Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dension Ice>Link in Apple Store UK

Dension Ice>Link in Apple Store UK
ajbaker
Oct 17, 2005, 11:40 AM

Hi all.

I am wanting to buy the Dension Ice>Link and a Nano in the UK. However I am having problems getting sensible info from Apple or Dension.

I want to buy both from Apple to use a discount voucher I have for the Store. However in the UK, they only have Dension Ice>Links available for BMW, BMW or Fiat. However there does not appear to be any model separation on the Dension web site - instead it just lists the Ice>Link Plus.

I will be connecting to a relatively old Alpine CDM something. The Dension web site states this should be compatible. Again it doesnt state that I need a specific Ice>Link Plus.

My question is, can I buy the Ice>Link Plus Fiat from the Apple Store and presume that it will work with my Alpine headset? I am assuming not. If not, why on earth do Apple only stock versions for BMW and Fiat?!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 12:57 PM

i would either ring/email Dension direct or call one of the other companies list on their website, get the correct specs for your head unit then email Apple to confirm they have the right one and can you use your voucher to purchase it.

let us know how you get on, my mate is looking at getting this.

ajbaker  (op)
Oct 17, 2005, 01:21 PM

This gets worse! I have just spoken to Apple who confirm the Fiat model comes with an 8 pin DIN connector, which I know is what I require for the Alpine. They confirm, I quote "the Fiat model will be compatible with your Alpine headset." But I doubt it.

From what I can make out, the Ice>Link Plus includes the following items:
Ice Link Plus
Vehicle specific 'installation harness'
Cradle for iPod
Cradle adapter for iPod Mini

Obviously the only specific item is the 'harness'. Now, Dension say if you want to change your car but keep the Ice Link, you only need to chagne the 'harness'. Since these are relatively inexpensive (Cooltopia) I strongly suspect they are actually just cables, given a fancy name.

As you can see on the Cooltopia site, each cable costs just £15. The Fiat and Alpine cables are both 8 pin As Apple state. However the Alpine is listed as MBUS 8pin DIN and the Fiat 8 pin ISO. Whats the difference between DIN and ISO?

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 05:46 AM

i maybe wrong on this but i don't think there is a difference between DIN and ISO - but i can't find anything on the t'internet to back this statement up. sorry. i'll ask one of my clever mates for help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules