Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading G4 iBook for Tiger

Upgrading G4 iBook for Tiger
icibaqu
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2006, 04:20 PM

I have a 1.07 GHz G4 iBook running 10.3.9 w/ 256mb built in. (i know. don't cry).

I want to up the RAM and upgrade it to Tiger for now. In doing that I also really want to speed it up so that my fiancee and I can use it interchangeably with my G5 iMac having our user ID's sycned and fast user switchinged up, etc. etc. and veeeery few beachballs.

So first, the 256mb of Memory it has now is listed as "built in". Does that mean I cannot remove it and upgrade that stick? What's the max this iBook can handle (2gb?)? Also, to run Tiger (and in the future maybe Leopard) off this thing w/o it being painful, how much RAM do I need.

The iBook will most likely be used for the iLife apps, skype, and basic stuff like that. Although we'd like to have the option of doing some photo editing on it. That said, I'd rather use the iMac as the primary repository of HD space, simply because it has so much more. Blah blah blah.

So, to sum up. how much RAM is needed to run Tiger (and later Leopard) for multiple users, etc on a G4 with reasonable speed.

Also, if you know-- with what we know about Leapard now, is it going to make sense to try and run it on an 1.07 G4 or is this laptop basically going to be stuck at Tiger?

Thanks for any and all help

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 04:31 PM

That's correct, 256MB is soldered to the logic board. You have one slot that can accept up to a 1GB SO-DIMM. I recommend going to 1.25GB for Tiger, and definately for Leopard, if you want to avoid beachballs with multiple users and multiple apps. With the way current prices are going (DDR becoming more expensive as production capacity shifts to DDR2), I'd buy the 1GB upgrade today. Crucial has the correct part for $167.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 04:35 PM

The iBook G4, the rev that you have, can support up to 1.25GB of RAM... it has 256 built in which cannot be changed, then there is one RAM slot, which can accommodate a 1GB stick.

If you want to use iLife & fast user switching on the iBook, I would suggest you max the RAM out.

Edit: Grr, mduell beat me to it
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icibaqu  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2006, 04:58 PM

thanks! that was quick!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Edit: Grr, mduell beat me to it
C'mon man, I gave you ten whole minutes to post before me. I even went to get the memory link at Crucial!

Forum Links
Forum Rules