Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Can I use 2 Graphic Cards on my MAC PRO ?

Can I use 2 Graphic Cards on my MAC PRO ?
YuSa28
Feb 12, 2009, 05:02 PM

Can I use 2 Graphic Cards on my MAC PRO ? This are the model of the graphics cards: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB and this is the model of my MAC PRO:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 7 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

Thank you very much.
I Mac Pro 4-Core (2 Dual-Core 2.66GHZ Intel Xeon), with 7 GB memory, 1 HD MAXTOR 320 GB, 2 HD MAXTOR 250 GB and 3 HD WD (apple original) 250 GB, 4 HD MAXTOR 200 GB, 1 SONY DVD RW DW-D150A (apple original. (upper) and 1 PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D (bottom) I 15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2,8 GHZ, 4GB RAM, 500HD, Superdrive I Mac Pro 4-Core - 2.66 I 2 30" DELL Display I iPod Video Black 30 GB. I iSight Cam I Nikon D90 SRL I iPhone 4 - 32GB I Apple Magic Mouse I Apple Magic TrackPad I

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 12, 2009, 05:13 PM

i dont know much off the top of my head about SLI but i think they need to be the same card, i could be wrong
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 05:41 PM

deleted

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 06:52 PM

I believe SLI has to be the same card. Also, SLI does not current work under OS X. You would have to be booted into Windows to benefit from 2 graphics cards.

Edit: Apparently nVidia has SLI working under 10.5.6? I did a search on Google. Maybe someone else can verify. I'm still fairly certain they have to be identical video cards.
( Last edited by olePigeon; Feb 12, 2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Maybe you can?)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 12, 2009, 07:04 PM

i know apple released a GT8800 or something SLI upgrade for the Mac Pro

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2009, 08:01 PM

Yes, but be careful to buy the correct version of the 8800GT (the retail one, not the one that shipped with new 2008 Mac Pros).

Asymmetric SLI won't work, but the OP didn't say anything about SLI.

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2009, 03:22 PM

I run both a 1900XT and a 7300GT graphics cards in my first generation Mac Pro. On the Mac side it works perfect. Firing the box up under XP, I've run into conflicts with how Windows XP attempts to manage the desktop when I've tried to extend the desktop using more than one of graphics cards. If you need more than two display on the Windows side, then use identical cards. On the Mac side you can mix and match all day. However, be aware that if you use two screaming cards, you may not get the throughput you hoped for because the PCI bus has a maximum pipeline size that can be exceeded.

That said, when you install new PCI cards upon start-up, the Mac Pro will ask you how you want to manage the PCI bus pipeline.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2009, 07:48 PM

Some graphics apps function poorly with mix-and-match card installations. I am surprised at Eric's success.

Note also that some cards require a particular OS version.

-Allen Wicks

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
i know apple released a GT8800 or something SLI upgrade for the Mac Pro
Really? Link?
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 16, 2009, 06:11 PM

i thought i read it a while back, but cant seem to find it now, i think i maybe confusing myself but i did find a review on the GT 8800 on the apple store who claims to have the cards running in SLI via an SLI ribbon:

This Card Runs really nice in 2008 Mac Pro. I have 2 of these cards installed and have the SLI ribbon connecting them. OS 10.5.2 runs Battlefield 2142 uses both cards in 10.5.2. They are running as one card in my Winders Vister Ultimate 64. I bought a third card just to try in my 2007 8 core Mac Pro. Did not work. I tried the PCIe utility in system/library/core service/ expansion slot utility. Nothing worked. And yes I tried it with my ATI x1900xt and put the 8800GT in slot one and the ATI in slot three. Booted to winders with a card on the nvidia and still nothing. My poor 8 Core from 2007 won't work with this card installed. Happy Gaming.

so sorry if ive got your hopes up under false intense but it might not be all doom and gloom

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 16, 2009, 08:57 PM

<off topic>
Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
Why's the subwoofer using up valuable desk space, when they work best on the floor?</ot>

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
i thought i read it a while back, but cant seem to find it now, i think i maybe confusing myself but i did find a review on the GT 8800 on the apple store who claims to have the cards running in SLI via an SLI ribbon:

so sorry if ive got your hopes up under false intense but it might not be all doom and gloom

It is not your fault, I am skeptical of this persons claims, but what the hell, all I can do is try and see what happens.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Feb 17, 2009, 07:12 AM

tbh i dont know much about he SLI, i just thought i had read it on engadget at one point, maybe it was a speculation, that runed out to be false, but for some reason i thought i saw it on the apple store........ OMG...... i just got the cleverness in the iphones title of "app store" Application/Apple Store, lols

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 09:08 PM

2 8800GTs work in a Mac Pro in OS X, but I'm really skeptical you can use SLI; they probably even work if you connect an SLI bridge, which they ignore.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2009, 03:09 PM

Google mentions something about Titan.kext for enabling SLI under OS X. I'd look into it more, but I'm leaving for lunch.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules