iMessages are stored in an arcane and complex data structure in the iPhone/iPad. There are a bunch of apps to let you download them. You can even print them. I've messed with a few, but I can't say that any of them have been so useful as to be memorable.

This is one area where Android seems to be superior: there are a ton of free options for archiving texts in Android.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2018, 07:56 PM

PhoneView seems to be the best I've seen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules