Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder Background Color Won't Stick

Finder Background Color Won't Stick
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 04:50 AM

Instead of a default white Finder background, I use a blue hue similar to the one on the default Mac OS X background. I've done this on three previous Macs with no problem. My new MacBook won't hold the color.

It will let me assign the blue background, but the next time I open a window, the color could be anything... Bright pink, flourescent blue, dark green... You name it. If I click the Back button, then the Forward button to refresh the window, the correctly-assigned color usually returns.

For now I've disabled the colored backgrounds. When all backgrounds are white, there is no problem.

Anyone seen this before?

Machine: 2.0 GHz MacBook Core 2 Duo
OS Version: 10.4.8

And yeah, I know this is a dumb and trivial issue, so... Just indulge me, please.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 03:19 AM

It's been a little while... Bump.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 08:14 AM

Try repairing your permissions!
If that doesn't solve the problem you might have a corrupted color sync profile!
I had problems with the Finder background twice and it was always a bad profile!
Select a different one and check if the problem goes away...

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. At work now, but will certainly try that when I get home.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 02:18 AM

Same problem here.
Just repaired my permissions, and switched my ColorSync profile to a default Apple one... still no go.
The Window I'm trying to have using a different colour is my home folder.
When I keep the Finder Information window open, and open new Finder windows, it keeps switching between some randow colour and the one I had selected -- funnily, even the windows in the background keep switching colours. As soon as I close the information window, whatever colour Finder has chosen to use sticks; just never the one I want.

While it's no big deal, of course, I still find this less than confidence-inspiring.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 07:36 AM

Yeah, I never got back to my thread here to report that repairing permissions and updating the ColorSync profile did *not* work. I wonder whether this is an Intel Mac problem or an OS X problem?

tomrock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 08:39 AM

I've seen the same thing on my MacBook. I even showed an employee at an Apple store and he just scratched his head.

Forum Links
Forum Rules