Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Applevision 1710AV monitor with PC?

Applevision 1710AV monitor with PC?
tr
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 03:05 PM

Hi everyone!
My work has an 1710AV monitor that we used to use with our old PPC601 (R.I.P). I want to try hooking it up to one of our PC's, but one of the computer tech guys here keeps telling me it won't work. I disagree. Is there anyway to do it, with some sort of adapter, like a mac monitor to VGA sort of thing?

thanks,

tr

camera punk
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2000, 08:56 PM

infiniti
Aug 9, 2000, 01:56 AM

You may not have to buy anything at all!

If you still have all the original materials from the monitor (manual, software disks, etc.), it should contain a VGA adapter in a tiny plastic bag. I have a 1710 (not av), and the VGA adapter was in the box.

Good luck,
infiniti
12" iBook 900

infiniti
Aug 9, 2000, 02:00 AM

You may not have to buy anything at all!

If you still have all the original materials from the monitor (manual, software disks, etc.), it should contain a VGA adapter in a tiny plastic bag. I have a 1710 (not av), and the VGA adapter was in the box.

Good luck,
infiniti
12" iBook 900

The Wolfe
Aug 9, 2000, 04:37 PM

You can find those adaptors cheap, yes... but the AppleVision 1710 displays require that you have them plugged into an ADB port for proper calibration and full features. Without the ADB connection I think you'll be stuck with 640X480 @ 60htz refresh rate. Crummy.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

infiniti
Aug 9, 2000, 06:56 PM

sorry about the double-post (how does this happen? :confused)

Anyways, last night I pulled out my 1710's manual, and in the section entitled "Setting Up for IBM-PC Compatible Users", it says that you connect the VGA converter to the monitor cable, plug the converter into the VGA port on your PC, and leave the ADB cable alone, as "The ADB connector is for Macintosh computers only...."

In other words, you don't need any extra software or hardware (except for the VGA converter, if you don't have the one that came with the monitor) to use an AppleVison 1710/1710AV with a PC.

If you have any other technical questions about the AppleVision 1710 or 1710AV, you can read the Apple manuals (in PDF format).

AppleVision 1710 Manual
AppleVision 1710AV Manual

I hope this information will be useful.

infiniti
12" iBook 900

tr  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2000, 04:00 PM

hmmm...this is strange, I posted a response to you guys last night, but it doesn't seem to be here...

anyway, thanks everyone for all your help.
I read the 1710AV manual (thanks for the link, infiniti), and proved to the tech guy here that it could be used with a PC. Okay, now to get it to work.

I ran to Microcenter and got an HD15Male to DB15female adapter for $6. I put the adapter on and plugged the monitor into the PC, and nothing. Then I found an old Mac laying around here, and plugged it into that just to see if it worked, and it did. After some fiddling, I found out what I have to do: I plug it into the Mac, start up the Mac, then when it's done and the monitor works, I unplug it and plug it into the PC, which is already on. It's like I have to jump start it on the Mac first in order for it to work; I can't get the monitor to start up with the PC. It's strange, but it works.

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules