Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" ship times anyone?

15" ship times anyone?
goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2003, 05:42 PM

OK.... so this isn't a its-just-released-and-I-ordered-mine-an-hour-after-the-keynote thread, but does anyone here hasve a 1.25 15" on order?

Apple's replacing my TiBook with one and they quoted me a ship date of the 19th, and they started the process on October 30th. I don't know much in the way of specs, but I was quoted a 5-7 day building time. Whats the deal? Anyone else getting long ship dates? As far as I know the only extra thing Apple said they were adding was another 512 mb's of ram.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

EvanV
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 05:53 PM

2-3 weeks for stock or with 512 mb ram.

4-6 weeks with 5400 rpm drive.

I ordered on 26th of Sept and still havent gotten mine yet. Was pushed back to Oct. 31, then to Dec. 23.. Then I cancelled and ordered stock (I had 5400 RPM), now it is Dec. 1.... Not too bad. Saved 164 also (CDN).

ntalbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 09:43 AM

I ordered a 15" 1.25Ghz with 5400 driver on Oct. 30th... scheduled to ship on 12/22. Of course, I'm hoping it's a little early, since I'll probably be out of town for Christmas it comes on the 25th of December

krux`
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2003, 01:34 PM

PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/1GB/80/CMBO/AP/BL/LL
Open Est. Ship 11/25/2003

That's the est. on or before for me.

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 03:25 AM

wow, that's quite a delay for the drive. for those of you who have used the faster drive, is there a noticeable difference?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2003, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by ntalbott:
I ordered a 15" 1.25Ghz with 5400 driver on Oct. 30th... scheduled to ship on 12/22. Of course, I'm hoping it's a little early, since I'll probably be out of town for Christmas it comes on the 25th of December
Sounds, just like my TiBook's ship schedule.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2003, 09:04 AM

So my order that was placed during the last week of Oct (standard 1.25 15") is finally shipping. Est time was 11/24, but last week they hit up my credit card, and now its shipping. just so you guys know.

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 11:35 AM

Ordered 11/7 3PM PST

Shipping on or before 12/2

15.2/1.25GHZ/512/80/SD/AP/BL/LL

This is a replacement for my current AlBook.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

jendmb34
Nov 11, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by kidtexas:
So my order that was placed during the last week of Oct (standard 1.25 15") is finally shipping. Est time was 11/24, but last week they hit up my credit card, and now its shipping. just so you guys know.
well that's promising.

last night i ordered the standard 15" with the superdrive and upgraded to 1 SO 512 MB DIMM. estimated to ship on or before 12/4.

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 09:17 PM

I ordered mine on OCt 11TH.
It was supposed to ship Nov 4TH then on Nov. 4TH I got the dreaded delay e-mail saying it would ship on the 28TH.

Well today I check my e-mail and it appears my PB has shipped!

So for those of you waiting for stock ones, it appears that the production line is flowing again and the wait may not be as long as you expected. I had myself prepped for the 28TH but am so happy that it was only delayed a week after the initial ship date instead of 3 weeks.

I'm soo pumped, supposed to be here on Friday!

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 09:49 PM

I ordered my 15" 1.25Ghz, Superdrive, CTO with the 60GB HDD on 11/30 and was told by a rep at the Australian Apple Store thirty minutes ago that the machines are at least 2-3 weeks away but they weren't sure - they can't give me an expected date for delivery.

One retailer i talked to yesterday said Apple have over 800 orders for the 15" PB in Australia alone, this would account for some of the delay, he also said that SuperDrives were not available and that all new orders are now shipping with an LG display instead of the original Fujitsu.

Perhaps Steve should get the folks in finance and logistics at Apple to talk occasionally and get themselves organised so they can fill our orders without unreasonable delays.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 10:35 PM

It's my opinion these days that Apple or one of its contractors is just totally unprepared for whenever demand surges for a particular product, because they can't afford to overproduce stock. The G4 iMac, the G5, and now the 15" aluminum PowerBook - in every case there's a mad rush that triggers delays.

Either that, or they still need to sort out their assembly mechanisms in terms of QA and speed.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

zpaine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by jendmb34:
well that's promising.

last night i ordered the standard 15" with the superdrive and upgraded to 1 SO 512 MB DIMM. estimated to ship on or before 12/4.

Well, that is the exact machine and ship date that I recieved when I ordered on 11/11. The question I have is, has anybody been getting their machines earlier than expected, or are most people getting their ship dates pushed back?

This may be a good patience building exercise... but I want it now!

jendmb34
Nov 12, 2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by zpaine:
Well, that is the exact machine and ship date that I recieved when I ordered on 11/11. The question I have is, has anybody been getting their machines earlier than expected, or are most people getting their ship dates pushed back?

This may be a good patience building exercise... but I want it now!
i want it right now, but when i ordered it, i kinda knew what i was in for. i gave in though, and ordered despite some of the reported problems with the 15" PBs. here's to hoping we're okay. is this your first mac? i'm psyched and thinking about it waaay to much!

there are so many other things i want with it, but i'm holding off, at least for awhile, after shelling out so much money for the laptop and mouse (Logitech MX700).

i'd like the harman kardon soundsticks, a 20gb ipod, the icurve stand, the apple wireless keyboard, airport base station, powermate usb volume control... ahh! seeing people's setups in that thread here doesn't help my wish list at all.
( Last edited by jendmb34; Nov 12, 2003 at 02:02 PM. )

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 09:13 AM

My wife and I both ordered 15" PBs on 11/12/03 (separate educational orders, we're both advanced degree students). Status is still "open," but the estimated shipping date is "on or before 12/04/2003."

We ordered:
PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/CMBO/AP/SW1/BLL

Will keep you posted!

Forum Links
Forum Rules