Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iTunes Server

iTunes Server
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2015, 09:37 PM

My wife's notebook is getting full and I want it move her iTunes library to an external drive. Is the WD Mycloud a good option? If not is there a better one? I would want her to be able to not have to keep the drive connected to the notebook. I was thinking of moving her iTunes library and mine to my Asutor server but I am not 100% sold on that option yet. Mine is stored on my external thunderbolt raid my Lacie. She does not have a huge library, probably 200 gb's or so but I would also move her photos if possible.

Thanks

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2015, 10:36 PM

*sigh*. I tried the same thing.

More than 1 TB of songs, movies, TV series, moved my iTunes Library on my Synology.
After more than 2 years of working somewhat, with occasional hiccups, everything is no in shambles.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...c/#post4325983

Files got completely corrupted and damaged, I need to restore everything from backup, and start a complete new iTunes Library.

iTunes is just such a cluster#$%, there's almost nothing you can do that will make it work with a big library.
I'm not sure at this point what I'm going to do.

-t

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2015, 08:10 PM

Dumb question..... if I create a share on my Asustor NAS and move my wife's iTunes library there will I be able to use time machine to back that up? I would have the drive mounted at boot but since it uses EXT4 I think as the file system I am not sure it will work.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2015, 12:04 AM

Not sure it will work.

Time Machine will only back up locally mounted drives (like USD or Firewire), as you know.
I have never seen anything that would make a NAS pretend to be a local HD, effectively fooling Time Machine.

-t

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2015, 10:17 AM

Time Machine can absolutely backup to a network drive...be sure to connect to the network share via AFP. or if you have to use SMB, make sure it's creating a sparse bundle.

Edit: I misread. You're asking if a network drive can be backed up via TM like a local drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules