Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > So, your 15" AlBook is back from "white spot treatment". How's it holding up?

So, your 15" AlBook is back from "white spot treatment". How's it holding up?
Eddie Hellion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 12:16 AM

I was wondering how long after mine gets back from repair can I expect to see the white spots again. I hear this is a recurring problem with the 15" Aluminum model and to be honest, it's really worrying me. Maybe I should ebay the thing and get a 12" until they find a vaccine for the "White Pox".
Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'...they're burried in my back yard!

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 02:30 AM

Mine lasted four days.

They are coming back more slowly, but they are coming back.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

spotze23
Oct 25, 2003, 09:52 AM

i will wait untill the problem is solved. then i will send it in. if you let applesupport know about your problem you can send it in for replacement anytime.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 10:31 AM

the spots are coming back after the units have been fixed??? that's mighty lame. mine is in getting fixed a mere three weeks after purchase. that's what we all get for buying rev 1 machines.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 10:40 AM

Bottom line: Apple has no fix.

Like I said in the other thread, I have $7K ready to go to buy Macs to replace ALL of my Windows machines. Until the PB issue is worked out, however, I'll stick with what I have.

The fact that this issue is still going on is laughable. Apple is "repairing" PBs with equally defective screens to buy time so they can find a more viable solution. Why don't they just issue a recall?

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 02:40 PM

I'm kind of the exception to the rule here, but this is my story. On my 4th powerbook now. With each of the ones I had before, I took it into my Apple Store within 10 days and got a replacement.

#1 - Bad Airport Extreme Connector
#2 & 3 - White Spots

This 4th one so far has a near perfect screen. One very tiny microspot (about a half mililmeter in size) that I literally have to squint to see. If it stays like this I will be happy with the machine.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 03:04 PM

Well my new laptop comes in Monday, and if there is a whitespot on it I think I might down grade to a 12 inch powerbook. Would apple allow me to do this or what?
I purchased it the first day apple release the new line of pbs, BUT tech supported waited 2 weeks to get back to me on a replacement. Although they did agree with me on the situation, and sent me a new powerbook. I did try to solve this problem within the 10 day period but apple seemed to have taken their time.
:/
If this is an on going problem I will probably just downgrade to a 12 inch powerbook.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 25, 2003, 03:38 PM

Can anyone post a screenshot of what this White Spot deal looks like? I just got a 15" Al book and would like to know what to watch out for.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 05:15 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules