Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Photo from Endgadget: Anti-Glare vs Glare Screen

Photo from Endgadget: Anti-Glare vs Glare Screen
Urkel
Mar 6, 2009, 05:36 PM

I was reading the Engadget Review of the 17" MBP and this photo really expresses what people have been complaining about with these new screens.

I have an MBP that I absolutely love but that glassy screen definitely does get in the way of productivity sometimes. (BTW. Apple's decision to go with "Anti-Glare" over Matte is interesting. It's like saying would you prefer the 'Anti-Exploding Car' or that other one?")

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2009, 06:32 PM

MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2009, 06:41 PM

So it's really annoying that you can see yourself when the machine is turned off?

(And ****, man, do we really need this discussion the sixtieth time? Geez. Get a job.)

Urkel  (op)
Mar 6, 2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
(And ****, man, do we really need this discussion the sixtieth time? Geez. Get a job.)
Says the guy with 11,000 posts.

I also linked the Engadget 17" Review so if it will make you feel better you can use your mod powers to retitle the post to something more to your liking. Oh wait... you're not a mod.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2009, 09:30 PM

(And ****, man, do we really need this discussion the sixtieth time?
Yes we most definitely do.

The glossy screen is one bad decision by Apple.

(And ****, man, do we really need this discussion the sixtieth time?
Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
Says the guy with 11,000 posts.

I also linked the Engadget 17" Review so if it will make you feel better you can use your mod powers to retitle the post to something more to your liking. Oh wait... you're not a mod.
Well said !

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 6, 2009, 10:27 PM

I was reading the Engadget Review of the 17" MBP and this photo really expresses what people have been complaining about with these new screens.

I have an MBP that I absolutely love but that glassy screen definitely does get in the way of productivity sometimes. (BTW. Apple's decision to go with "Anti-Glare" over Matte is interesting. It's like saying would you prefer the 'Anti-Exploding Car' or that other one?")
I notice that to get that picture, the photographer had to be precisely in front of the screen, and only with specific lighting did he get that image. Unless these new screens are WAY more reflective than the original MBP's glossy screens, I still don't see how they are more problematic than a quick adjustment of where the machine sits or what angle the display is at would cure.

Oh, and "matte" is not identically equal to "anti-glare." It appears that the "anti-glare" treatment is a much finer grained finish than the matte finish on my own original MBP screen. Not so much "anti-exploding car," as "car that's very, very hard to get to explode."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2009, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Yes we most definitely do.

The glossy screen is one bad decision by Apple.

Well said !
In other news, OS 9 is much better than OS X.

I see perfeshonals argue on the interweb eight hours a day over how it's impossible to work in X, so it must be true.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2009, 05:00 AM

In other news, OS 9 is much better than OS X.

I see perfeshonals argue on the interweb eight hours a day over how it's impossible to work in X, so it must be true.
Is it a co-incidence that the ID last 4 letters re-arranged spell TROL?

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2009, 05:07 AM

Yes.

Did you know that my user name is actually an anagram for "Dead Horse"?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2009, 07:50 AM

This subject again, it has been beaten to death and there's no real solution. Some people hate glossy screens, others don't

Get over it people, you think apple made a big mistake by going to glossy screens, we get it, we understand that, we don't need threads and links to justify your position.

I prefer a matte screen, but the MBP screen is great and I have no regrets, if you or anyone doesn't want a glossy screen you can
1. Not buy a MBP
2. Get a display panel replacement
3. apply a non-glossy film

For the record, I fail to see any laptops now a days in the real world that don't have glossy screens. I'm sure there's still companies that make them but they are the minority. The consumer likes the vibrant colors the glossy screen produces and we've already discussed hear ad nauseum how a glossy screen produces a more accurate color because there's no filter altering the image and producing a matte display.
~Mike

OreoCookie
Mar 7, 2009, 07:55 AM

I'm surprised nobody has quoted from the review about the quality of the screen: apparently the stuff that Apple's marketing department has been touting has a basis in truth
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

joe
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I notice that to get that picture, the photographer had to be precisely in front of the screen, and only with specific lighting did he get that image...
You don't have to be precisely in front to see the mirror effect. The photographer wanted to be in that shot. And background lighting is only half the problem, dark images on the unibody create the same effect even if it's pitch black. At least that was my experience until I bought an anti-glare film for my unibody MacBook Pro. My observations with and without the film:
- Glossy has better color, contrast, brightness, etc and looks better overall. But only in ideal lighting environments.
- Anti-glare works better on the go where you often face adverse lighting conditions. And the image quality hasn't been greatly reduced. The only problem is that now I'm trading off high reflectivity for little white bubbles around the edges.

Ideal Solution - bring that $50 factory anti-glare option across the entire notebook line. Glossy fans get the screen quality they want, those on the go get something more practical.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 01:39 PM

no...the ideal solution would be for the consumer to have a choice like years passed, how did having a choice between something so subjective become a $50 price hike for those that don't want a glossy screen. I wonder how the boards would be if apple decided to make everything matte again and charge 50 bucks for only the 17" to go glossy.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 22, 2009, 04:44 AM

(BTW. Apple's decision to go with "Anti-Glare" over Matte is interesting. It's like saying would you prefer the 'Anti-Exploding Car' or that other one?")
Apple never called them matte, they've called them anti-glare for as long as I am aware of. Just nobody paid attention to what it was called until there was an alternative.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2009, 06:10 PM

If they turned the screens on before taking the picture then the comparison would be better. who uses a laptop with a screen turned off?
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Poppakap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2009, 12:05 AM

On a practical level . . . Is there anywhere to see the anti-glare screen? The local Apple store said they will never have them on display. I'm trying to see what the trade-off in vibrancy etc. is in person.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2009, 04:37 PM

I've heard the same thing from my Apple Store. But I'm (mostly) happy with my MBP's glass screen.

joe
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Poppakap View Post
On a practical level . . . Is there anywhere to see the anti-glare screen? The local Apple store said they will never have them on display. I'm trying to see what the trade-off in vibrancy etc. is in person.
I saw the anti-glare version of the new 17" MacBook Pro at the Apple Store in the Lehigh Valley Mall (PA). Looks gorgeous! Even side by side with the glossy version! Same trade offs of course. Glossy has better color, clarity, etc. Anti-glare stands up better to the fluorescent lights & window glare. I'd pay the $50 option right now If I could get it on the high end 13" or low/mid 15" models. It seems a very reasonable price to pay for those that need anti-glare feature.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2009, 09:19 PM

i love my new 13" macbook...but would have paid $50 in a second for a matte screen (sigh)..
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2009, 10:38 PM

I just swapped out the glossy LCD in my Aspire One today. The difference is amazing and was totally worth the time and effort.

I hope to all that is holy that this glossy LCD crap is just a fad...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2009, 12:34 PM

i just saw the 17" uMBP w/matte screen at an Apple Store (Glendale CA)...

I'm sold... unless Apple tweaks their manufacturing process and adds an anti-glare option for the 13"/15" in the next year or so.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2009, 04:45 PM

17" matte means no glass pane on the screen. It means once again you're back to that nasty little crack between the screen and the bezel. Great place to collect lots of gunk and impossible to thoroughly clean. No thanks. I'll gladly take the pane of glass any day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules