Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipod feature wish list

ipod feature wish list
icibaqu
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2005, 08:30 PM

i had a recent coversation about some random things we wished our ipods were able to do.

the consensus was that there should be a DELETE feature, or a way to mark songs for deletion (and then itunes would ask you if you were sure you wanted to delete that song or something)

what is your ipod wish list feature.

1. delete/mark for delete.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 08:58 PM

you could always put all the files you want to delete into an on the go playlist, and then when itunes syncs the on the go playlist will be synced. go into the itunes on the go playlist and hold apple + option and press delete on the files.

apple and option in an itunes playlist will delete the files from your library.

Butch Hauke
Nov 25, 2005, 09:57 PM

I'll second the vote for a delete function directly on the iPod. Right now, I just have a smart playlist that collects all the one star songs. If I want to delete something, I just rate it one star then delete it when I connect to my Mac.

I've also always wanted a way to adjust the left and right balance. Maybe it's just my ears, but most of the time the left channel seems to be a bit lower and I'd like to be able to compensate for that.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2005, 10:11 PM

I don't know how much wifi would drain the battery, but I would like to see a WiFiPod. Then you could listen to internet radio, download podcasts directly to your iPod, or listen to playlists that people are sharing from iTunes over the network. Maybe even set it up so that you can have shared playlists on your iPod and then people using iTunes or other iPods can listen.

I'm sure people would clamor for a way to check email and web (myself included), so that might make it a little too much like a PDA for Apple's liking. Again, this would probably kill the battery, but it would be cool.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2005, 11:50 AM

Maybe there's already a way, but I can't figure out how to bookmark a spot in an audio track. I listen to downloaded talk radio programs and if I want to switch and listen to music for a while, when I go back, I have to fast forward to where I left off. I'd think with the widespread availability of audiobooks, this would have to be a necessity.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 12:02 PM

@Gandkdawg,

* In iTunes, get info ( + i) on the file and go to options.
* Check the box "Remember Playback position"

This works on music and videos. When you leave the track and come back to it, it will be where you left it.

I found that Podcasts have this checkbox on by default.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
@Gandkdawg,

* In iTunes, get info ( + i) on the file and go to options.
* Check the box "Remember Playback position"

This works on music and videos. When you leave the track and come back to it, it will be where you left it.

I found that Podcasts have this checkbox on by default.
I will try this, thank you.

hcorf
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2005, 02:51 PM

quick question:

could i mark ALL my music to remember its place like that?

would it mess up the ipod?
PB 15" 1.5ghz : 1gig : Combo

warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2005, 01:53 AM

Is there currently a line out option that I haven't found on the iPod Nano? If there isn't, this is a great feature for hooking up to a stereo. Allows you to play it without having to crank your stereo to the point of distortion to hear your music.
iStink (with my Mac)

Butch Hauke
Nov 27, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by warfarer
Is there currently a line out option that I haven't found on the iPod Nano? If there isn't, this is a great feature for hooking up to a stereo. Allows you to play it without having to crank your stereo to the point of distortion to hear your music.
Well of course there's a line out option on ALL iPods with a dock connector: you just need to buy a dock to connect it to your stereo. I've got two docks connected to my stereo already: one for a mini and one for a 4G.

Butch
iMac Aluminum 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/20"/4GB RAM
iPod touch 16Gb (Black Diamond) in an iSkin touch
AppleTV 40GB / Koss KSC-75

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by hcorf
quick question:

could i mark ALL my music to remember its place like that?

would it mess up the ipod?
i haven't found a way to select more than one track and get info them to check that box. so if you really want to do each song in your itunes library individually you could do it. i don't see how it could mess up your ipod, but if you ever press next on a song and hear it again one day it'll be from where you pressed next.

Forum Links
Forum Rules