Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New Hard Drive for 6400

New Hard Drive for 6400
Coach
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2001, 12:54 PM

I'm not a hardware guy and I am looking for a new hard drive for my Performa. Any suggestions? Prices?

Thanks

infiniti
Feb 2, 2001, 02:50 PM

Anything IDE will work...

I'm not a hard drive expert, but I'm happy with my Quantum FireBall LM 20GB in my 6400 right now. The only problem with buying an ATA/66 or even ATA/33 drive for a 6400 is that the 6400's max transfer rate is something like 16MB/sec, as compared to ATA/33's 33Mb/sec and ATA/66's 66MB/sec. However, the nice thing is that once you upgrade, you'll have a nice, (relatively) fast drive for your G4 or whatever else is comming down the pipe.

Don't quote me on any of those throughput figures, by the way, as i'm not a hard drive expert, like I said before.

Good luck with your install,
infiniti
12" iBook 900

Forum Links
Forum Rules