Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying a new 15!

Buying a new 15!
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 02:24 AM

I've read in various places that the white spots are going away and Apple is reinforcing the displays of the 15" PowerBooks. So...I'm going to buy a stock "15in with SuperDrive" 1.25 GHz PowerBook on Friday. I'd like to up the RAM to 1x512 instead of 2x256, but $2500 is my absolute limit, including the educational discount. *crosses fingers for no dead/stuck pixels or white spots* This will be my first new portable since my Wallstreet G3/233, which is now literally falling apart, however I'm typing on it now. I might opt for only a 60 gig drive, as I bought a 40GB iPod a few weeks back...How long do BTO orders take?

This post is pretty pointless, but I couldn't contain my excitement :-P

krux`
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 03:05 AM

My 15" is the superdrive one without the superdrive, (backlit keyboard) with 1x512 stock, and an extra 512 from memorytogo.com - it shipped today with faster shipping than i payed for and 7 days early!

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 03:29 AM

Normally I'd always recommend the edu deal--but consider the bundle from MacConnection.com. Their price is $2594 including shipping, but for that you get 2x512 MB installed for free, and they say it only adds a day to the order--which starts out as a stock 1.25/Superdrive machine. That's 1 GB RAM, and RAM is a good thing! They also throw in a laptop messenger bag, a laptop lock, and (optionally) an Epson printer/scanner/color copier. All free. That may actually be BETTER than the edu deal, if you want that extra stuff.

My order is in--backordered until the 26th.
nagromme

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 08:15 AM

Hmm, that extrastuff is nice, especially the RAM, but I'm trying to limit myself to no more than $2500, including tax/shipping...If I start going over by just a bit, I just *know* and AirPort Extreme base station will end up in my order as well.

Yeah, I know AirPort is nice and all, but I'm still using Poor Man's AirPort (aka a 50' ethernet cable strategically placed under trim and around doorways). Plus, the transfers are faster over copper than air. Heck, if gigabit switches weren't so expensive, I'd run gigabit from my tower to my laptop :-P

machem
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2003, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
I've read in various places that the white spots are going away and Apple is reinforcing the displays of the 15" PowerBooks. So...I'm going to buy a stock "15in with SuperDrive" 1.25 GHz PowerBook on Friday. I'd like to up the RAM to 1x512 instead of 2x256, but $2500 is my absolute limit, including the educational discount. *crosses fingers for no dead/stuck pixels or white spots* This will be my first new portable since my Wallstreet G3/233, which is now literally falling apart, however I'm typing on it now. I might opt for only a 60 gig drive, as I bought a 40GB iPod a few weeks back...How long do BTO orders take?

This post is pretty pointless, but I couldn't contain my excitement :-P
This may be pertinent for you:

Code:
Dear Apple Customer, The following products shipped on 11/19/2003. Transit time will depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive within 10 days of shipment. Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price _______________________________________________ _______________________________________________ Z07E02CSU PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/80/SD/AP/BL/LL 1 2,389.00 With the following configuration: Processor 065-4116 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 Memory 065-4541 512MB DDR333 SDRAM Hard Drive 065-4118 80GB Ultra ATA Drive@4200rpm Optical Drive 065-4119 Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW) Country Kit 065-4496 Country Kit/Airport Extreme Custom SW I 065-4657 Not Applicable Keyboard/Mac OS Language 065-4495 BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS ________________________________________________
This was ordered 11/7. Originally quoted to ship "On or before 12/2". It is a replacement machine, so it may have been expidited, I'm not sure.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by machem:
This was ordered 11/7. Originally quoted to ship "On or before 12/2". It is a replacement machine, so it may have been expidited, I'm not sure. [/B]
That's good news! My order is very similar to yours. I ordered on 11/12 and have an estimated ship date of "on or before 12/4." It would be a nice surprise for it to ship a little early!

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
Normally I'd always recommend the edu deal--but consider the bundle from MacConnection.com. Their price is $2594 including shipping, but for that you get 2x512 MB installed for free, and they say it only adds a day to the order--which starts out as a stock 1.25/Superdrive machine. That's 1 GB RAM, and RAM is a good thing! They also throw in a laptop messenger bag, a laptop lock, and (optionally) an Epson printer/scanner/color copier. All free. That may actually be BETTER than the edu deal, if you want that extra stuff.

My order is in--backordered until the 26th.
My fianc� just did the MacConnection deal with all the free stuff (she's switching from Windows ). The PB arrived today (15" 1Ghz)... it's such a beaftiful machine. She's a grad student but since you have to pay tax on top of edu pricing, tax-free from MacConnection won out.

After the 3 rebates and FREE shipping it comes to $1994.00 for the Alu 15" 1Ghz 768MB, Panther pre-installed, Epson multi-function, carrying case (although it's kind of huge), and the laptop lock thing. She needs to add an airport card though... and ideally needs to swap in another 512 since 768MB isn't quite enough. I wish she went with the 1.25 backlit w/ superdrive!

Keep the rubber side down!

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2003, 07:27 PM

I got my machine today, and she is beautiful. A solid LCD with no dead pixels or white spots to be found! Getting awesome framerates in Quake 3 (though the widescreen custom width and height stretch it funny...anyone know how to fix this?), and all the Pro apps run beautifullly. If I could have one single complaint, it would be that the mouse button is a little loose for my liking, but it's already starting to right itself. Not to worry, though.. What an awesome awesome machine. I couldn't be happier with it.

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 02:48 AM

i would love to hear about the condition of the PB in week intervals. The spots have been documented to appear later on... But if they are gone, that is some wonderful news indeed.

h!

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
I got my machine today, and she is beautiful. A solid LCD with no dead pixels or white spots to be found! Getting awesome framerates in Quake 3 (though the widescreen custom width and height stretch it funny...anyone know how to fix this?), and all the Pro apps run beautifullly. If I could have one single complaint, it would be that the mouse button is a little loose for my liking, but it's already starting to right itself. Not to worry, though.. What an awesome awesome machine. I couldn't be happier with it.
--
En Guarde!

Forum Links
Forum Rules